• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My eBay story.

127 posts in this topic

Last year I shipped an item to Germany that, for some reason, took two full months to work its way through international customs.

International customs needs a laxative.

I recently had a somewhat similar problem with a package that went through German customs on the way to the U.K. (for some unfathomable reason). No such problems with the U.K. itself, though.

no international package with a tracking number starting with "L" is required to be scanned. In that regards, the 1st class rate and global flat rate envelope are the same. Useless for seller protection.

hm

no international package with a tracking number starting with "L" is required to be scanned. In that regards, the 1st class rate and global flat rate envelope are the same. Useless for seller protection.

hm

after almost 10 years of international shipping with only 1 issue, I had 3 in one month (all Canada). Kept pushing for information until finally speaking with someone from post office who explained it. I think the cheapest method that is required to be tracked is flat rate medium priority box. But there is an option to register the flat rate envelopes but it was an additional $12 last year before the hike.

I always heard you can track on Canada post but I never found 1 of my packages that were ever updated past Atlanta (for Canada) and Miami for everywhere else. I was doing 10-15 international packages per month at the time, so not a lot of volume.

I think the best option to cover yourself on international packages is the 3rd party insurance. But I never really investigated that option as the postage hike went through and I decided to pull the plug on international shipping until USPS got their act together.... which will probably be never.

I send a couple international packages a month I guess.

I am in Tampa & my items go through Miami & then abroad.

I have checked tracking status many times & it is always available.

However, I recall this happening once before -- no information from tracking. I don't recall how it resolved, though. It must have been well over a year ago as my memory is mighty powerful.

I think the tracking problem stems for the USPS not Canada Post. I can track any parcel going south plus it gets scans as soon as its dropped off at the po.

'the international buyer'

However, 10 days isn't terribly long for 1st Class to the UK from the US.

It's really not. I'd have been dancing in the streets if my recent UK>US packages had arrived in 10 days. I'd wait at least double that amount of time before issuing a refund.

Even if the buyer is a generally good fellow -- and to my great luck I've found 'most' ebay buyers are -- it seems to invite temptation if you issue a full refund and the book reaches him a few days later.

Sold a $500 book on eBay to a chap in Wales.

Got this from him this morning:

Hi

Any idea when this might arrive with me?

Thanks

My reply:

Good morning,

The tracking is LK098988056US & is from 2/18. However, both eBay & USPS online show no information & in fact don't indicate that the item was accepted yet. This is alarming as, while I no longer have a specific recollection of delivering the item to the PO, I have no doubt that I did as there's nothing else I would have done with it. I follow precise routines & protocols when shipping. I am concerned. However, 10 days isn't terribly long for 1st Class to the UK from the US. If the item doesn't arrive, I will refund your money in FULL. NO questions asked. Please let me know when you think the time has arrived for a refund. I'll leave it entirely to your discretion as I take full responsibility for all shipments. I'm sorry for this worry. It is an expensive book. Thank you for your forbearance & professionalism. I will check with my PO in person this morning (as opposed to online only as I just did) & will let you know. I am very sorry, again. Thank you, Bill

Sorry this happened. This is the reason I now wait in line at the post office and have them scan in the package. I believe I posted about this before and was met with nasty comments.

Anyway, the post office may not assist you in this case as the package looks like it wasn't even processed yet. Most likely the package will show up without any problems. If the buyer is patient I would ask him to wait another week.

Good luck.

While we're on the subject of international shipping, do you ever encounter foreign buyers who, after winning an auction item and paying for it, ask you to write false information (such as item value, or "commercial goods" vs. "gift") on the customs form?

I've put disclaimers on my auctions such as "I will not declare a false value on a customs form," and people routinely ignore it or fail to read it. Then they're all, "Hey man, say this cost $15 instead of $90 and mark it as a gift, mmkay? That would be grrrrreeeat. Thx!" Is there a nice way to tell buyers "no," or is it better just to ignore them and fill out the customs form as you would anyway? Are the customs costs so high in other countries?

While we're on the subject of international shipping, do you ever encounter foreign buyers who, after winning an auction item and paying for it, ask you to write false information (such as item value, or "commercial goods" vs. "gift") on the customs form?

I've put disclaimers on my auctions such as "I will not declare a false value on a customs form," and people routinely ignore it or fail to read it. Then they're all, "Hey man, say this cost $15 instead of $90 and mark it as a gift, mmkay? That would be grrrrreeeat. Thx!" Is there a nice way to tell buyers "no," or is it better just to ignore them and fill out the customs form as you would anyway? Are the customs costs so high in other countries?

I would just say "I'd rather not, thanks for understanding."

If I was to other guy, I would understand completely.

True. But it is loaded with my own attention whoring.

I am hoping that the Welshman has a drop shipping accomplice on the Isle of Man and that there is a trade for a Chinese container of bootleg Secret Wars duvees going down.

I am hoping that the Welshman has a drop shipping accomplice on the Isle of Man and that there is a trade for a Chinese container of bootleg Secret Wars duvees going down.

Things are going to get complicated before they get awesome.

Things are going to get complicated before they get awesome.

Especially when you find out they hired Jason Statham to drive the duvees around!