• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To the person who SNEAKED that MICRONAUTS page today.

58 posts in this topic

I may be wrong, but I thought and think if there is a bid on an item, the seller can't close the auction or end it early:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Unfortunately, as I glance at your seller's link above, the seller was apparently within his rights:

12 Hours or more and you want to end an auction early:

1 or more bids and you want to sell to the high bidder

Allowed: Yes

Extra Fee: No

So, all Ebay auctions should be considered as a potential 'Buy-It-Now'

Waiting is for s**ckers. Noted for future reference.

edited: just saw your post regarding ebays rules.

The seller was within his rights, but I submit (at the risk of sounding paranoid) that the buyer was aware that there would be competition and acted to avoid it.

As I said, new rules noted.

I snipe bid all the time. That's different from asking someone to end an auction (that has existing bids on it) and switch it to a BIN.

I totally check out auctions and bid in the last 10 seconds.That's half the fun. It's also a total pain when your computer freezes up and your bid doesn't go through... so it's by no means a perfect plan.

edited: just saw your post regarding ebays rules.

The seller was within his rights, but I submit (at the risk of sounding paranoid) that the buyer was aware that there would be competition and acted to avoid it. 'Richard' move.

As I said, new rules noted.

I agree with you although I expect shady behavior when money is involved.

Edit: Sad to hear you plan on engaging in the same behavior you find offensive in the future.

Edit: Sad to hear you plan on engaging in the same behavior you find offensive in the future.

I've been merely taught what the current rules really are.

I still recall the night I lost my first auction to a Sniper. Seemed a 'Richard' move then, too, but it taught me The Rules. But that was only for a trading card, easily located another - a one-of-a-kind, probably never-to-be-seen-again art piece is different territory. Quote from 'Meaning of Life:' "Mmmmm. Stings a bit."

AcA

I've been merely taught what the current rules really are.

I still recall the night I lost my first auction to a Sniper. Seemed a 'Richard' move then, too, but it taught me the New Rules. But that was only for a trading card, easily located another - a one-of-a-kind, probably never-to-be-seen-again art piece is different territory. Quote from 'Meaning of Life:' "Mmmmm. Stings a bit."

AcA

It does and I don't blame you given it's within the rules. it's just saddens me to see somebody lower their own personal standards, but it is what it is.

It does sting. But, to me, it teaches us to know our limits on buying these things. Someone can always pay more in an auction setting- even at the last second. You can only do so much before you have to let go. I know alot of art collectors that place a bid for what they would pay and then walk away. I tend to like to watch the end of an auction- often times to see if I have to place a last second counter bid. Even then, you have to watch out that you don't get caught up in a 10 second bidding war and end up over budget.

You can only do so much...

I am a bit curious- are there actually websites that place a last second bid for you? That's bizarre!

Also, why the hate just because someone put a bid in the last second? Seriously- do they have some advantage that you don't? Losing an auction stinks and all, but I've never thought less of a buyer because they had faster fingers and a bigger pocketbook.

On the rare occasion that something is on ebay that I am interested in, I succumb to the realities of the world and send the seller a preemptive email requesting that they do not end the auction early, but if they are getting offers that are in the too good to refuse territory that they give me a chance to beat that offer.

This exactly what I do as well. I don't ever try to shut down an auction but if someone else tries to do it then I want the chance to stop that from happening.

If you're planning to now attempt to have all sellers shut down their auctions early and sell to you then you're becoming the screwer instead of the screwee. You're going to make some other guy feel the same way you feel now. Take the high road and you'll still have the chance to get the art.

On the rare occasion that something is on ebay that I am interested in, I succumb to the realities of the world and send the seller a preemptive email requesting that they do not end the auction early, but if they are getting offers that are in the too good to refuse territory that they give me a chance to beat that offer.

This exactly what I do as well. I don't ever try to shut down an auction but if someone else tries to do it then I want the chance to stop that from happening.

If you're planning to now attempt to have all sellers shut down their auctions early and sell to you then you're becoming the screwer instead of the screwee. You're going to make some other guy feel the same way you feel now. Take the high road and you'll still have the chance to get the art.

No, but I think Scott's tact for a page you are hot for is a good middle ground. Let the seller know that you would prefer for the auction to go to term, but if they start getting tempting offers at least allow you to counter, as you're a serious buyer.....

No, but I think Scott's tact for a page you are hot for is a good middle ground. Let the seller know that you would prefer for the auction to go to term, but if they start getting tempting offers at least allow you to counter, as you're a serious buyer.....

(shrug)

I'm agreeing 100% with Scott. Why the "No"?

I think Scott's tact for a page you are hot for is a good middle ground. Let the seller know that you would prefer for the auction to go to term, but if they start getting tempting offers at least allow you to counter, as you're a serious buyer.....

This Exactly.

Just an extra step to make sure. If the seller KNEW ahead of time I was a serious bidder he probably wouldn't have BIN'ed. But I made an assumption; I know better now.

I do that too. However, just recently, I did that and the seller still ended the auction early. The price he accepted was within my range too.

Oh well, you just do what you can.

Malvin

I am a bit curious- are there actually websites that place a last second bid for you? That's bizarre!

Oh, yes, they've been around almost as long as Ebay, I could list a pile but you can see for yourself - Google: Ebay Sniper Service

I haven't because I actually usually have the time to be close at hand if an auction I care about is ending. (Sad, I know - is there a 'Get A Life' smiley?)

:boo::jokealert:

Not only I sympatize with thethedew, but I have to say that I find this practice pretty dishonest, although in line with eBay rules.

It has happened to me two or three times, and always with items I really cared about. Once it was with an antiquary book from priest/philosopher Antonio Rosmini which was a pretty rare item, and some smart buyer asked the seller to remove it to buy it OFF eBay. That was on eBay.it – in Italy those things are a lot more common.

I have to say that at least the majority of US sellers are more honest.

My thought is that if you agree to put on sale an item through an auction, that’s it, otherwise just put it a BIN price and maybe add a "Make an offer" option, but then it’s another way of selling.

This way, to come to original art, I have been able to buy a great Dr. Strange drawing by Gene Colan, as the seller – very serious – auctioned it with a BIN price in the most honest way. Kudos to sellers with such an integrity! (thumbs u

My favorite is when I'm putting my son to bed, and I have to take a break from reading to him to watch the last minute of an auction...

sigh.

Trying to cut back, thankfully.

Didn't know about the sniping services. That's too funny. I doubt I care enough to ever use one.

Snipe bids seem to have become an ebay norm. IMO, it's to the point that, as a seller, you really need to be aware of when your auction is ending. I bought a big ol batch of art a month or so ago, and I have a feeling that one of the reasons the prices were so low was that the auctions all ended on a Tuesday afternoon. Who's watching auctions on a Tuesday afternoon? Other than me...