• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newbie hello and question

26 posts in this topic

You can't read a book if it is slabbed and there is a real risk of slab damage if you are not careful when handling the book. Cover colours are truer and brighter in Mylar as the dual wells of the slab tend to grey and mute.

However many enjoy looking at covers and the slab does provide a presentation that emphasizes the cover as a work of art in itself.

Other slab collectors enjoy the uniformity of presentation the slab provides in such things as grade and paper quality. One can also feel pride in the level of preservation of the book when the grade is so clearly marked.[edit added]

The heavy duty plastic presentation of the slab also lends a greater feeling of importance and value to the book as it preserved as an artifact rather than as a comic book in a sleeve.

I personally still have about four dozen slabs but anything I have bought over the last three years, I have bought with the intent of cracking, reading and putting into Mylar.

Good luck with your collecting.

Save those labels when you crack!

The labels do look good slipped into the back of the Mylar. Besides, cracking and comparing the books does help me learn to grade within CGC parametres.

hello all i have kinda just started collecting comics my current fave series is Hack/Slash and i know it coming to an end with a 5 book finale, 4 are out now

do you think its worth it for me to have the 5 books graded to keep in my collection

i have a few copies of each or is grading new comics not needed

thanks

hm

Do you like Captain America? Welcome to the boards.

:o No,not again! :pullhair:

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

You miss your buddy Justin?

hello all i have kinda just started collecting comics my current fave series is Hack/Slash and i know it coming to an end with a 5 book finale, 4 are out now

do you think its worth it for me to have the 5 books graded to keep in my collection

i have a few copies of each or is grading new comics not needed

thanks

hm

Do you like Captain America? Welcome to the boards.

:o No,not again! :pullhair:

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

You miss your buddy Justin?

Please don't say that name three times. :frustrated:

thanks guys i might just keep them ungraded since i have reading copies and the copies that are untouched is fine enough for me

Can't fault that... maybe try to find an already slabbed copy of the ones you love - check the for sale forums here (or post in the want to buy forums) or check on eBay.

Slabs are still beautiful things to own and admire. I personally collect all my favourite books raw, but then try to buy already slabbed Signature Series copies.