• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some SS advice regarding Rob Leifeld

36 posts in this topic

His contract could state that for NM 98 and NM 87 I charge X amount. From what I have seen he charges for those two books.

I have been through his line two times. He is very nice and I loved his New Mutants when it came out.

WOW! That's crazy! I thought this would be a freebie it's not like he's in demand right? Maybe WonderCon is footing the bill.... hm

Thanks everyone for their advice. I really appreciate it and I was considering just having him sign some other copies, but after hearing that he charges, it's not worth it to have him sign a reader copy, right?

As was stated by others in this thread, yes for those 2 books (NM 87 and 98) Liefeld requests that you pay him either $10 or $20 per copy in order to sign them. I do not think any con promoter that has brought him to a show had the foresight or thought to put a signature guarantee in his contract. For WonderCon, I think the only "contract" was Rob signing up for an Artist Alley table, since he lives in the area. (In answer to the other question on this thread, on how they knew Rob is coming to this show, he is listed in the Artist Alley section as having a table assigned to him.)

At some shows, Rob will sign anything else for free. At some shows, he will ask (or even require) a purchase of something from his table in order to sign your other books. If he is doing a signing at a publisher booth like DC or Marvel, he will probably sign any book for free. At the Image booth, I think his normal rules apply. While I've seen him sign NM 87 or 98 for free for some people, I agree with the others that you should expect to pay $10-20 to get those 2 particular issues signed. Is it worth it? Up to you... The last 9.8 unsigned copy of NM 98 sold for $333. The last 9.8 Signature Series copy signed by Liefeld sold for $550... I can quote numbers for 9.6, but you get the idea. Some people pay more for a signed copy.

If I ever take him those books, I always pay... I don't even ask, I hand over the cash, he takes it, I hand over the books, he signs them, end of story. We can debate the why's and the justification, and Rob would be happy to explain his rationalization for charging the money. I just don't feel like repeating or trying to paraphrase his argument... :)

Finally, it does come down to his mood and the overall situation. I observed one situation at a Wizard World Anaheim, I believe, where someone commissioned 4 sketch covers from Rob at that show, and then brought Rob a generous stack of comics to sign, and Rob worked out a deal for that customer that made everyone happy...

In case you get him to sign those books, he charges $20.00 to sign New Mutants 87 & 98.

I was just about to post this.

Go ahead!

Well, I met Rob at WonderCon and had him sign my New Mutants 87 & 98 CGC 9.8s. Fingers crossed that they come back as 9.8s

I was totally surprised at how cool Rob was. He was really nice and chatted with me for a bit. It was small talk, but still rather nice. Not at all what I had expected even though he did charge me $20 per book.

Thanks all for your advice and heads up with the signing fees. I really appreciate all your insights.

I really don't get the charging for specific books.

He just wants a piece of the pie. Those books are mega common, SS significantly raises the value. I would much rather an artist be upfront about what they want than be a butthurt betty.

I really don't get the charging for specific books.

He just wants a piece of the pie. Those books are mega common, SS significantly raises the value. I would much rather an artist be upfront about what they want than be a butthurt betty.

4ebay :devil:lol

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just received my books back from CGC and they came back the same (9.8s across the board).

My apologies for the blurry pix.

DSC02837_zps4047c634.jpg

and

DSC02835_zpsb5239087.jpg