• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone interested in Thanos Rising???

82 posts in this topic

Interested? Yes.

Expecting it to be more than cover 6 months after release? No.

If there is a Deadpool variant, I will vomit.

Get your barf bag then...lol

564587_10151389808598282_735510391_n.jpeg

lol

I really don't understand the Deadpool variant craze.

I can understand the Skottie Young thing, people who like that kind of art are no different than me liking J Scott Campbell art and will buy a variant based on that.

But the Deadpool variants? I mean, half of the ones I've seen in the past few months are incredibly forced. The new GotG variant is really lame. This Thanos one is just as bad - it reminds me of a drawing a high schooler would draw. And I'm not talking about the subject matter. It's really an artistically poor cover. The perspective is off, the line quality sucks. It's just bad.

Are people buying these because they like Deadpool that much? Obviously there is some sort of draw, because they keep krapping them out.

I really don't understand the Deadpool variant craze.

I can understand the Skottie Young thing, people who like that kind of art are no different than me liking J Scott Campbell art and will buy a variant based on that.

But the Deadpool variants? I mean, half of the ones I've seen in the past few months are incredibly forced. The new GotG variant is really lame. This Thanos one is just as bad - it reminds me of a drawing a high schooler would draw. And I'm not talking about the subject matter. It's really an artistically poor cover. The perspective is off, the line quality sucks. It's just bad.

Are people buying these because they like Deadpool that much? Obviously there is some sort of draw, because they keep krapping them out.

Deadpool does have a draw. A lot of fans can be found over at the Deadpool Bugle site. Lots of kids like him too, including mine. Plus don't forget he has been in animated series as well so he's getting attention.

Also, as long as people buy variant covers they will continue to crank them out. If we all stopped buying Deadpool variant covers, Skottie Young covers, etc they would stop. It is getting annoying to have them cram so much of it down our throats and the quality of the work just isn't so great. That Midtown GotG variant is just awful. Wow, he's in the freaking corner. Next variant will be where it's just his mask on the cover about the size of a logo.

Also, as long as people buy variant covers they will continue to crank them out. If we all stopped buying Deadpool variant covers, Skottie Young covers, etc they would stop. It is getting annoying to have them cram so much of it down our throats and the quality of the work just isn't so great. That Midtown GotG variant is just awful. Wow, he's in the freaking corner. Next variant will be where it's just his mask on the cover about the size of a logo.

Yeah, it's like they clipped him out in Photoshop and slapped him on the existing cover. That kind of craftsmanship is how you turn your audience off to variants.

But, anyways - back to THANOS.

I have not read much on what this series will cover - other than his origins. Anyone have any details?

But, anyways - back to THANOS.

I have not read much on what this series will cover - other than his origins. Anyone have any details?

Just saw this on Marvel's site...What comes after “Marvel NOW!”? Whatever it is, it starts HERE. • The vile face left movie audiences in shock after last summer’s Marvel Studios’ “The Avengers” movie, but who is this eerily disturbing villain? • Thanos rises as the unrivaled rogue of wretchedness in this gripping tale of tragedy, deceit and destiny. Where did this demi-god of death and destruction come from and...more importantly what does he want? • The answers come from the incredible creative team of Jason Aaron (Wolverine, X-Men Origins) and Simone Bianchi (Wolverine, Astonishing X-Men) as they take you on journey that will not only change the course of one boy’s life... ...but will soon change the very nature of the Marvel Universe.

I just SMH. Only Starlin should be writing Thanos' origins (and did). The Thanos stuff since he left Marvel has not moved me but..........I will be picking up a copy of TR and hope they do the character justice.

thanos.jpg

:cloud9:

My biggest fear is that they "Hannibalize" him - which is ironic considering the write name drops the movie 'Manhunter' in the interview. I almost wish I hadn't read that interview, as Aaron also says this is his first foray into writing a cosmic story - that makes me a bit nervous, too.

Hannibal Lecter was an amazing villain - until they did this whole 'sympathetic childhood' thing on him. It completely ruined the character. They've done the same with Michael Myers, Leatherface and Darth Vader. Some people just don't understand that leaving out the details makes the character that much more interesting. Give me a new Thanos story. Give me a new facet to his personality.

I understand that comic books need to constantly churn and revisit topics and come up with new ways to sell books - but villains are a special case. I may be in the minority, but I like the version of Thanos that Adam Warlock has described: flawed and defeatble because he feels unworthy of the goals he obtains. There's no long, drawn out backstory about why he feels that way - just an outside observation by someone who knows him.

I wish they would leave it at that. But, I suppose all fans feel this way about their favorite characters. Either way - I'm not going to be negative - just cautious. I'm going to buy it, read it and be happy that one of my favorite characters is making it mainstream.

Agree with you on all points, Doc. The CM, Warlock, SS, and Gauntlet stories all told us just enough about Thanos to keep him interesting. Fans ate up the little bits of new backstory and followed him to the next saga. Once all is revealed, the mystery is gone. Shoooot, in the Warlock and SS books, it was a mystery if he was a villain at first. Thank god CM set us straight, in both books.

Agree with you on all points, Doc. The CM, Warlock, SS, and Gauntlet stories all told us just enough about Thanos to keep him interesting. Fans ate up the little bits of new backstory and followed him to the next saga. Once all is revealed, the mystery is gone. Shoooot, in the Warlock and SS books, it was a mystery if he was a villain at first. Thank god CM set us straight, in both books.

I think that is why he became such a fan favorite - each big story with him picked up new fans because he was interesting, and they didn't give it all up at once like it was Prom Night.

I recall reading SS in the 90's and being so intrigued by Thanos (I really hadn't read much with him before his return in SS) that I practically worshipped Infinity Gauntlet for years afterwards and maintain that it's one of the greatest comic stories ever written.

I think they are going to blow their wad on it, but I suppose it was inevitable. At least the art is going to be 10X better than that garbage in Thanos Imperitive.

Marvel.com: You're a man of diverse musical tastes, so I relish knowing what music is the perfect companion for THANOS RISING?

Jason Aaron: Something dark and emotional. Townes van Zandt. Springsteen's “Ghost of Tom Joad” or “Nebraska” albums. Nick Cave.

:facepalm:

Nick Cave or Bruce Springsteen? Now I really am worried.

If Thanos stories are to be read with any sort of musical companion - there is only one and only musical instrument that is appropriate: the Cello. Preferably performed by Rostropovich.

However -

The art looks amazing.

Just got 2 of the Deadpool variants on the bay after I stopped laughing. Love me some Thanos and some 'Pool.

That said, been re-reading my old Starlin Warlock / Thanos run for the umpteenth time. EPIC!