• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know how many issues the Silver Age consists of?

34 posts in this topic

A rough estimation I did comes up with somewhere in the range of 1500 different Silver Age comics being produced during that age.Does anyone have a better number?My methodalogy was quite rough.I'm just counting Marvel and DC books.

A rough estimation I did comes up with somewhere in the range of 1500 different Silver Age comics being produced during that age.

That sounds way too low to me. Maybe Valiantman can help... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeah, sounds low, theres 100 Spideys alone. SO figure 100 times each key Marvel title plus 80 for DCs since theycame out only 8 times a year and that would be way more than 1500

if you sopent the time you could just add them all up on those sites that show all the covers fo each bokk in each month of every year... That way youd include the romance books an dthe cartoon humor oddities.

Don't we need to define the silver age (for purposes of this count) first? No one can seem to agree on the end of silver / start of bronze, so any count would depend on the cutoff dates.

I would use showcase 4 to conan 1, but that's just me confused-smiley-013.gif I've head some people argue GSX is the beginning of the bronze age - that's a five year difference. Now, what they're smoking to think GSX started the bronze age, I don't know wink.gif

It gets a bit confusing where to make the split between the ages. Conan#1 is BA and has a 15 cent coverprice,whereas some FF 15centers are considered SA.

I figured anything before the one month 25 cent covers as SA,just because I had to pick somewhere to be consistent.

Spidey-101 issues

Avengers-92

Cap America-42

Captain Marvel-21

Captain Savage-15(Is this the most obscure Marvel SA title?)

Daredevil-80

Doc Strange-15

FF-115

FantasyMasterpiece/MSH-31

Ghost Rider-7

Hulk-49

TOS/IronMan-102

TTA-67

JIM?Thor-109

SGT Rock-90

Submariner-42

Surfer-18

X-men-71

Thats about 1050 books. I'm sure I left out a few obscure titles and I know I left out all the Annuals,so I'll kick in another 100 books(10%)

I'm guesstimating 1150 Marvels.

Would DC have double that?I really don't know their frequency of publication. I know some books were monthly.,some were bi-monthly and some were published 8 times a year. Also some of their 25 cent giants are cross-listed.

What about Strange Tales and Marvel Tales?

And I think 100 is way too low for the obscure titles. Just off the top of my head I can think of Millie the Model, Kathy, Gunsmoke Western, Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt, all of which were long runs, and also My Love, Our Love, Peter the Pest, Lil Kids, Homer the happy ghost, which were short runs, but all had some books before the arrival of the 25 centers. I'm pretty sure all the early bronze stuff like Tower of shadows and Chamber of Darkness would meet your definition as well.

I'd be surprised if the Marvels alone weren't at least 1500 by the time you counted everything... in fact, I think just adding strange tales, marvel tales, millie, kathy, gunsmoke western, rawhide kid, and kid colt would take you close to or over that number before we even started considering the short runs.

and Two gun kid too.

And DC had twice as many title Im guessing.

But Shad, whatever the number. collecting the entire DC Marvel SA is doable, but you have to go through Blackhawks. Rudolph, romance books etc to get there. not pretty!!

You can query the Grand Comics Database (www.comics.org) using "Advanced Search" to get a list of books published by publisher by year. Unfortunately, the Advanced Search feature is currently unavailable...

I didn't count Marvel Tales as that was a complete reprint title.Did leave out the Strange Tales,though so add another 69 books.

The westerns are hard to figure. Two Gun Kid for example,is listed as a monthly book yet has only 33 issues with 12 or 15 cent covers.Kid Colt has 55 similar covers. Anyone know the reason for the shortage of issues.

For myself,I'm only collecting the SH issues so titles like Milie don't affect me,but I would like to know how many issues are out there. thumbsup2.gif

So you're only counting 12 and 15c covers? If we're starting the SA at showcase 4, there's a good five or six years of 10c covers as well.... unless you're using different dates for DC and marvel, although I've always thought that cutoffs should be consistent across publishers. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Doesn't it bother anyone that people who consider themselves experts on the SA(including myself) don't know how many books it encases,and can't even agree on which books it contains.

My goal is all 12/15/20 cent Marvel super-heroes,which will eventually grow to include the 10cent Marvel hero books(both of them).

I know what you mean, but I guess that's what happens when we use arbitrary labels like "silver age" to try to identify what are usually gradually-changing trends... juggle.gif

I actually like the fact that "silver age" is kind of a nebulous term - it reflects the nature of the beast IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

It doesnt bother me. We all know Silver Age when we mean it, and its clear what we mean except at the fringes. But so what right? I also never made a full list and counted it either. Ive tried to get all of them that I wanted, which just never included th efashion titles, funny animals, etc. But I did go after Sea Devils and Blackhawk, but not Rip Hunter. Even Tomahawks when offered a big run or two.

Ill be curious to see the final figure once we al agree on what is an dwhat is not SIlver though! IF all can agree that is!

I know what you mean, but I guess that's what happens when we use arbitrary labels like "silver age" to try to identify what are usually gradually-changing trends... juggle.gif

I actually like the fact that "silver age" is kind of a nebulous term - it reflects the nature of the beast IMO. confused-smiley-013.gif

While I agree,it's alot easier to say I collect SA and early Bronze Marvel Super-heroes than to say I collect Marvels with cover-prices that range from twelve to twentyfive cents.

A rough estimation I did comes up with somewhere in the range of 1500 different Silver Age comics being produced during that age.

That sounds way too low to me. Maybe Valiantman can help... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just ran a "quick query" on the database...

There are almost exactly 9,000 different comic books

on the CGC census with dates from 1956 to 1969.

DC Comics - 3300+

Marvel Comics - 1500+

Dell Comics - 1300+

Gold Key - 700+

Harvey - 400+

etc.

If anyone is interested in just the "1960s", there are 7,000 from 1960-1969.

Books which have never been CGC graded are not included, of course.

On my Marvel Timeline spreadsheet I have 1443 issues published between 11/61 and 12/69.

That looks about right...

The CGC census is showing 1,561 Marvel books from 1/61 to 12/69.

67 are UK Editions

10 are Canadian

1 is Mexican

4 are Golden Record reprints

1 is a 12cent price variant

...leaving 1,478 'regular' Marvel books.

I believe 43 of those are between 1/61 and 10/61...

so... 1,435 'regular' Marvel books on the CGC census between 11/61 and 12/69.

(Any ideas on what books haven't been graded yet?

Or did your 1,443 include 'non-regular' issues, too?)