• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 181

15 posts in this topic

Picked this up over the weekend. The book is clean, complete and tight. Pages are OW/C.

NOTE: White stain on 'L' of Hulk - can't tell what it is - might be a dab of whiteout!

Please let me know what you guys think grading wise. Thanks!

hulk181.jpg

hulk181_bc.jpg

Another question. Why doesn't Overstreet Grading Guide mention color breaking creases? Is the color breaking creases a CGC thing or a personal preference?

I don't have the OSPG in front of me but I'm sure that they do count them. If it does not specifically say Color Breaking Crease, then they are using a different term. In the How to Grade Comics book each example would have a different term for the defect. Some people may say "dent" for a non-color break while another would say "tick". CGC grades differently from Over Street. The best thing to do is start looking up high resolution CGC scans and studying how they grade.

Looks like I was a little high with my 6.0 on this one but I feel like CGC gives a little extra for key issues...

Another question. Why doesn't Overstreet Grading Guide mention color breaking creases? Is the color breaking creases a CGC thing or a personal preference?

I don't have the OSPG in front of me but I'm sure that they do count them. If it does not specifically say Color Breaking Crease, then they are using a different term. In the How to Grade Comics book each example would have a different term for the defect. Some people may say "dent" for a non-color break while another would say "tick". CGC grades differently from Over Street. The best thing to do is start looking up high resolution CGC scans and studying how they grade.

Looks like I was a little high with my 6.0 on this one but I feel like CGC gives a little extra for key issues...

Looking again at Overstreet, in the examples given for 6.0 it does show "crease with color loss". My biggest concern is the white soiling on the L

It’s not a problem of color-breaking creases (there is a moderate amount), more of general wear. I’d be with 4.5/5.0 as well. :)

If the white is a stain, it would probably treated as such, but since it’s discoloration rather than dirt, maybe it will hit less. If it’s white paint maybe it can be removed?

I have an old Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide book from like 1992. They have Hundreds of examples of graded books (photos in black & white as well as full color). Examples with heavy creases (those that break color) show up around 4.5. Before that, it's light creases. Still a desirable book in any condition.