• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Drug Book - First App Marijuana - Before Spidey No Comic Code + GL/GA Junkie

33 posts in this topic

CAREER GIRL ROMANCES #56 APRIL 1970 CHARLTON - MARIJUANA USE COVER AND STORY

Top Drug Book POST-WERTHAM with Comics Code Authority Seal.

First App Marijuana in a Code approved comic book.

Hit the newstands prior to Spidey No Comic Code, (2nd app. drugs)

As well as GL/GA Junkie with Code (3rd app. drugs)

ARE WE CLEAR, NOW? Good. ANY QUESTIONS? I didn't think so. NOW SHUT UP!

WS32-147.jpg

Issue: 56

Year: 1970

Month: April

Publisher: Charlton

Description: Hippie smoke marijuana at a dance party on this wacky cover and the Comics Code censors did not notice it.

Check the girl with the marijuana pipe at the bottom of page 23.

They missed this, too.

Grade: VG

Distributed many months before Spiderman No Comics Code Seal Drug issues

as well as Green Lantern/Green Arrow Speedy the Junkie issues

First Marijuana App? I don't think so but definitely earlier than perviously suggested in this thread. 1949 - pre comics code. Book is never going to be for sale.

photo1-8_zpsb50b1338.jpg

Apparently the first reefer story was much earlier. Earliest known one, according to Reefer Madness website:

Oct 1937

MORE FUN COMICS #25: "The marijuana Racket" part 1 - a Johnny Law adventure - Note the date, this may be the first reefer madness story out there---and a horror of one it is. Story concerns starts out when a young marihuana addict shoots dead an innocent women. This puts Johnny Law on the hunt for a gang of marihuana peddlers: "Chief, I don't care how we do it, But we must stop this peddling of dope to kids! That kid that did the shooting this afternoon was a victim of marihuana." …… "Johnnie, the marijuana peddling isn't an ordinary rocket, it isn't done by organized crime but by small time racketeers" Needless to say, Johnny thinks differently, --- will he stop the gang? We will have to wait until we can get a copy of "More Fun comics #28" where the story continues.

Pub: Detective Comics - St. Louis, Mo.

First Marijuana App? I don't think so but definitely earlier than perviously suggested in this thread. 1949 - pre comics code. Book is never going to be for sale.

photo1-8_zpsb50b1338.jpg

Apparently the first reefer story was much earlier. Earliest known one, according to Reefer Madness website:

Oct 1937

MORE FUN COMICS #25: "The marijuana Racket" part 1 - a Johnny Law adventure - Note the date, this may be the first reefer madness story out there---and a horror of one it is. Story concerns starts out when a young marihuana addict shoots dead an innocent women. This puts Johnny Law on the hunt for a gang of marihuana peddlers: "Chief, I don't care how we do it, But we must stop this peddling of dope to kids! That kid that did the shooting this afternoon was a victim of marihuana." …… "Johnnie, the marijuana peddling isn't an ordinary rocket, it isn't done by organized crime but by small time racketeers" Needless to say, Johnny thinks differently, --- will he stop the gang? We will have to wait until we can get a copy of "More Fun comics #28" where the story continues.

Pub: Detective Comics - St. Louis, Mo.

If anyone has one I'll buy it in a second...

I want to know the first time someone was smoking a doobie on a cover...whihc book was that and when

I dont think any of the issues from the golden age put something that obvious on the cover. You will probably have to go forward to the undergrounds of the late 60's to get that.

However somebody on these boards who has an unslabbed copy of Fight Against Crime #4 might want to check the interior story "Hopped Up Killer" about a guy who smoked weed which turned him into a copy killer. The story title is mentioned on the cover and the cover shows a guy about ready to kill a cop with some kind of cigarette in his mouth. If that cover is linked to that story, one could assume it is weed he is smoking.

The only comic books I have with marijuana are the ones I used to roll joints in.

I still find some small flecks in the centerfold sometimes.

What's the grade drop on embedded Columbian these days?

I want to know the first time someone was smoking a doobie on a cover...whihc book was that and when

I dont think any of the issues from the golden age put something that obvious on the cover. You will probably have to go forward to the undergrounds of the late 60's to get that.

It's not weed on this cover, but it's pretty obvious! And iirc, the guy smokes weed first before going on to the hard stuff:

http://www.comics.org/issue/10946/cover/4/