• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll, how should CGC grade tape on a comic?

How should tape be classified by CGC?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. How should tape be classified by CGC?

106 posts in this topic

As many of you may know there has been a discussion of several points of CGC's grading in another thread and one of those points is how tape on comics is treated. Currently non-archival tape used on a comic can be used to increase the grade of a book.

Now with the focus hopefully on some of CGC's standards, maybe they might listen if there is a consensus on here about how some points should be handled. So here is your chance to be heard on this particular subject. This is far from the only point to be discussed but may be the easiest to get opinions on.

In my head anyways, tape is clearly restoration.

I mean, that's exactly why people's use(d) it. To make the book "better" because of a defect of some sort (tear, rip, cover detachment, staple pop, etc). When I first started collecting CGC comics heavily I was quite surprised tape didn't get a purple label. They quantify se color touch as "minor" and it gets a purple label... Same thing goes for tape in my mind.

??? I thought the issue was that....

Non-archival tape can be used to increase the grade

Archival tape results in a PLOD

I got muddled. doh!

I recently bought a detached cover book, got some non-archival 3M transparent tape, did a few practice runs on a different book, then taped the detached cover to the back of the book and sent it in for a sub. I'd much rather see "three pieces of tape on spine" than "COVER DETACHED" on my blue label. (shrug)

It's not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy that I can slap some scotch tape on a book and it would result in a blue Label, but if I use archival tape it gets a PLOD?

Honestly, does anyone think this is a good idea and should be rewarded such?

??? I thought the issue was that....

Non-archival tape can be used to increase the grade

Archival tape results in a PLOD

That's the correction grinin is suggesting the OP make.

My understanding is the same as yours.

One thing I'd like to see is for all tape, not visible through the slab, should be disclosed as a note on the label. Someone shouldn't have to call and pay for notes to find out if there's tape used in a book.

I don't care if its scotch tape, archival tale, duct tape, electric tape, cassette tape, whatever... It should get PLOD.

I was pissed when a comic I submitted came back PLOD with the notation - tear sealed with Bon Jovi :P tape. I felt sick. Can't imagine how I missed that. I could have lived with it had it been Iron Maiden tape. :(

It's not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy that I can slap some scotch tape on a book and it would result in a blue Label, but if I use archival tape it gets a PLOD?

I don't think tape of any kind should be regarded as "restoration". You don't "restore" anything with tape. At best, it's preventative. Preventative of more tearing, preventative of losing the cover, preventative of falling apart. It's not restoration.

By the way, why don't we have a snazzy acronym for blue label books? I propose BLOH - Blue Label of Happiness.

I like BLTTNYGB

blue label that took nearly a year to get back...

By the way, why don't we have a snazzy acronym for blue label books? I propose BLOH - Blue Label of Happiness.

I like BLTTNYGB

blue label that took nearly a year to get back...

Not bad, but it doesn't sing. You need something that will roll off the tongue easily like angry words directed at RMA.

I don't think tape of any kind should be regarded as "restoration". You don't "restore" anything with tape. At best, it's preventative. Preventative of more tearing, preventative of losing the cover, preventative of falling apart. It's not restoration.

So do you think that the grade should ignore the tape or do you think it should be a higher grade because it has "repaired" the tear?