• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

And Marvel, please give us after credits scenes with some meat to them. IM3 and GotG blew 2 recent opportunities to further tie together this amazing movie universe you're building. This one in particular since a teaser for one of the 2015 movies would have played much better on the last 2014 movie.

I think the bigger blown opportunity is that they didn't attach the Age Of Ultron SDCC trailer to all GotG digital "prints."

Peace,

Chip

I could not agree any more with that. That is where Marvel dropped the ball. Especially because this was the last movie before Avengers 2.

I said this to my daughter as the trailers ended…

My only thought is the trailer they showed at SDCC must have been rough. Maybe it wasn't ready to be shown on the big screen.

Heck, it still hasn't made its way online, has it?

Boxoffice.com Saturday Update: Guardians of the Galaxy

Interesting comparison of Guardians of the Galaxy's $37.8 MM Friday.

• Captain America: The First Avenger's $25.7 MM (47.1% better)
  • Thor: The Dark World's $31.9 MM (18.5% better)
  • Amazing Spider-Man 2's $35.2 MM (7.4% better)
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past's $35.5 MM (6.5% better)
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier's $36.9 MM (2.4% better)
  • Godzilla's $38.4 MM (1.6% less)
  • Transformers: Age of Extinction's $41.9 MM (9.8% less)

So they are calling it the third best opening of the year, behind Transformers and Godzilla. I would think Guardians is an even bigger success, as you are dealing with a brand new franchise that had little to no background with cinema attendees.

Gunn is going to have his pick of the films he works on for Marvel.

:applause:(worship)

I also think Chris Pratt is going to be huge now. My wife and I loved him Parks and we thought he'd be huge.

side note.

most women (as my wife did) fell for Groot. When we slammed those dudes over and over and turned and smiled my wife melted hahaha..

Def gonna have to get get her something grout related now.

Go for this!

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-rocket-and-groot-hot-toys-902239/

$359 for a 6" statue? Yikes.

Rocket is 6", but Groot is almost 16" tall. I think it is probably worth the money, but collecting more than a couple of this type of statue is a bit out of my price range...

Trying to reconcile the cuteness of dancing Groot with the earlier skewering of bad guy soldiers by 'adult' Groot. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but heroes, especially ones being targeted as child's toys, shouldn't be impaling people should they?

Maybe my biggest gripe with the film was the level of graphic violence. I know films have punching and fighting, but there was a lot of stabbing and slicing in the film. There wasn't blood shooting everywhere or anything.

Part of what I find so good about Avengers is beyond the eyeball scene, the violence is pretty tame.

Oh and there was a lot of language too, but I'll leave that alone…

side note.

most women (as my wife did) fell for Groot. When we slammed those dudes over and over and turned and smiled my wife melted hahaha..

Def gonna have to get get her something grout related now.

Go for this!

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-rocket-and-groot-hot-toys-902239/

$359 for a 6" statue? Yikes.

Rocket is 6", but Groot is almost 16" tall. I think it is probably worth the money, but collecting more than a couple of this type of statue is a bit out of my price range...

These were oversized action figures... grumble... not statues.

I really enjoyed the movie, I figured it was going to be good - Marvel Studios is on a roll.

I still liked The Avengers better, I suppose I'm not as big a fan of space operas like some here, and I like the heroes in the Avengers more than GOTG.

If there was a part of GOTG that bugged me a little- it was the showdown with Ronin.

Ronin had been portrayed as a deadly serious character - yet when Peter did his little "distraction" dance, Ronin's reaction and dialogue - his bewildered expression and comment of "Huh, what are you doing?" made him seem like part of the joke. It took away from the drama of the scene and of the character, in my opinion. They could have left that part serious.

The acting of the Drax character was a bit stilted in places. He had some decent delivery at times, other times, his lack of acting skills was apparent to me. Hey, even Arnold had to start somewhere!

Very good movie overall. Looking forward to the sequel.

We are well into The Marvel Age of Movies! Now mainstream America (and much of the world) knows what many of us have known for awhile.

Best Marvel movie to date imo. It felt fun, epic, and cosmic. Just like comics did when I was a kid.

Yes. :golfclap:

It appears that's what Marvel Studios is aiming for. The same tone of the '60s and '70s comic books that made them popular in the first place.

:gossip: I did like Avengers better, though. But hey, they're all good!

Best Marvel movie to date imo. It felt fun, epic, and cosmic. Just like comics did when I was a kid.

Yes. :golfclap:

It appears that's what Marvel Studios is aiming for. The same tone of the '60s and '70s comic books that made them popular in the first place.

:gossip: I did like Avengers better, though. But hey, they're all good!

No doubt and there are 6 in my immediate family and 5 agree with you about the Avengers. lol

Maybe my biggest gripe with the film was the level of graphic violence. I know films have punching and fighting, but there was a lot of stabbing and slicing in the film. There wasn't blood shooting everywhere or anything.

Part of what I find so good about Avengers is beyond the eyeball scene, the violence is pretty tame.

As far as family entertainment, It's certainly up to the individual parent's discretion.

Popular family films have often had a certain amount of conflict, usually containing some moderate violence or threat. Often serious, usually bloodless.

I remember crying for Bambi's mom, and Old Yeller :( -pretty tragic and violent ends for those two characters.

The Nazi threat in The Sound of Music didn't go over my head when I was nine, and the family's escape over the Alps after their plan was discovered was a thrilling part of the story for me, and made the Captain's song, Edelweiss (yeah, I had to Google the spelling) even more poignant.

The Wicked Witch of the West's flying monkeys scared the hell out of me when I was 5 or 6. :eek:

...And don't get me started on The Red Pony (the one with Robert Mitchum) - I cried for days after that - but the violence left quite an impression and I did get the moral of the story.

I took my nephew to see it. He's 12. We both liked it... I wasn't too upset by the violence since it was mostly bloodless... I wasn't a big fan of the cussing though. I guess that's part of the rating for the movie and gives it, maybe, more teen appeal; But I kinda like to watch a movie that is somewhat geared for kids to have less random cursing.

Still, I thought is was pretty good... Had a positive vibe. And good music.

I can't wait to see it again with my son. They did an awesome job, thrilled to see knowhere and cosmos! Super excited for a second movie!!

As far as family entertainment, It's certainly up to the individual parent's discretion.

Popular family films have often had a certain amount of conflict, usually containing some moderate violence or threat. Often serious, usually bloodless.

I remember crying for Bambi's mom, and Old Yeller :( -pretty tragic and violent ends for those two characters.

The Nazi threat in The Sound of Music didn't go over my head when I was nine, and the family's escape over the Alps after their plan was discovered was a thrilling part of the story for me, and made the Captain's song, Edelweiss (yeah, I had to Google the spelling) even more poignant.

The Wicked Witch of the West's flying monkeys scared the hell out of me when I was 5 or 6. :eek:

...And don't get me started on The Red Pony (the one with Robert Mitchum) - I cried for days after that - but the violence left quite an impression and I did get the moral of the story.

If you want a good cry from a fairly recent movie, I highly recommend Hachi with Richard Gere.

Old Yeller x 3 in the "hurt my feelings" category :(

Apologies for the :signofftopic: ... but there has to rain to balance the sunshine :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

I really enjoyed the movie, I figured it was going to be good - Marvel Studios is on a roll.

I still liked The Avengers better, I suppose I'm not as big a fan of space operas like some here, and I like the heroes in the Avengers more than GOTG.

If there was a part of GOTG that bugged me a little- it was the showdown with Ronin.

Ronin had been portrayed as a deadly serious character - yet when Peter did his little "distraction" dance, Ronin's reaction and dialogue - his bewildered expression and comment of "Huh, what are you doing?" made him seem like part of the joke. It took away from the drama of the scene and of the character, in my opinion. They could have left that part serious.

The acting of the Drax character was a bit stilted in places. He had some decent delivery at times, other times, his lack of acting skills was apparent to me. Hey, even Arnold had to start somewhere!

Very good movie overall. Looking forward to the sequel.

We are well into The Marvel Age of Movies! Now mainstream America (and much of the world) knows what many of us have known for awhile.

That sounds awesome.

If you want a good cry from a fairly recent movie, I highly recommend Hachi with Richard Gere.

Old Yeller x 3 in the "hurt my feelings" category :(

Apologies for the :signofftopic: ... but there has to rain to balance the sunshine :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to check that out.

I'm a sucker for a good emotional roller-coaster.

based on int'l BO openings this weekend compared to other superhero movies this summer, GOTG looks like it will do $370-430mm int'l (w/ China being the wildcard since no release date is set there).

$600MM WW looks like a lock, $700MM WW possible.