• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Marvel Copper stories you consider the best (and why)?

106 posts in this topic

Well, to be honest I started to intellectualize about Marvel comics the day one I read them, so it probably all started in that dentist waiting room when I read "When opens the cocoon" in 1979… :D

F4G_C_033.jpg

http://www.comicsbox.it/alboita.php?collana=F4G_C&albo=F4G_C_033

And any way, this was the purpose of this thread, as I started suffering around 1989 because of poor character’s treatment, Marvel’s change of policy and the like, and I have desired to write a series of articles since then but it is a darn difficult task… :(

P.S. I do agree that Thomas’ Warlock is really ingenous at some point, but so is Charles Darwin’s biography… :) For the true greatness of Thomas’ more accomplished efforts, I think we should pick his Doctor Strange, Avengers, and other titles.

It has been mentioned a coupla times..but AVENGERS UNDER SIEGE(late 1986-early 1987) is one of the best. This type of story, today, would be told in an epic 12 month limited series, with 5 spin off limited series and 100 crossovers. But back then they told it in a half dozen or so issues of Avengers and it was AWESOME!

Avengers Mansion overrun (and not by some mind controller, or illusionist or traitor or time traveler or something like that---nope, just by good old fashioned supervillain power).Hercules is dead....no he's not. Man, that wasawesome. Jarvis beaten to within an inch of his life.

Dr. Druid and Scott Lang lend a hand. Thor beats Hyde by standing still and letting hyde bash his own head in on Thor's chest.

Cap. America cries over the ashes of his past.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!! and when they do....look the F out.

The SCOURGE storyline that plays out mostly in Captain America is pretty darned good, as well as the CAP shoots a bad guy storyline that immediately follows is also real good.

Amazing Spider Man is awesome. the entire ron Frenz art run is awesome. Who is Hobgoblin? Gang War, Silver Sable etc. etc. One of the great super battles is during this time. Spidey, Sandman and Silver Sable vs. Hydro Man, Boomerang, Speed Demon, beetle and Rhino.

This says it all for me... :headbang:

I really enjoyed the Magneto/Rogue in the Savage Land story from Uncanny X-Men # 274 & 275.

I've always been a fan of the expansion of Magento's personality during Claremonts run and I loved the way that he portrayed him at the end of the story by having him make the only decision that Magneto would make and therefore destroy the relationship with Rogue (and his last tie to the X-Men) at that time by slaying his enemy in cold blood.

Marvel was hitting on all cylinders during the Copper age. Continuity was tight, many creators had long running titles that were fabulous (Byrne's FF, Claremont's X-Men, Simonson's Thor, Miller's Daredevil.) I find it hard to pick up any book from this period from any of Marvel's titles and not appreciate it. I suspect the list would be shorter of the Marvel books that were not good during this period. This period for Marvel was second only to the Silver Age.

Byrne had a terrific (but short) run on West Coast Avengers that is worth picking up. I was fond of Micronauts volume 1, although when Baron Karza is defeated the first time, the title starts to wander a bit.

And who was Marvel Editor-in-Chief at that time?

*presses buzzer* Would that be Jim Shooter?

:D

-slym

OK, to answer the OP's question - I am a huge X-Men fan and I could rattle off a dozen good mutant stories any time with many of them not being the same. There are quite a few that didn't even happen in "mutant" title (Marvel Team-Ups, Marvel Comics Presents, I have to stop now) but I want to list one of my favourite non-mutant storylines ever. One I owned as a kid. One that every time I have a purge and they make the cut, I end buying again (I am on my 4th set - I should get them bound hm ) The Spider-Man v/s Firelord story.

For those that haven't read it, all I will say is, Spidey flexes his newfound suits' muscles and beats the :censored: out of Firelord! To those who have read it - I know, but STILL!

:grin:

It really starts off here:

268.jpg

Then gets good here:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_269.jpg

And really caps off nicely here:

270.jpg

A great story, old-school great art by Ron Frenz, just something I have loved since my childhood.

:cloud9:

-slym

Thanks Slym, I have to check it out. ;)

I usually dislike the Secret Wars, but spin-offs occasionally produced outstanding single episodes (i.e. the Doctor Strange issue where he substantially questions the motivations of the Beyonder).

FANTASTIC FOUR #242-244

A cosmic battle in the middle of New York, mighty guest stars up the wazzoo, two page punches, Rubik's Cube, and the 1st comic book appearance of a certain lasagna lovin' feline. This story had it all and really kickstarted the Byrne FF to greatness.

ff242lastpage_zps05287a29.jpg

WhenCallsGalactus_zps94245d27.jpg

lol

Loved Byrne’s She Hulk on the FF, but not so much in the series, which was more a parody.

The first series wasn't so bad but I don't like my comic heroes breaking the fourth wall. Didn't work for me.

What is "the fourth wall"? hm

When a TV/movie/comic book character looks & speaks to us, the reader. The 4th Wall is the line between the character's reality and our own. Acknowledging us isn't something a character is supposed to do, but some writers let them.

A Wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall

-slym

Ah yes, that’s precisely what I meant. I did not like it for that reason, and it seemed more a parody than other. Same with the ending of the original Animal Man by Morrison.

Not to mention the "brilliant" storyline Marc Waid developed on the FF… :facepalm:

Not "Fourth Wall" but the FF going to… Heaven – to meet… Jack Kirby? :sick:

Give me a break, and also Waid reduced Dr. Doom to the bidimensional caricature of a ruthless killer. (tsk)

OK, to answer the OP's question - I am a huge X-Men fan and I could rattle off a dozen good mutant stories any time with many of them not being the same. There are quite a few that didn't even happen in "mutant" title (Marvel Team-Ups, Marvel Comics Presents, I have to stop now) but I want to list one of my favourite non-mutant storylines ever. One I owned as a kid. One that every time I have a purge and they make the cut, I end buying again (I am on my 4th set - I should get them bound hm ) The Spider-Man v/s Firelord story.

For those that haven't read it, all I will say is, Spidey flexes his newfound suits' muscles and beats the :censored: out of Firelord! To those who have read it - I know, but STILL!

:grin:

It really starts off here:

268.jpg

Then gets good here:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_269.jpg

And really caps off nicely here:

270.jpg

A great story, old-school great art by Ron Frenz, just something I have loved since my childhood.

:cloud9:

-slym

Huge Copper Spidey fan, but there is no way Spidey can beat Firelord.......sorry.

.......that's like saying Bats can beat Sups......

That's why I can't bring myself to adding the 2 issues to my collection.