• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll, how should CGC grade tape on a comic?

How should tape be classified by CGC?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. How should tape be classified by CGC?

106 posts in this topic

If comic book was taped by somebody during the 40s,50s,60,and 70s it is acceptable,but if somebody takes a comic book from the 40s,50s,60,and 70s and decides to tape it now,then that`s unacceptable as they are trying to game the system.

So inconclusion if a comic book was taped way back in the day it is acceptable,but if that same comic book gets taped now,then it`s unacceptable.

:)

I think many agree with your position, but is CGC positioned to determine the age of the tape?

And is it different when a kid in the 70s tapes his OO book vs a dealer in the 70s tried to fix a book? And how is CGC supposed to tell the difference?

I taped books when I was 8, and I've taped books as an adult. When I was a kid it was because I tore something, the same way I'd tape a book I was reading (A paperback) Once I learned about it's existance, I've only used archival tape and once I found these boards only on books I would probably never submit...

I don't think these books should be given a purple label any more than I think the books I put nail polish on as a kid should get a purple label...None of it was done to get a higher grade;)

However, I can't see grade increases for tape. If I put a piece of archival tape on a book, it was to prevent a further spine split, to to reattach a corner that broke off. I got tired of putting the corners in envelopes, IN CASE I decided to slab something...then what? Send it to the CGC the envelope?

I can't understand a grading system that rewards people for using the BAD kind of tape.

I would vote for no increase in grade, grade it as if it was not there, no purple label of death, but note ANY tape on the label.

A detached cover that is fastened with tape is a detached cover that is fastened with tape. Hammer the grade for the detached cover and hammer the grade for the tape.

BTW, lol...I never re-attached a cover...but I did remove a few when I was a kid so they would not get messed up while I was READING the book;) :ohnoez:

In my example, the best (not perfect) approach should be blue label, document the extent of the taping on the label note -- but NEVER cross over 4.0 territory.

Agree with this ALMOST 100%. I do think a book should be able to cross over 4.0. There were a lot of comic collectors in the early days who would put tape on the spine of a comic to reinforce it without knowing that they were damaging it. I've seen NM- level books with tape over the staples for no apparent reason whatsoever, should that make the book a 4.0? Maybe... But not in my opinion.

That would be in line with what Overstreet used to say about tape, I think the highest grade tape was mentioned at was VG (the OS Price Guide version of the grading guide, not the OS Grading Guide version which probably has more detail).

(thumbs u

I would have posted this in your 140 162-page monstrosity of a thread, but I can't keep up with reading that sucker, much less contributing to it! :cry:

1. OS Grading Guide 2nd Edition says for Very Good 4.0: "Only minor unobtrusive tape allowed on otherwise high grade copies" . So if as once claimed, CGC follows Overstreet Grading, they should never have graded that More Fun Comics as 7.0. Reimpose the 4.0 ceiling, and reserve it for otherwise pristine copies. Less than pristine copies with tape would grade lower, potentially much lower than 4.0.

2 Though I'm no fan of the purple label, it makes no sense to assign archival-taped books to the PLOD, but keep Scotch-taped books in a blue label. Scotch tape is destructive. Trimming is destructive. Trimming isn't "restoration" but it gets the PLOD. Why not Scotch tape the same?

If both these actions were taken, then there would be no incentive at all for someone to tape up a book just to get a better numeric grade. ^^

I stay away from books with tape, I just don't like it.

Also, just wondering what people think about how CGC ignores printers defects.

I don't know if they completely ignore them in the higher grades, but they obviously treat them far more lightly than similar post-distribution defects.

I don't think they should. The opportunity for a book to be Mint starts at the printers.

Incorrect application of ink is a flaw that results in spotting or off register results, one that is avoided on most copies. If it's minor I can see the penalty being small, but any book with this cover or smeared ink on an interior page is not Mint.

The cutting, collating, folding and stapling process all give opportunity for damage to the book, producing a copy inferior in quality to others and what was intended by the publisher. Bindry chips and tears, printers creases, miscuts, misfolds, torn pages, these are all damage to a book and it shouldn't matter if they happened at the printers or in the hands of the buyer. The condition of the book is now less than ideal and the appropriate grade deductions should take place. As with many flaws the lower other factors reduce the grade, the less they should matter, but they are still flaws.

I feel similarly about writing and stamps on covers. While it might even be desirable in the case of pedigrees and signatures to have writing on the cover, and many like date stamps, they are still markings that the publisher did not intend. If unobtrusive or in the service of a pedigree, I can see being easy on deduction, allowing for even 9.8s, but they shouldn't be considered absolutely mint. I can also see that below a certain grade they become irrelevant, much the way an additional tiny spine stress isn't going to take the grade down further at some point.

I posted this in the other thread, but it belongs here as well...

Here's my simple solution to the problem. CGC initiates a new policy stating the following: Comic book covers are attached with staples. In the grading process, CGC will treat comics with covers "attached" by any other material, tape, glue, etc., as detached. The book will be downgraded for a detached cover, and further downgraded for the foreign material present.

The only real problem with this scenario is that there are many books out there that have been upgraded because of covers attached with tape. But, that's a problem the hobby will just have to face if CGC is going to make a substantive change to its policy.

It's the only sensible and, for the sake of the comics, safe approach.

Looks like there's an easy consensus that things need to change, thanks to everyone who's voted. :applause: