• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

Very entertaining. And for once, I under expected and they over delivered (ok, Cap 2 made it twice).

I think that has to be the first film version of a comic that is vastly superior to the comic material. hm

Great review! And that last comment definitely has me wondering how I can get out this weekend and see this movie.

:ohnoez:

IMAX 3D here. That film had WIN all over it! It's the modern day Star Wars for this generation. :applause:

Did anyone else think about the Star Wars archetypes?

C3P0/R2D2 -- Groot and Rocket Racoon. One guy has to translate the others gibberish. Another one is constantly bickering/whining.

Gamora-- Princess Leia with Dark Father. Vader/Thanos

Quill - Skywalker

Drax -Han/Chewbaccca

Maybe not exactly, but very archetypal.

Pods were Tie Fighters/X-wings with a little MF vs Death Star.

Death Star and ceremony - Zandar against Ronan and heroic ending.

Also, the Celestial appearance/cameo was sweet.

Thanos was in some sense, powerful enough to slap around Ronan (which is something); but I didn't get much sense of awe from the visual portrayal.

P.S. I had the same thought as earlier poster about mom/moondragon. Were those characters at the middle (near Celestial scene) Watchers or any recognizable race?

Yes, thought about that

Groot was more of a cross between R2D2 and Chewbacca

Rocket was a cross between C-3PO and Boba Fett or Bossk (being a bounty hunter)

Quill was a combination of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker (with a C-3PO helmet)

Drax I don't think had a Star Wars counterpart and Gamora was a girl but other than that was un-Leia like.

The Other looked just like the emperor when appearing as a hologram.

Yondu was basically Dennis Hopper's character from Waterworld.

Also there were elements of Star Trek in this with the political alliances and such

In 1988, what mother makes their kid a mix tape of music from the 70s? Quill was a child of the 80s so they should have used 80s music. The 70s music was shoehorned in for some reason, either the producers liked it or it was a nod to Star-Lord's 70s origins. Had this film been made 10 years ago it would have made more sense

In 1988, what mother makes their kid a mix tape of music from the 70s? Quill was a child of the 80s so they should have used 80s music. The 70s music was shoehorned in for some reason, either the producers liked it or it was a nod to Star-Lord's 70s origins. Had this film been made 10 years ago it would have made more sense

He clearly explained that his mom made him a tape of the pop music SHE LOVED growing up. It would make sense if you were dying and you wanted to share with your child, the music that shaped you in your formative years.

Oh and it has one of my all time favorite Bowie songs in it "Moonage Daydream'.

Indeed - which just about makes up for that horrible "Hooked on a feeling" tune

He clearly explained that his mom made him a tape of the pop music SHE LOVED growing up. It would make sense if you were dying and you wanted to share with your child, the music that shaped you in your formative years.

Yes - that was obvious to anybody paying attention

Oh and it has one of my all time favorite Bowie songs in it "Moonage Daydream'.

Indeed - which just about makes up for that horrible "Hooked on a feeling" tune

He would have been great to have in a comic book film. Especially at a space bar.

I paid attention. I saw that. It was obvious.

Wasn't my point at all which would be apparent to anyone paying attention.

lol

lol

lol lol

I did think that it was highly unlikely that a young kid in the 80's would be listening to 10cc - 10cc for God's sake!

Kevin Feige was born in 1973, James Gunn in 1970. This music is in the movie because it's the music of THEIR childhood, not because of Peter Quill's mom. Then someone said "How do we explain that he's only 34 but listens to 70s music? Let's say his mom gave it to him." Problem solved.

MINOR point I'm raising but anachronisms bug me. (X-Men First Class was full of them.) And if he spends the whole movie listening to Awesome Mix Vol. 1, then why is it so special that we find out his mom

gave him Awesome Mix 2 when she died? You mean she made him 2 mixes, or was he already a fan of 70s music? Why is Vol 2 so special if he already had volume 1

Mix tapes are a thing of the 80s, Quill is a child of the 80s, just make it 80s music.

Also it's called "Awesome" Mix - hello?

:thumbsup: to another music fan