• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just bought my first PGX book

63 posts in this topic

Or just leave it in there and save yourself the heartache of discovering it likely is:

1. Overgraded

2. Restored

3. Missing pages/coupons

4. All of the above and sold by Ryan Elliott

Emancipate that beautiful book from its PGX crypt.

Yeah, that's a very nice copy. Got this one off CL a few months ago. Don't normally buy PGX, but this was cheap and it's not a bad looking book. I've decided to keep it in the slab since I've already got another reader copy.

RADF2A1320121120_9559.jpg

PGX? Why?

Some people like to roll the dice. I do, however, have to agree that I do like the holder. Too bad the company's name is mired in incompetence and unethical endeavors. They had a chance to make a name and a lot of money, but chose to sell out for the short term.

Is this the thread to post in tonight so I can earn some points?

:wishluck:

It could be...it could be.

Quick someone make fun of you know who so this thread can become a train wreck!

Cal?

One of the PGX clowns?

Who should we have a good laugh about?

I wonder if any of that is stated in the grader's notes? Did I put the apostrophe in the right place?

Or just leave it in there and save yourself the heartache of discovering it likely is:

1. Overgraded

2. Restored

3. Missing pages/coupons

4. All of the above and sold by Ryan Elliott

Emancipate that beautiful book from its PGX crypt.

Yeah, that's a very nice copy. Got this one off CL a few months ago. Don't normally buy PGX, but this was cheap and it's not a bad looking book. I've decided to keep it in the slab since I've already got another reader copy.

RADF2A1320121120_9559.jpg

I wonder if any of that is stated in the grader's notes? Did I put the apostrophe in the right place?

Since PGX only has one "grader", you are correct. Were you talking about CGC, it would be graders' for the multiple possessive. Christ, I hope no English majors are reading my babble...

Crack it - a mid-grade IM 5 looks silly in a CGC slab, let alone a PGX one.

I bought one PGX book - an Atlas war book in 6.0 for $20 shipped. I looked it as a protective case for the shipping, and once it arrived, I had no need for it. On the plus side, there were no surprises once I busted it out, and it seemed accurately graded.

It looks far nicer in mylar than entombed in Brand Ecch plastic.

Since PGX only has one "grader", you are correct. Were you talking about CGC, it would be graders' for the multiple possessive. Christ, I hope no English majors are reading my babble...

I see you put the quotation marks in the right place!

lol

I see you put the quotation marks in the right place!

lol

:acclaim:

Much better cases than the other one out there.

Yea, except one thing. They dont tell anyone what its made out of, so one can only assume its just cheap plastic and not archival safe.

Much better cases than the other one out there.

Yea, except one thing. They dont tell anyone what its made out of, so one can only assume its just cheap plastic and not archival safe.

I like the cases too. How difficult would it be to determine what the case is made of?

I consider buying a PGX like buying raw, with no premium for the grading/case. On ebay, there seems to be 2 trends with PGX books. First, sellers who way over value their PGXs, even moreso than CGC owners. Second, sellers or auctions where the fact the comic is PGX'd seems to lead to a discount on the book relative to the book being ungraded -- that is, there seems to be such a growing prejudice against PGX (evidence this thread) that people who might otherwise bid on a book if raw don't bid or bid lower. I think this might be creating some opportunities (not alot but some) where you can get a book cheaper if its PGXd versus raw. I thought that was going to happen with this IM 5, with the bid at about $15 with just a few seconds left. Then bidding jumped up in the last few seconds, and I decided to just get it anyway since I felt the price was about fair if the book was raw. But I now have a search in ebay for PGX auctions sorted by ending soon, because I think there's an opportunity to pick up books cheap (and then if you don't like the case you can just open it and throw it away).