• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a FIN FANG FOOM question

26 posts in this topic

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as his early appearences in STRANGE TALES he wore shorts. They were the same color as his scaley skin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember that, do you have a scan?

Can't scan right now but you can see him in his shorts if you look at that link posted above.

Quote:

As far as his early appearences in STRANGE TALES he wore shorts. They were the same color as his scaley skin.

Can't scan right now but you can see him in his shorts if you look at that link posted above.

Hmmm, didn't have much of a bulge did he? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

The original cover shows his skin and shorts as green. Interior splash both are orange. Got to love early 60s comic book printing.... I believe in later reprints they altered the color but like I said I'd have to crack open my copy at home.

This URL shows pages from the book, but they may be from Monster Masterworks or some other source which might not have retained the original coloring.

web page FIN FANG FOOM site

I believe Byrne expanded on Foom's origin (as well as Mandaran's) in his Iron Man run (270s?).

Jim

I think Fin Fang crash landed on earth in a spaceship centuries or more ago and was asleep until he got woken up in Starnge Tales 89???

I believe Byrne expanded on Foom's origin (as well as Mandaran's) in his Iron Man run (270s?).

Jim

I think Fin Fang crash landed on earth in a spaceship centuries or more ago and was asleep until he got woken up in Strange Tales 89???

That sounds right...the spaceship might also be linked to Mandarin's rings? I don't have the issues handy but remember quite liking the story.

Jim

Jim

I think Fin Fang crash landed on earth in a spaceship centuries or more ago and was asleep until he got woken up in Strange Tales 89???

That sounds right...the spaceship might also be linked to Mandarin's rings? I don't have the issues handy but remember quite liking the story.

Jim

Yeah, here's the whole shebang from the Fin Fang Foom origin web site:

"Fin Fang Foom

History: On the island-nation of Formosa, Chan Liu Chow heard rumors of an invasion of his homeland by Communist Chinese forces. From his studies of ancient legends, Chan heard of the legend of the dragon Fin Fang Foom. Chan headed to China to the site of the crypt where the dragon slumbered. Using a special herb, Chan roused the monster from his sleep, then lured the dragon towards a battalion of armed troops and ships of the Red Chinese invasion force. Fin Fang Foom’s rampage ended the threat of an invasion as he destroyed the army’s weapons. Chan lured the dragon back to the crypt and used another herb which caused the dragon to once again fall asleep.

In modern times, Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four once created duplicates of four monsters, including a duplicate of Fin Fang Foom, to battle Dr. Doom.

The real Fin Fang Foom was revived by Dr. Vault and joined forces with IT the Living Colossus to battle an invasion of gargoyles from Stonus Five (see Gorgolla).

Fin Fang Foom and the dragon aliens were manipulated by Iron Man’s nemesis, The Mandarin, to attack the human race, but later all the dragons turned against The Mandarin. It took the combined efforts of Iron Man and The Mandarin to defeat Fin Fang Foom and the dragons; all were apparently disintegrated.

Fin Fang Foom was able to reform his body and battled Iron Man once more, but was knocked unconscious and taken into custody.

Height: 60 ft.

Demonstrated Powers: Fin Fang Foom had great strength and could destroy buildings and military vehicles. Fin Fang Foom was intelligent and could speak. In later appearances, Fin Fang Foom was shown using his wings for flight and breathing fire from his mouth.

Comment: In Iron Man # 263, it was revealed that “Fin Fang Foom” is a crude translation of a long and complex name which means “He whose limbs shatter mountains and whose back scrapes the sun”.

Comment: Speculation - In Iron Man # 272, it was revealed that Fin Fang Foom was one of the survivors of a spacecraft which crashlanded on Earth centuries ago. The spacecraft was from a race of dragon-like aliens called the Makluans from the Andromeda galaxy. Most of the Makluan survivors took on human form in China (the dragons could alter their size and shape, which could explain why Fin Fang Foom’s size changed so much in his history). The Makluan technology from the wreckage was used by Iron Man’s nemesis The Mandarin in Tales of Suspense # 62.

It is possible that Grogg, whose first appearance preceded Fin Fang Foom’s, may also be one of the survivors of the Makluan spaceship crash.

It is possible that the dragon monster Rro (see Journey Into Mystery # 58) was also a Makluan.

In Journey Into Mystery # 60, in the story “We Were Trapped With the Silent Monster!” (art by Don Heck), a colony of subterranean dragon creatures was discovered by a mining team; possibly the dragon creatures are connected to Rro and also possibly Malkuans.

Comment: The Midgard Serpent once took on the form of Fin Fang Foom to trick Thor (see Thor # 379).

That's a great question. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif And I'm not sure if anybody knows the answer. confused-smiley-013.gif There's a lot of heresay about who did what on the Lee/Kirby collaborations. Many of those old monster books don't have an author/artist credit so who knows. But speculation abounds and will likely be debated for a long, long time.

This from Mark Evanier's Web site:

"Who did what on the Lee-Kirby collaborations?

Ooh...tough one to start with.  Well, it's safe to say Jack did all the pencilling.  Beyond that, we run into all sorts of semantic arguments having to do with definitions of the word "writing" and with the fact that Mssrs. Lee and Kirby both have/had notoriously poor memories.  You also have the fact that, when two creative talents get together and come up with an idea, each of them might honestly believe that he suggested at least the core of the concept if not the entire thing.  This happens in any collaboration anywhere and, ultimately, you usually have to just say that they both had the idea.  Ergo, I say that the Lee-Kirby creations are Lee-Kirby creations.

Some of the ideas sound more like Stan to me, some sound more like Jack and there's some documentation and other evidence that suggests that certain ideas flowed more from one gent than the other.  Even then, even where one person contributed 80% of the notion, they are still Lee-Kirby co-creations.  The plots came from both, though Stan has acknowledged that once Marvel started to grow and he became busier, Jack was largely on his own to figure out the details of each story, if not the basic plotline.  Stan's dialogue sometimes closely paraphrased marginal notes that Jack wrote while drawing, and sometimes deviated altogether.  I do think Stan has been unfairly maligned by those who've said that all he did was retype and polish Jack's notations.  I also think Jack was wronged to some extent by credits that gave him no credit for anything other than drawing because he certainly did more than that."

Quote:

Hmmm, didn't have much of a bulge did he? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

"I WAS IN THE POOL!!!! I WAS IN THE POOL!!!!"

-FFF

sign-funnypost.gif

SHRINKAGE!

Ok, back to who wrote what.

I emailed ME and here's his reply:

"ME: Stan's brother Larry Lieber wrote the scripts. Stan gave him the

plots. Jack claimed he gave Stan the plots (possibly true) and that

he heavily rewrote things (probably true)."