• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny X-Men 142: Days of Future Past Part II: Innocence Lost...

7 posts in this topic

Perhaps one of the best storylines ever written by Chris Claremont for Uncanny X-Men.

Vintage newsstand purchased comics are not easy to obtain in high grade, and rarely do they receive Mint or Gem Mint designations. Unlike their comic speciality shop brethen, newsstand distributed comics are notoriously abused by the handlers at newsstands who are oblivious to the snot nosed kids (that is me) who treat comics like a precious ring (think LOTR).

I remember back in the day, before I had the previlage of stepping into an LCS, I had to rely on newsstands, stationary stores, bookstores, and other outlets that had comics on spinning racks or wall-racks. I would make weekly trips and take hours deciding on which issues to buy based on the cover art, the condition of the comic, and how much money I had. For a kid, it was like trying to solve the riddle of the universe. And what made it even more challenging was the lack of sympathy and sensitivity of the cashiers at the point of purchase. My skin would crawl and my temper would boil when the cashier's would bend my comics and stuff them harshly into paper bags as if they were worthless. I don't know many times I would cringe at the sight of grubby hands violating my fragile babies. It really pissed me off!... But how can a child impart to an adult about transgressions suffered over comic books?

Back in October of last year, I attended New York ComicCon with the intention of submitting several comics I purchased as a child growing up in Queens, NY.

One such issue was Uncanny X-Men 142.

Uncanny X-Men is a landmark issue, with a storyline that takes place on an alternative earth (Earth 811), in an alternative future, where the X-Men's worst fears have come to reality. Mutantkind has been outlawed due to the assassination of Sentor Robert Kelly, and the government has sanctioned the use of Sentinels to hunt, arrest, and kill mutants. It is a very bleak vision of the future and although I was only 12, I will never forget the horrorific images portraying the deaths of three of my favorite X-Men: Wolverine, Storm, and Colossus. I don't know which was most shocking: seeing Wolverine incinerated down to a mere adamantium skeleton, or Storm harpooned to death, or Colossus (my favorite X-Men next to Nightcrawler), sobbing as he holds her lifeless body in his arms until he lashes out in a beserker rage fit to rival Wolverine... only to meet his demise. Now that I reflect on it... even before Jim Starlin's The Death of Captain Marvel, before Alan Moore's Marvelman, before Frank Miller's Dark Knight, this is probably the first comic I ever read to deliver a truly mature and graphic portrayal of its fictional characters. For that Mr. Claremont, I thank you for giving comicdom one of the greatest stories ever conceived and written.

I'm also happy to say, Days of Future Past is the basis for the new X-Men movie currently in pre-production. Read about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Days_of_Future_Past

So stealin' a line from The Replacement's single/Jennifer Love Hewett movie: Can't Hardly Wait!

But back to the actual comic... earlier today, I received notification from CGC, that my newsstand purchased Uncanny X-Men 142 has received a 9.4 Grade (Near Mint). That's very respectable for a comic that I've held in my possession since 1981 (32 years and counting) and was abused from the get go by the newsstand distribution system.

And I am also gushing with joy over Chris Claremont's signature as it appears on the cover. I love his signature... it's like a signature that belongs on the Declaration of Independance, and I love the fact that he obliged my request to date it as well.

Two days ago I purchased tickets to Wizard World NYC (June 29th) and in two days, tickets for NY ComicCon are due to go on sale. If Mr. Claremont should be attending either show, I definitely will be on line, to not only thank him for his brillance, but also for adding his John Hancock on my treasured collection.

FYI: Back in 1967, one of my favorite Progressive Rock Bands, the Moody Blues, released on Decca Records, a concept album that was way ahead of its time. Much like the Beatles Sgt. Peppers and the Beach Boys Pet Sounds, it was experimental where the Moodies combined symphonic orchestrations, poetry, and rock all in one album. That album was called Days of Future Passed. There's no apparent connection... save for a similar sounding title, but I wonder if that trippy music serve as some king of inspiration for Mr. Claremont's imagination... I wonder.

Let me know of your favorite X-Men stories. I means the one's you actually bought as a child or first hand hot off the presses... not the holy grails you find out about later in life and spend a gazzilion on. Share!... share!... share!

Happy Collecting!

SW3D

13229.jpg

See more journals by screenwriter3d

Great looking book, especially considering the factors you mentioned, and with a Claremont signature no less! Congrats to you!

As far as books I picked up in my youth, I didn't start collecting really until my early 20s so I don't have any I can think of that I bought off the shelf: I do recall being picking up recent back issues though...the Fall of the Mutants and Mutant Massacre storylines in particular we're amazing to me.

Sadly, in my late teens and early 20's, comics were no longer a big priority. I missed out on a lot of good stuff including Fall of the Mutants and Mutant Massacre. My heyday for collecting was from age 9 to 16 ('79 to '85), and now my latter period: late 30's to early 40's. This time around I hope never to "leave" the hobby.Thankfully i kept the vast majority of my bronze/copper age collection and I'm starting to get them graded. But they'll never receive 9.8's because they "suffered" through the newsstands. But I'll live with 9.0's to 9.6's.

Great looking book, even better to get a book from your childhood stash graded out in high grade. If I had to list some of things that I remember from my childhood days it would be as follows.

Frank Millers Daredevil Run

John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four

Walt Simonsons run on Thor

MacFarlane's run on Amazing Spider-man

- Spexx -

I am definitely with all of you on the selection of classic runs: Simonson's Thor, Byrne's Fantastic Four, MIller & Janson's Daredevil. Just an awesome period in comics history.

And then there's the X-men....108 to 143....genius from start to finish!

Byrne played a significant role in the development of the plots and the characters during his run as co-plotter / co-author / penciller. You only have to look at how the story quality was not maintained when Byrne left.

And then there's Terry Austin! One of the greatest inkers ever!

The combo of Claremont / Byrne and Austin made for a very special period in Marvel Comics history.

In the independent realm I loved Mage, The Elementals, Mad, and Elfquest.

When I was in line waiting for Claremont with Lee and Mark and Lily (patient child) one of us asked Chris why he signed on the X-MEN... I enjoyed his response by saying he doesn't want to take away from the art. That was COOL