• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardians of the Galaxy news

3,692 posts in this topic

So, no one is saying it, so that means IDK what exactly... but this "release statement" doesn't say whom it is that is voicing the character of Groot. I thought Vin Diesel had this one locked already.

??? [/quote

Probably an oversight. The Diesel as Groot news was official. If he's moved off the project I'm sure that would get immediately picked up before the information is leaked elsewhere.

It was officially announced on the 21st. I'm not sure why Marvel/Disney didn't update the promotional material. Maybe it was too late based on internal procedure and process...

If there is any:

image33.jpg

Thanks for answering!

:)

-slym

I personally think this movie is either going to be a huge success or a huge failure. I don't really see a middle ground.

I really don't see how this works in the mass market, as the average movie-goer has no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.

Thank GOD George Lucas didn't think this way...

I personally think this movie is either going to be a huge success or a huge failure. I don't really see a middle ground.

I really don't see how this works in the mass market, as the average movie-goer has no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are. I was a pretty big comic buyer and I think I own maybe 5-6 issues with them in it, including the Defenders run.

People like us forget that heroes like Avengers, X-Men, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America have been building a "mass market" brand presence for decades, and when you have been consistently pumping out comics since the 40's or 60's, that means something. And not only comics, but action figures, animated series, toys, books, posters, etc., etc. etc. for decade after decade. That's building awareness on generation upon generation upon generation upon generation.

To be blunt, virtually no one outside of nerd culture has any clue who the Guardians of the Galaxy are and there certainly won't be the generational impact of a movie like Avengers to carry it along. I knew people that told me "I've been waiting for an Avengers movie since I was a kid" and they haven't picked up a comic since they were 12.

How many adults out there have been "waiting for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie since there were kids"? :tonofbricks:

Marvel has always gone by the motto that their well-known "characters sell" and if GoG turns out to be an Avengers-level hit, then they have proven themselves wrong by releasing a successful movie about virtually-unknown characters that are B or C-level even among hardcore comic folk.

We'll see.

My thoughts exactly.

I really don't see how this works in the mass market, as the average movie-goer has no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are.

What in the world are you talking about? What pre-existing, C-grade, virtually-unknown comic book characters did George Lucas spend $300 million to bring to the screen?

What in the world are you talking about? What pre-existing, C-grade, virtually-unknown comic book characters did George Lucas spend $300 million to bring to the screen?

His point is if every filmmaker didn't take a shot then many memorable and successful films would never have been made.

I have no idea if Guardians will do well. My guess is no but that's just my guess. (shrug)

Nobody cared or really knew about Iron Man before the movie.

Iron Man wasn't in the public consciousness like Superman, Batman or Spider-Man...but I would bet hard money a heck of a lot of people knew of Iron Man. No one...and I mean NO ONE outside of comic book culture had any clue about the GotG.

That's a cop-out and to say that 40-50 years of comics, toys, and other pop culture paraphernalia means nothing is insane. He was certainly not Spider-man, Superman or Batman level, but to say Iron Man was "totally unknown" is crazy.

His point is if every filmmaker didn't take a shot then many memorable and successful films would never have been made.

And I'm saying that comparing an original idea done on a shoe-string budget by a talented creator (Star Wars) is totally different than the situation with have with GoG.

i.e non-original idea adapted from comics, huge budget with a hack director.

That's a cop-out and to say that 40-50 years of comics, toys, and other pop culture paraphernalia means nothing is insane. He was certainly not Spider-man, Superman or Batman level, but to say Iron Man was "totally unknown" is crazy.

It's not a cop out. Your post referenced "The average movie-goer", and no, I don't think the average movie goer knew anything about Iron Man prior to the movie. Some may have known, but that represents a very very small percentage. I did not/do not mean ALL movie-goers, I meant the average movie-goer.

My point is that you don't need a recognizable comic property to produce a successful comic movie. It's not a hurdle IMO. Comic movies are the main stream and just another summer blockbuster.

You're really losing me in comparing the general awareness of Iron Man with GoG, because I can say without reservation that Iron Man's was exponentially higher.

But damn, awareness of Night Nurse might be higher than GoG's. lol

You're really losing me in comparing the general awareness of Iron Man with GoG, because I can say without reservation that Iron Man's was exponentially higher.

But damn, awareness of Night Nurse might be higher than GoG's. lol

I responding to this with what I feel is a good example.

I do agree with you that Iron Mans visibility was exponentially higher than Gotg is now. Still, that does not mean that average movie-goer knew about either prior to promotion. I don't think that's a hurdle as evidenced by the performance of Iron Man. It's a good example.

I just hate having to reference the actors by name (and what else they have played recently) instead of the character they are portraying.

I hope the story in GotG is truly important to progressing the overall story found in Avengers/individual films.

I have no idea if Guardians will do well. My guess is no but that's just my guess. (shrug)

Thank you Jeffro. JC likes to argue for argument's sake...and I just don't have the energy for his abbrasive, glass is completely empty arse.

This could end up being the next Star Wars type franchise or the next Pluto Nash, but I sure an glad they are doing it. Who knew about NEO before the Wachoski Brothers took a shot at the Matrix? Who new who the hell Skywalker was? Avatar blue aliens? Riddick...WTF is that?

I see this movie for the Sci-Fi fan, not just for the comic book nerd that knows the minutia of the Marvel cosmic universe.

I really don't see how this works in the mass market, as the average movie-goer has no idea who the Guardians of the Galaxy are. I was a pretty big comic buyer and I think I own maybe 5-6 issues with them in it, including the Defenders run.

People like us forget that heroes like Avengers, X-Men, Spider-man, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America have been building a "mass market" brand presence for decades, and when you have been consistently pumping out comics since the 40's or 60's, that means something. And not only comics, but action figures, animated series, toys, books, posters, etc., etc. etc. for decade after decade. That's building awareness on generation upon generation upon generation upon generation.

To be blunt, virtually no one outside of nerd culture has any clue who the Guardians of the Galaxy are and there certainly won't be the generational impact of a movie like Avengers to carry it along. I knew people that told me "I've been waiting for an Avengers movie since I was a kid" and they haven't picked up a comic since they were 12.

How many adults out there have been "waiting for a Guardians of the Galaxy movie since there were kids"? :tonofbricks:

Marvel has always gone by the motto that their well-known "characters sell" and if GoG turns out to be an Avengers-level hit, then they have proven themselves wrong by releasing a successful movie about virtually-unknown characters that are B or C-level even among hardcore comic folk.

We'll see.

:news: After years of tired retreads, Hollywood delivers original material. :news:

I think there are people who will see this movie just because it is a Marvel movie, now that Marvel movies are a big thing at the moment. Beyond that, it will probably appeal to sci fi and action film fans.

I'm not expecting it to be massive but I'm hoping that it might be moderately successful.