• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

I'm kind of shocked that a populated and developed country like japan only has a 2m opening weekend. Are western movies not really watched in Japan or is there some other explanation? Few screens?

I'll find the Box Office summary that talked about this. But they specifically mentioned this has been a challenge for all the Marvel movies in this market for some reason. And this appeared to be a trend.

I'm not sure how accurate that assessment is concerning Japan's box office. But I was surprised when I checked the opening weekend of the other movies how low these were compared to other developed markets.

Does anyone know why the China release date is not until Oct 10? I wonder how much it will hurt the box office take, if at all. CA TWS did 100m+ in China, but it's release date was close to the US and overall global release. If GotG did 100m in China it would put it right up there with CA TWS for worldwide take.

From what I understand, China government has a policy whereby in the summer, only China made movies can be screened to promote its own industry. I guess GOTG can only be screened after this period has passed?

Interesting hm

For those needing to talk about the secrets of the universe.

Got A Phone? If Yes, You Can Chat With GROOT!

------------------

Ricky Robinett has created a system in which you text the following number: (866) 740-4531, and you can chat with Groot anytime, anyplace, anywhere! Now of course no matter what you send him he will respond with the three word phrase, “I am Groot”.

------------------

lol

With the Japan opening weekend results, the final figure ($2.1 MM) is somewhere below the middle of the other three movies this year.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 31–Jun. 1): $2,677,387

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Apr. 26–27): $4,105,577

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Apr. 19–20): $1,936,549

I'm kind of shocked that a populated and developed country like japan only has a 2m opening weekend. Are western movies not really watched in Japan or is there some other explanation? Few screens?

The top movie (by far) in Japan this year is Frozen with $249+ million. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is placed at number 9 for the year. The Marvel/Disney produced movies however did not even break into the top 40 movies in the Japanese market:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/

The top movie (by far) in Japan this year is Frozen with $249+ million. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is placed at number 9 for the year. The Marvel/Disney produced movies however did not even break into the top 40 movies in the Japanese market:

There has to be an article somewhere researching assumptions around why Marvel movies are not breaking the Top 40. Maybe Guardians will slowly build up momentum as word of mouth gets out about it.

There has to be an article somewhere researching assumptions around why Marvel movies are not breaking the Top 40. Maybe Guardians will slowly build up momentum as word of mouth gets out about it.

The GOTG movie will be lucky to hit $10 million in Japan. Japan has its own hero universes and Marvel's superhero universe is very redundant to what they already have. It doesn't surprise me if they see this as more of the same (and inferior foreign material.)

Japan has its own hero universes

what would those be? You don't mean like the manga heroes and such?

They have manga, but I was thinking of TV shows/movies like:

* Ultraman

* Kamen Riders

* Super Sentai (aka Power Rangers)

* Mazinger Z

* Godzilla

I'm sure there are others. One thing Japan seems to not lack is series like these.

That is true, but I always heard fans of such things were often considered niche groups in Japan. I don't personally know anything about it of course, so I'm just repeating things I've read at this point.

Also, I've seen some of the films based off of those properties, and they're pretty bad in many ways - I can admit that, even though I like a lot of them. I wonder if that cheesiness drives Japanese audiences away from American movies that may have some similarities to those properties?

Maleficent was #3 this year, so I don't see it as just bias to their own country. However, with such a strong emphasis on American themed songs from the 70s, I could see another country's audience with their own set of cultural backgrounds, not appreciating that too much (if anything, an odd distraction). 2c

ASM2 did $30mm, X-Men DOFP, Cap WS and GOTG will all do less than $10mm- clearly they have no taste.

Japan has its own hero universes

what would those be? You don't mean like the manga heroes and such?

They have manga, but I was thinking of TV shows/movies like:

* Ultraman

* Kamen Riders

* Super Sentai (aka Power Rangers)

* Mazinger Z

* Godzilla

I'm sure there are others. One thing Japan seems to not lack is series like these.

Ultraman is their Superman. (thumbs u

I'm going to assume this means Guardians has been so expertly crafted, it appeals to both the domestic and international markets. What else can it be when seeing a 50%/50% split at the box office?

xqjC6hC.png

ctYfQNj.png

That hasn't happened since Iron Man 2.

:applause:

Just in time for Secret Santa purchases.

:baiting:

Potential Release Date & Cover Art For GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY Blu-Ray/DVD Revealed

----------------

Along with the listing came a potential release date, December 9th, which should make it a hot item during the holiday season. Now, this may just be a placeholder date, but if Marvel's usual 5-6 month wait from the theatrical release to the Blu-ray release is anything to go by, this date fits the bill.

----------------

'Guardians' sountrack hits solid gold

-----------------

Eight weeks after its release, Marvel Music and Hollywood Records’ Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 1 soundtrack has been certified Gold, selling over 500,000 copies. The album was the second chart-topping soundtrack of 2014 and was No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in its second and third weeks of release, for the weeks ending Aug. 10 and Aug. 17. The album also peaked at No. 1 on iTunes in 60 territories.

-----------------