• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone interested in Thanos Rising???

82 posts in this topic

My biggest fear is that they "Hannibalize" him - which is ironic considering the write name drops the movie 'Manhunter' in the interview. I almost wish I hadn't read that interview, as Aaron also says this is his first foray into writing a cosmic story - that makes me a bit nervous, too.

Hannibal Lecter was an amazing villain - until they did this whole 'sympathetic childhood' thing on him. It completely ruined the character. They've done the same with Michael Myers, Leatherface and Darth Vader. Some people just don't understand that leaving out the details makes the character that much more interesting. Give me a new Thanos story. Give me a new facet to his personality.

I understand that comic books need to constantly churn and revisit topics and come up with new ways to sell books - but villains are a special case. I may be in the minority, but I like the version of Thanos that Adam Warlock has described: flawed and defeatble because he feels unworthy of the goals he obtains. There's no long, drawn out backstory about why he feels that way - just an outside observation by someone who knows him.

I wish they would leave it at that. But, I suppose all fans feel this way about their favorite characters. Either way - I'm not going to be negative - just cautious. I'm going to buy it, read it and be happy that one of my favorite characters is making it mainstream.

:golfclap:

I couldn't agree more, I just re-read infinity gauntlet and liked having a limited back story. Making the villain sympathetic takes away from the awe.

Avengers Annual #7. That recap is so badaZZ and better than anything you'll find in Thanos Rising. Book was decent and still has my interest.....just have to lower my expectations for the rest of the series.

You got it (AA#7), and yes, the recap is awesome.

I was reading this recently and when everyone started talking about TR, I thought I'd share it.

Classic goodness (thumbs u

R

Waiting for the tpb since it'll be cheaper than 5 issues at 3.99.

Plus you get to listen to reviews before you decide to buy it/not buy it (which I wish I would have done before I bought 'The End')

Just read issue #1 - I think Bianchi's work is great. The story actually intiruged me a bit - I wish it had a little slower pace, I'd like to relish the tale. I was impressed that it felt even as a young 'un, they preserved Thanos' personality and way of conversing - it was a treat to read the dialogue in Thanos' typical way of delivering it.

Pretty obvious plot points, but I'll spoiler tag it just in case:

The one aspect I did not like - which is unfortunate, because it will go through the entire series - is the omnipresent "über bad guy" which is Thanos' female classmate. I would like to think that Thanos - a budding, genius, artistic mastermind - would not fall for such ham-fisted manipulations.

To me, Thanos is incredibly introspective and rarely requires the consul of anyone to take action - I'm sure the writer has a plan for this "bad girl", but in the first issue, it seems more of an hindrance to the story and a little lazy to use such plot device that will most likely end up being the deus ex machina of the series - rather than Thanos being bad because he's bad.

However, I really liked the correlation of Thanos being an artist, even in a brief panel - that has real-life historical significance, and hopefully not lost on everyone. To me, that has a more interesting aspect to it than thinking his classmate is manipulating his emotions.

All-in-all, I enjoyed it and will be looking forward to more. So far, so good - worth picking up!

Waiting for the tpb since it'll be cheaper than 5 issues at 3.99.

Plus you get to listen to reviews before you decide to buy it/not buy it (which I wish I would have done before I bought 'The End')

Ain't that the truth! That was bad...................

It was slightly above average. let's hope it gets strong moving forward.

Amen to that. I gave it another read - I can say I like it more than what I expected, but my spoiler tag assement hasn't changed.

well Variant update for those who care ..

The C2E2 diamond summit exclusive variant is not really a 'show exclusive.' It is available to order via Diamond by those stores registered to attend the Diamond Summit. Those stores will have them at their shops the Wednesday before the show.