• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC blue label with color touch

119 posts in this topic

Some GA books get a free pass. I dont know why but im sure someone else Roy will (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Well, seeing as you asked politely...

:D

Pretty easy to explain and CGC notates it on the back of every grading label.

From my understanding, CGC blue label allows for a small amount of colour touch or glue in a blue label if the colour touch or glue do not increase the grade of the book. So they are treated as defects (as though someone had put a dot of writing or glue on the book) and graded as such.

If the colour touch or glue does increase the grade of the book, the book is placed in a purple holder and the book is graded with the colour touch or glue as restoration.

I believe that

I believe money. Because money.

I just wish someone started an altruistic grading company.

Isn't one of the reasons CGC gave a pass to some GA books was the fact that some of the Church books got touched up?

Bingo! (thumbs u

A better question is, how would you grade a book if it had colour or glue on it, but if it was incidental and didn't actually increase the grade of the book (or if it wasn't actually restoration in the first place - which can happen).

Some GA books get a free pass. I dont know why but im sure someone else Roy will (thumbs u

(thumbs u

From my understanding, CGC blue label allows for a small amount of colour touch or glue in a blue label if the colour touch or glue do not increase the grade of the book. So they are treated as defects (as though someone had put a dot of writing or glue on the book) and graded as such.

If the colour touch or glue does increase the grade of the book, the book is placed in a purple holder and the book is graded with the colour touch or glue as restoration.

I believe that

I wish someone started a consistent grading company.

(thumbs u

I believe that

Who didn't care about the 'market', but simply graded what was in front of them.

Isn't one of the reasons CGC gave a pass to some GA books was the fact that some of the Church books got touched up?

Bingo! (thumbs u

A better question is, how would you grade a book if it had colour or glue on it, but if it was incidental and didn't actually increase the grade of the book (or if it wasn't actually restoration in the first place - which can happen).

I thought the argument for many years was that it wasn't CGC's job to guess at intent? (shrug)

(thumbs u

I believe that's how they differentiate.

What explains the greater frequency of blue label GA CT as compared to blue label SA CT?

(thumbs u

I believe that

Who didn't care about the 'market', but simply graded what was in front of them.

^^

Bingo! (thumbs u

I thought the argument for many years was that it wasn't CGC's job to guess at intent? (shrug)

Nobody was talking about intent, only whether it increases the grade or not.

If there is a glue drop in the middle of the cover but it's not holding anything on, is it restoration? Does it belong in a purple label?

If there is a spot or two of colour touch but it's not really touching up a lighter area underneath, is it restoration? Does it belong in a purple label?

How does CGC "care about the market"?

They charge FMV on walkthoughs?

That's not really caring about the market though, is it?

That's caring about their profit.

Just Golden Age. Not Silver.

I think there's an AF #15 with a similar notation? (shrug)

Interesting. I've never seen a blue label SA book with CT.

Yea I was pretty certain I'd seen a Silver Age book with CT. I believe it was indeed a Marvel but I feel like it may have been an FF 1 and not an AF 15....

Or it could have been both? hm

There's a Showcase #4 like that, but I can't remember if it's glue or CT.

Here's the info, it was glue, sorry:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=247117&Number=5409146#Post5409146

Anyone know who CGCMod4 is? hm

If there was a Showcase #4 or an AF #15 it was probably a label error, meaning they either printed the info on a blue label by mistake and it should have been a purple or the CT/glue was mistakenly added to the label.

Because the whole reason we have this scenario relates back to CGC selling their services to the BSDs pre-launch. The possibility of half of the Church Pedigree ending up in purple labels would have been enough to render CGC still-born, so this was the accommodation that was reached.

Because the whole reason we have this scenario relates back to CGC selling their services to the BSDs pre-launch. The possibility of half of the Church Pedigree ending up in purple labels would have been enough to render CGC still-born, so this was the accommodation that was reached.

You mean they actually consulted with most of their largest possible customers rather than just roll the dice and see if it would fly? lol

Let me ask a question (and I realize that I am "late to the game" and have already been "brainwashed" and indoctrinated):

Does a book with glue or colour touch deserve a "restored" designation if the glue or colour touch does not increase the grade?

In my opinion the flaw is CGC's coarse restoration designations (Slight/Moderate/Extensive) more than anything else.

The coarse designations do not do a book justice or accurately represent what is going on with the book in the holder.

Submit an Uncanny X-Men 300 with color touch that doesn't improve the grade, and see how that works out.

Because money.