• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some SS advice regarding Rob Leifeld

36 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Wanted some advice regarding getting my New Mutants 87 & 98 signed by Rob Leifeld at WonderCon. I'm on the fence on this one since I'm not a fan of his work at all! It's horrible! However, he did create Cable & Deadpool which is cool.

So, I'm asking for your advice. Should I get him to sign my books? Or leave them as is? Both books are CGC 9.8.

Thanks!

Even if you are not a fan of his art, I assume that you are a fan of both Cable and Deadpool. So what you need to figure out is if you would like to have their first appearances signed by their creator or not. Other than this I do not know what advise their is other than if you wanted to sell the comics down the road they would be more valuable yellow slabbed with Liefeld signatures.

I wouldn't crack the Deadpool. The Cable I might crack. No real good reason other than the possibility of a 9.8 Deadpool going down to a 9.6 or even 9.4 scares me worse than a Cable.

Find a raw Captain America #1 instead :lol:

I gotta be honest - the day I connected that Deadpool & Cable were Liefeld creations, I liked them a little less, so I know how you feel. But, feelings can change - maybe someday he'll do something which makes him beloved by the comic world (or perhaps maybe just less disliked).

I agree with a previous poster - I think your question is whether you find it a neat thing to have the creator sign a first appearance book (no matter who it is).

I will leave my disgust of Liefeld at the door, but I will say that my personal preference for SS books is that it seems better to have them sign an inexpensive issue - rather than a big key.

Plus, you have a nice 9.8 and it could come back as a 9.6 which would kill the value.

I will leave my disgust of Liefeld at the door, but I will say that my personal preference for SS books is that it seems better to have them sign an inexpensive issue - rather than a big key.

Plus, you have a nice 9.8 and it could come back as a 9.6 which would kill the value.

Since it is a 9.8 I wouldn't touch it. Its not like he is Neal Adams, Stan Lee, or John Romita signing your book. Its bad enough when people get Stan Lee to sign their 9.8 New Mutants 98. I think in this case it would be defacing the comics if Liefeld signed them.

In case you get him to sign those books, he charges $20.00 to sign New Mutants 87 & 98.

It depends what his contract states for the con that he is at.

What do you mean by that?

In case you get him to sign those books, he charges $20.00 to sign New Mutants 87 & 98.

I run cons. What a guest will charge for autographs, sketches, and so forth at a con can be worked out ahead of time to where by contract he is guaranteed to do certain things for the con at certain rates. I always try to have set sketch rates and autograph rates ahead of time for my conventions from the GOH's signed into their contracts. It comes down to factors like whether they came for an appearance fee or autograph guarantees.

I run cons. What a guest will charge for autographs, sketches, and so forth at a con can be worked out ahead of time to where by contract he is guaranteed to do certain things for the con at certain rates. I always try to have set sketch rates and autograph rates ahead of time for my conventions from the GOH's signed into their contracts. It comes down to factors like whether they came for an appearance fee or autograph guarantees.

Basically we ran into a problem at a previous con I was help running in which Billy Dee Williams and Lou Ferrigno would charge different rates depending on the item they were signing. Lou was the worst. In this case he listed you can buy a personalized autograph photo from him for $30-$40, but when one guy brought up the complete Incredible Hulk DVD set to him he tried to charge the guy $100 bucks before he signed it because the guy didn't want it personalized. In charge of guest relations I had to go down and talk with Lou and his handler and tried to explain alot of people don't want items personalized and I don't get why your trying to charge the guy $60 more for autograph on this item. He explained because the guy will put it on ebay and get 100s for it. I told Lou he was overvaluing his autograph and that he should charge the same rate, but since it was not in his contract a guaranteed rate I had no say. I ran into many guest complaints over the entire weekend over this and some from Billy Dee Williams over the same issue. From that point forward I made it my goal to guarantee the rates they will charge for autograph and sketches on the contracts to where we can hold the person to those terms.

WOW! That's crazy! I thought this would be a freebie it's not like he's in demand right? Maybe WonderCon is footing the bill.... hm

Thanks everyone for their advice. I really appreciate it and I was considering just having him sign some other copies, but after hearing that he charges, it's not worth it to have him sign a reader copy, right?

WOW! That's crazy! I thought this would be a freebie it's not like he's in demand right? Maybe WonderCon is footing the bill.... hm

Thanks everyone for their advice. I really appreciate it and I was considering just having him sign some other copies, but after hearing that he charges, it's not worth it to have him sign a reader copy, right?

Not in demand? He will have the longest line, probably by a longshot . The CGC forum snobs dont like him, but the rest of the 99% of the comic world including me really like him. Hes a cool guy that helped come up with some great concepts. Of course he isnt the most highly skilled artist but dont let living in CGC forum microcosm jade you. Liefeld is uber popular.

Basically we ran into a problem at a previous con I was help running in which Billy Dee Williams and Lou Ferrigno would charge different rates depending on the item they were signing. Lou was the worst. In this case he listed you can buy a personalized autograph photo from him for $30-$40, but when one guy brought up the complete Incredible Hulk DVD set to him he tried to charge the guy $100 bucks before he signed it because the guy didn't want it personalized. In charge of guest relations I had to go down and talk with Lou and his handler and tried to explain alot of people don't want items personalized and I don't get why your trying to charge the guy $60 more for autograph on this item. He explained because the guy will put it on ebay and get 100s for it. I told Lou he was overvaluing his autograph and that he should charge the same rate, but since it was not in his contract a guaranteed rate I had no say. I ran into many guest complaints over the entire weekend over this and some from Billy Dee Williams over the same issue. From that point forward I made it my goal to guarantee the rates they will charge for autograph and sketches on the contracts to where we can hold the person to those terms.

Well, I don't know about any of that, but for a couple of years, Liefeld has been doing free sigs on everything except NM 98 and NM 87, and it has been at least $10 for a while, maybe more for those two books.

Liefeld is that dude. People slander him but at the same time have a collections full of his books. Dead pool and cable are at the basis of so much in marvel, how can people hate

Well, I don't know about any of that, but for a couple of years, Liefeld has been doing free sigs on everything except NM 98 and NM 87, and it has been at least $10 for a while, maybe more for those two books.

It is just those books he charges for, like Sean said. Anything else he signs for free as far as I know.

It is just those books he charges for, like Sean said. Anything else he signs for free as far as I know.

It depends on what his contract that he signed for that event says. He could by contract be guaranteed to sign anything for free at that event.

It depends on what his contract that he signed for that event says. He could by contract be guaranteed to sign anything for free at that event.

He could also bake everyone cookies and dance the Macarena. What I am telling this guy is to be prepared to pay 10-20 dollars to get those particular books signed. That is what he has done at all of the cons that I have heard about. That is the best information for the OP. If it ends up being free, great. If it is in Liefeld's contract, also great. You are an insider with excellent knowledge of convention contracts. But experience dictates that it will very likely be 10-20 dollars. (thumbs u