• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Gets it right most of the time...

243 posts in this topic

From what I can ascertain from my submissions beginning in 2007, the Haspel era was the tightest. He was also on top of validating Pedigree submissions. Nowadays, all you need to do is to put the pedigree on the form and they say okay. Under Haspel, you had to provide proof.

Since 2007 I believe CGC has become soft on chips and other things they consider bindery. I had a book with a corner ding and chip. I sold it and the new owner pressed out the ding, whereupon CGC now considered the chip bindery. I have seen staple tears regarded as bindery when I know it was caused by a press.

I don't know. It's a tough task. CGC does a good job but I wouldn't give them an A+.

CGC is, of course, the best grading service out there in terms of quality and post-grading liquidity and I suspect they are spot on or undergrade 95-98% of the time.

Nothing like.

I have not seen a potentially undergraded book from CGC for over 3 years.

Not. A. One.

However, I have just learned not moments ago that a raw FN/VF (borderline VF-) I recently sold is now residing in a 9.0 slab without a damned thing being done to it. :facepalm:

CGC are obviously working to standards that (a) aren't made public, (b) change by the month and © are looser than anything I ever learned over 40 years of collecting and dealing.

And that's sad.

Nick I have never bought much from you and even I know you way under-grade. lol

I think your definition of a 9.8 is my definition of a 10.0, that isn't a bad thing btw. ;)

CGC does a good job overall, they used to do better but their standards have definitely declined over the last few years and I agree that Haspel (and Borock) leaving has affected this. I've seen some rough books in CGC slabs the last few years, and have been pleasantly surprised with the results of some of my own submissions. :banana:

Over time, the overall population of CGC books has gotten skewed towards the overgraded end of the spectrum as all the undergraded books get cracked, pressed, and resubbed to achieve their "true potential". If each book could only be graded once, you would expect a bell curve where there were as many overgraded books as undergraded books, but that's not the case. No one is going to crack out and resub an overgraded book...so they remain in stasis while the undergraded and underpressed copies get the "business" so they can eek out their best possible grade.

Puleease :eyeroll:
The right edge being all f'ed up? :shrug:

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Funny thing is if you check the sales forum...CGC is under grading lots of books. meh
and I'll say it one more time - you cannot tell that for sure by looking at a scan of a slab, or even holding the slab in hand. Scanning hides flaws. The slab itself hides flaws.

And as far as submitting the books yourself - you have no idea how much damage CGC did to the book while it was in their possession, unless you crack it out.

CGC is, of course, the best grading service out there in terms of quality and post-grading liquidity and I suspect they are spot on or undergrade 95-98% of the time.

I honestly have no idea if this is true or not. I had a whole thing typed out and erased it. What it boils down to, for me anyway, is that people can do one of two things. They can either trust the CGC grade blindly, (which some people do. Some people even on this board) or they can educate themselves on grading and make their own decisions. In other words buy the book, not the label.

Now, I understand that a company like CGC (and other companies that encapsulate collectibles) was formed to help collectors be at ease about what they were buying, but blind faith in that number on upper left corner (as well as the PQ designation) can be dangerous.

I honestly have no idea if this is true or not. I had a whole thing typed out and erased it. What it boils down to for me anyway is that people can do one of two things. They can either trust the CGC grade blindly, (which some people do. Some people even on this board) or they can educate themselves on grading and make their own decisions. In other words buy the book, not the label.

Now, I understand that a company like CGC (and other companies that encapsulate collectibles) was formed to help collectors be at ease about what they were buying, but blind faith in that number on upper left corner (as well and the PQ designation) can be dangerous.

In full disclosure, I buy CGC books off eBay all the time, Clink, Heritage and the CGC Boards occasionally, so it's not like I don't use the product. I crack most of them out.

However, I usually set GPA lows, and/or typically pay way under guide. There are very few times I'd pay FMV on a CGC product (or a raw one) unless I could examine it in hand first, or at least discuss the books flaws with the owner.

CGC does add to the comfort level of an online purchase.

Funny thing is if you check the sales forum...CGC is under grading lots of books. meh
and I'll say it one more time - you cannot tell that for sure by looking at a scan of a slab, or even holding the slab in hand. Scanning hides flaws. The slab itself hides flaws.

And as far as submitting the books yourself - you have no idea how much damage CGC did to the book while it was in their possession, unless you crack it out.

My sarcastic point was about sellers in the sales forum touting that their book for sale looks undergraded. It looks better than the given grade...etc.

My sarcastic point was about sellers in the sales forum touting that their book for sale looks undergraded. It looks better than the given grade...etc.

In my case it's true!

:insane:

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Yes, it is. The overhang on the right hand side has been smashed againt the interior of the slab.

However, it could be indentions from the bands where the books would bound together for delivery. I can't see the scan here at work.

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Yes, it is.

I do see slab damage on many square bound books because the cover protrudes past the interior pages but on this particular copy, the bottom half of the cover is bent over and yet it's physically impossible for the book to tilt that much within the slab to make contact with the right edge of the inner well (Look at the top wedge/edge).

The book was likely originally slabbed with that overhang bent over.

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Yes, it is.

I do see slab damage on many square bound books because the cover protrudes past the interior pages but on this particular copy, the bottom half of the cover is bent over and yet it's physically impossible for the book to tilt that much within the slab to make contact with the right edge of the inner well (Look at the top wedge/edge).

You can't be certain of this unless the slab is in hand. Some inner wells are quite loose inside the hard shell.

That's slab damage.

No it's not.

Yes, it is.

You can't be certain of this unless the slab is in hand. Some inner wells are quite loose inside the hard shell.

It's geometrically impossible for the book to turn at enough of an angle to make that bottom half touch in that particular scan.

Look at the top edge - the book is parallel to the edge of the inner holder. There is no room for it to turn.

The angle on the right would have to be equal for the angle at the top of the book. It isn't.