• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC blue label with color touch

119 posts in this topic

If there is a spot or two of colour touch but it's not really touching up a lighter area underneath, is it restoration? Does it belong in a purple label?

Depends on money.

Who didn't care about the 'market', but simply graded what was in front of them.

How does CGC "care about the market"?

Submit an Uncanny X-Men 300 with color touch that doesn't improve the grade, and see how that works out.

lol

I'll get right on that.

Personally, I think the same rule should apply to all ages. It is, in effect, another important distinction in the grading of the book.

While they may have done it to protect the Church books, it's actually brilliant because it discloses more about the book than just lumping it into an SP or SA restored purple label.

I think it's just a matter of time before we end up with a better restoration labelling system. Until then, this is not a bad option.

If there is a spot or two of colour touch but it's not really touching up a lighter area underneath, is it restoration? Does it belong in a purple label?

Depends on money.

They said with this new technology it wouldn't skip.

Some GA books get a free pass. I dont know why but im sure someone else Roy will (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Well, seeing as you asked politely...

:D

Pretty easy to explain and CGC notates it on the back of every grading label.

From my understanding, CGC blue label allows for a small amount of colour touch or glue in a blue label if the colour touch or glue do not increase the grade of the book. So they are treated as defects (as though someone had put a dot of writing or glue on the book) and graded as such.

If the colour touch or glue does increase the grade of the book, the book is placed in a purple holder and the book is graded with the colour touch or glue as restoration.

I believe that's how they differentiate.

I don't recall it that way.

I think the restoration can be functional and can improve the appearance of the book.

Some GA books get a free pass. I dont know why but im sure someone else Roy will (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Well, seeing as you asked politely...

:D

Pretty easy to explain and CGC notates it on the back of every grading label.

From my understanding, CGC blue label allows for a small amount of colour touch or glue in a blue label if the colour touch or glue do not increase the grade of the book. So they are treated as defects (as though someone had put a dot of writing or glue on the book) and graded as such.

If the colour touch or glue does increase the grade of the book, the book is placed in a purple holder and the book is graded with the colour touch or glue as restoration.

I believe that's how they differentiate.

I don't recall it that way.

I think the restoration can be functional and can improve the appearance of the book.

My understanding is that it's actually counted as a defect if it doesn't improve the grade and is factored into the grade in a negative way.

The Church books were worked on to improve appearance and perceived grade. It wasn't some random dot of color or glue. And they still received blue labels.

Not all of them but yes, they were.

My point was, that to my understanding, it's been CGC's position to put a book with CT and glue into a blue label if the work did not increase the grade of the book.

It may have been incidental, it may have been purposeful but if it doesn't increase the technical grade, it doesn't get put into a purple label.

"From the very beginning, CGC made the decision that books from before 1950 found with a very minor amount of color touch or glue acting as restoration can still get a blue Universal label, although the color touch or glue will still always be disclosed on the label itself. In addition, the minor color touch or glue will be treated as a defect and will in no way raise the grade of the book.

(As an aside, the SHOWCASE #4 mentioned had a drop of glue on it, but it was non-functional, i.e. was not being used to seal a tear or as reinforcement. So despite being post-1950, the glue on the book was a defect and was not being used as restoration, which is why the note on the SHOWCASE #4 did not say: "Restoration includes: very small amount of glue on cover." but instead simply "Small amount of glue on cover." Like tape, glue is something that the graders at CGC always disclose on the label weather it's functional or not.)

To sum up-

1.The book must be from before 1950.

2. The color touch or glue found must be very minor.

3. It will ALWAYS be noted on the label itself.

4. It will be down-graded."

Yup. And #4 is the key - they actually downgrade the book for it treating it as a defect rather than restoration.

r1970d for the ^^

Yup. And #4 is the key - they actually downgrade the book for it treating it as a defect rather than restoration.

r1970d for the ^^

BS. Then downgrade them all. GA through Modern.

It shouldn't matter if the grade bumps. At the very least, ANY and ALL CT should be a PLOD.

I'll agree to disagree.

If I'm buying a book as a collector, I like to know exactly how much colour touch there is. Small, Medium and Large doesn't cut it for me. The current system is terrible in that regard.

I'd rather have something like a 10 point scale but in lieu of that, the current system actually does a better job of displaying it than just lumping everything into a purple label.

BS. Then downgrade them all. GA through Modern.

I agree with you. I already said that on the last page. They should be consistent across the entire age range.

The Church books were worked on to improve appearance and perceived grade. It wasn't some random dot of color or glue. And they still received blue labels.

My point was, that to my understanding, it's been CGC's position to put a book with CT and glue into a blue label if the work did not increase the grade of the book.

And I believe that is incorrect.

Color touch and glue on Golden age books was put there on many of the books for the same reason it is put on every other book. To improve the appearance and "perceived" grade.

Blue labels are still given out to these books, not just books with "incidental" or "random" glue, ink or paint drops.

And I believe that is incorrect.

Color touch and glue on Golden age books was put there on many of the books for the same reason it is put on every other book. To improve the appearance and "perceived" grade.

Blue labels are still given out to these books, not just books with "incidental" or "random" glue, ink or paint drops.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

The majority of the time, colour touch and glue was put on books to improve their appearance.

Whether it actually increased the technical grade of the book is another matter.

I don't think CGC is looking for intent, only whether the added colour or glue actually increases the technical grade.

If it didn't increase the over all grade of the book they count it as a defect and downgrade for it as if it was a food stain or something else.

I don't think we're actually disagreeing here, just talking past each other.

r1970d for the ^^

No, no, no. It was VintageComics that called that one. :hi:

r1970d for the ^^

No, no, no. It was VintageComics that called that one. :hi:

It was a little shout out to Tupenny.

:hi:

It shouldn't matter if the grade bumps. At the very least, ANY and ALL CT should be a PLOD.

I'll agree to disagree.

If I'm buying a book as a collector, I like to know exactly how much colour touch there is. Small, Medium and Large doesn't cut it for me. The current system is terrible in that regard.

I'd rather have something like a 10 point scale but in lieu of that, the current system actually does a better job of displaying it than just lumping everything into a purple label.

It doesn't matter how many words you type in defense, CT is still CT. Plain and simple.