• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Marvel Copper stories you consider the best (and why)?

106 posts in this topic

Reno McCoy started a thread about the collectabilty and finding high grade copper books.

My interest, as I missed most of those when they came out (except the Fantastic Four, which I collect in full), would be to know which stories, or runs, or titles, you consider the most outstanding of the Copper Age, with possibly some commentary on their quality (i.e. not just "I like it because I like it" lol ).

Many thanks in advance! (thumbs u

P.S. I would skip Miller's Daredevil as I am not a big fan of it, and I’d like to know more about less known single stories or runs.

Thanks! :foryou:

Now that is something I have never read, except the graphic novel (which I did not like excessively).

Do you have certain specific issues to recommend that you cherish more?

I‘d be also curious to know if the first She-Hulk series had notable highlights. I understand we are bordering into late Bronze, but it’s the early Copper I am more curious about.

Posted earlier today in CG.

- Batman: Year One (Batman - the early years)

- Batman: Year Two (Batman with a gun)

- Batman: A Death in the Family (Bye-bye, Robin)

- Batman: Year Three (Hello, Robin)

I'd also add:

- Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast: Fantastic story and artwork.

- Green Lantern Emerald Dawn 1-6: Relaunch with a good story.

indeed and I am going to predict the next "hot" book is Thor 337 because Beta Ray Bill will be key in Thor 3 the movie :grin:

This book has been off-and-on hot for a long time. So it deserves the resurgence.

Thanks to everyone. :foryou:

@Bosco685: Thanks, but I was thinking about Marvel titles. I have read a good deal of Batman stories over the years and I always liked the character, but I could never be affectioned to DC characters as much as I have been to Marvel. The concept was different, the whole continuity was the difference. But I assure you I was a sincere Hellboy fan, up to some point… lol

@faster friends: I loved the very early Moon Knight. Werewolf by Night was discontinued in Italy, so I have never read the origin, but as a kid I read in italian some stories appeared on Marvel Hulk magazines, in particular that story narrated from both the perspective of the Hulk and MK, the one with that lycantropic villain.

I collected the early issues of the 1989 series which I quite liked. Are there particular stories you’d suggest from the original 1980 series?

@nickwire: I purchased the full Simonson Thor run in the early 1990s but I have yet to read it: Thor is one of the characters which I was less familiar with, and I was intentioned to get acquainted with the character.

But I ended up deciding I have to put limit to my collecting and so I have to see what I should select from the Silver and Bronze age before getting to Simonson.

Again, I am trying to locate more single stories or runs of episodes which for some reason you consider outstanding, I’d love to have some suggestion on those.

Another precisation: I am pretty familiar with the New Mutants, X-Factor and Power Pack (the latter being one of my favorite series), so these are "out". :)

indeed and I am going to predict the next "hot" book is Thor 337 because Beta Ray Bill will be key in Thor 3 the movie :grin:

:facepalm:

Dazzler. Loved all 40 something issues

Dazzler is one of my guilty pleasures. I loved that series.

As for my absolute favourite Marvel copper story, it has to be Inferno. It is still one of my all time fave X-Men storylines.

Dazzler is one of my guilty pleasures. I loved that series.

As for my absolute favourite Marvel copper story, it has to be Inferno. It is still one of my all time fave X-Men storylines.

Thanks, I appreciate this. I have to admit I was disappointed by Inferno. I read it in realtime as it came out, I was 19 and I have been reading the Marvel titles in english for a pair of years, and I considered both the Simonsons' X-Factor, New Mutants and Power Pack some of the finest books produced. But as Inferno started I found it somewhat banal, and this continue reference to demons as quite predictable "earthly" presences was something pretty unreal – and dull – compared to how the supernatural elements were played in the Silver and Bronze age, in most cases.

In the end, Inferno, with some retroactive thinking, looks like something that paved the way for "mega-crossovers" without a good reason for being, like "Secret Wars II" had been. I liked a lot "The Fall of the Mutants" (and the little I have read of "The Mutant Massacre"), it had a richness of storytelling within it, but Inferno… it appeared too "planned", although I liked the Power Pack issues, truly disturbing. Louise Simonson is great! :)

- The Death of Captain Marvel GN by Starlin

- X-Men : God Loves, Man Kills GN by Claremont