• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theagenes' Exotic Emporium of Esoterica Extraordinaire!

78 posts in this topic

Those of you who know me probably have some idea of my collecting interests---cool rare books, comics, pulps, fanzines and other hard to find oddball stuff, with a heavy bias toward Robert E. Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs. This thread will have a nice representative sample of all of that.

Books and pulps have grading terms that are slightly different that comics. VF in pulps is equivalent to NM in comics, Fine is VF, VG is VG+ or VG/FN, GD is GD, etc. For books Fine is the highest grade, with Near Fine equivilent to VF. The book and dj are each graded separately.

Note: my scanner is causing the glare on the inner well to make purple blobs. That's an artifact of the scanning not a defect.

US Domestic Shipping Rates: Priority mail for up to 3 slabs is $15; books are $10 plus $2 for each additional; up to five pulps for $10. Fanzines are $5. Foreign buyers (including Canada) PM me and we'll figure out the shipping. Returns for full refunds minus shipping if you're unsatisfied.

If you have any questions please ask, even if you're just curious about some of these rarely seen books. Time payments are possible for some of the more expensive items. I am very happy to entertain offers but as always, posting an unqualified :takeit: trumps any pending negotiations.

Enjoy and thanks for looking!

The Ultimate Triumph by Robert E. Howard (Wandering Star 1999) Limited Edition SIGNED by Frank Frazetta.

This is very rare item! For those who don't know, the Wandering Star series of limited editons are the definitive versions of Robert E. Howard's works. These gorgeous volumes were profusely illustrated, slipcased and signed and numbered by the artists (which included Gary Gianni, Mark Schultz, Gregory Manchess and others). This is the REH series that was reprinted by Delrey in trade paperback editions.

The Ultimate Triumph was the second book in the series and was illustrated by Frazetta. Unlike the other books in the series, it was numbered but not signed. This is because it was published after Frank had one of his strokes and he was unable to sign it. However, several years later, after he trained himself to write and draw with his left hand, he signed and hand-numbered 125 copies of the book that were sold exclusively through his museum. These are the only signed copies of this book.

This is a low number---no. 15 out 125. An inscription "To David" was added, presumably when the previous owner bought it at the museum. It is in "As New" condition with a Brodart dust jacket protector included.

The Ultimate Triumph is the only one of the Wandering Star series to not be reprinted by Delrey and thus has become one of the scarcest and most sought after and one of the few that has gone up in value. The regular trade HC edition (no slipcase, unnumbered) sells for $75-100. The regular numbered (unsigned) Limited Edition now sells in the $300-500 range. These editions signed by Frazetta never come up for sale and most are locked away in collections. This is very rare opportunity that might not come again for a long time. $1150 $1000 Reduced!

scan0022_zps7b2bb056.jpg

UT03.jpg

P1050169_zps31104acb.jpg

Conan the Conqueror by Robert E. Howard (Gnome Press 1950) - First Edition. The first Conan book in amazingly high grade! This book is gorgeous with a FLAWLESS original dust jacket. Often the orange cover fades badly with this book especially the spine, but not this one. A deep, rich orange without even a hint of fading. You will not find a better dj. Any discoloration or white spots you see are glare and reflections on the mylar dj protector.

The book itself is also in excellent condition with just a hint of rubbing at the spine tips and small "5." written in the upper right corner of the first end paper (would love to have been the guy who bought this for five bucks back in the day). A superb near fine book in an as new jacket. SOLD! :news:

CtCFine0001_zps42a51a16.jpg

CtCFine0002_zps158255fa.jpg

CtCFine0003_zps17a8ca78.jpg

CtCFine0004_zps2474120e.jpg

P1050174_zpse8b71575.jpg

Hi-Spot Comics 2 CGC 5.0 OW - David Innes (At the Earth's Core) by ERB with art by John Coleman Burroughs. If you know this book you know how rare it is, especially in anything above GD. This is a solid mid-grade copy that is about as nice as you'll ever find. Pressed by CI. It took me seven years of actively searching before I was able to upgrade my GD copy to this 5.0. I'm letting this go only because I recently acquired the Detroit Trolley copy which is in comparable condition (and I had been hounding Marnin about that one ever since he announced the collection years ago). This is another rare opportunity to snatch up a really nice copy of this ERB Golden Age grail. $575 $525 Reduced!

HiSpot0003_zpse741288a.jpg

HiSpot0001_zps84993c5e.jpg

scan0007_zps447c1f5f.jpg

Tip Top Comics 3 CGC 3.0 WHITE! - 3rd appearance of Tarzan in comics, with art by Hal Foster. Also the first real Tarzan cover and imo a tougher book than 1 or 2. How often do you see a white pager from 1936? A nice copy that presents better than the technical grade with a rich deep color strike. A tear on the bc (see scan) is what drops it to a 3.0. Also has one of the star-shaped punch outs on the logo that were a fairly common distributor (or remainder?) mark on both comics and in pulps in 1936 and 37. SOLD! :news:

scan0005_zps87e15c48.jpg

scan0006_zps3860a788.jpg

Marvel Tales 2 (1934) GD-VG. Scarce semi-prozine from the early days of fandom by William Crawsford. COntains the REH Hyborian Age story "The Garden of Fear." Vertical crease on fc, slight rust on staples. $100 $90 Reduced!

scan0012_zps6d332d4a.jpg

MarvelTalesinto01.jpg

AMRA 1 (1958) VG-FN. Here's one you don't see very often. The first issue of the legendary Hugo award-winning sword-and-sorcery fanzine AMRA by George Scithers. Contributions by Poul Anderson and Glenn Lord. $125 $110 Reduced!

Amra010001_zpse04458aa.jpg

Amra010020_zps58bfd2bc.jpg

Weird Tales (June 1934) FR-GD. Great Yellow Peril/Weird Menace cover by Brundage. Contains the REH story "The Haunter of the Ring," a modern tale that references Thoth-Amon and the Hyborian Age.Spine splits at top and bottom and large horizontal tear in fc. $70 $60 Reduced!

scan0019_zpsfbace028.jpg

Argosy (July 1939) FR. John Carter story and cover, "Synthetic Men of Mars." Heavily tanned and stiff, possibly from moisture though there no stains. Complete but lower grade due to tanning. $20 $15 Reduced!

scan0014_zps3ac07ef2.jpg

Loving these. The "Marvel Tales" fanzine is awesome. :)

Just out of curiosity, do you have other Weird Tales non-Conan issues of the 1920s and 1930s?

Here's one. (thumbs u

Weird Tales (March 1934) - GD-VG. Clark Ashton Smith story. Brundage cover. Tape on the spine but otherwise a decent copy with a glossy cover. $45 $40 Reduced!

scan0020_zpsf6718932.jpg