• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onsite grading cut off yesterday?

327 posts in this topic

Did they limit submissions per person or just take 1,000 or 2,000 from a dealer and call it good?

Excellent question and the answer is no limit per person.

That is the problem and I personally think it's a poor decision. Customers like myself traveled to get there on Fri to sub books and they were shut less than 3 hours into the show.

I was bummed

Did they limit submissions per person or just take 1,000 or 2,000 from a dealer and call it good?

That is the problem and I personally think it's a poor decision. Customers like myself traveled to get there on Fri to sub books and they were shut less than 3 hours into the show.

I was bummed

That stinks.

Although if they limit the submissions per person you would just have people trying to work around it with friends, etc.

Probably the only solution is to raise the rates to slow demand

they are being graded this weekend. if not for onsite no books would be graded so they are really not cutting into normal business.

Which means that the books waiting at CGC to be graded or encapsulated sit there and take up space for 4 days rather than moving forward in the process. I'm not clear on how this situation does not cut into normal business, at least as far as we customers are concerned. I guess it wouldn't cut into CGC's business because obviously they are still doing some.

As usual, new business is more important than old business. The books in Sarasota are already paid for, so they can sit while they grade someone else's books for new revenue without any improvement in TATs.

they are being graded this weekend. if not for onsite no books would be graded so they are really not cutting into normal business.

Which means that the books waiting at CGC to be graded or encapsulated sit there and take up space for 4 days rather than moving forward in the process. I'm not clear on how this situation does not cut into normal business, at least as far as we customers are concerned. I guess it wouldn't cut into CGC's business because obviously they are still doing some.

As usual, new business is more important than old business. The books in Sarasota are already paid for, so they can sit while they grade someone else's books for new revenue without any improvement in TATs.

what i was saying is that it doesnt cut into old business because if not for onsite grading being done this weekend nothing would have been done. i know the response will be " well they could work weekends and catch up." they dont. so for that reason these books cause no issue with the stuff that has been there.

i have some ss books that i sent through without fast track. been there since november. i know how it sucks to wait. but again if these were not done then nothing would have been done this weekend

like i said in my initial post. what sucked for people who wanted onsite more then anything was that on thursday cgc was already taking onsite. they had boxes full already. this was when only vendors were allowed inside.

what people are not saying is that cgc was there and taking onsite books on thursday night. set up night. so that is when a ton of books were dumped on them before the con even got started.

then you had one person dump a couple hundred at one time and another couple people dump a hundred or so each. throw in the early people friday morning and that was that.

there is no doubt many people went to the con for onsite grading and it was over before they even had a chance.

I'm sure there are many that would like to take a dump on them now.

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

what i was saying is that it doesnt cut into old business because if not for onsite grading being done this weekend nothing would have been done. i know the response will be " well they could work weekends and catch up." they dont. so for that reason these books cause no issue with the stuff that has been there.

i have some ss books that i sent through without fast track. been there since november. i know how it sucks to wait. but again if these were not done then nothing would have been done this weekend

This explanation doesn't wash because at the very least they weren't working on Thursday or Friday because of on site grading. I am guessing that Thursday and Friday would have been spent on regular subs otherwise. So even without weekend grading (and word is that they have been working on Saturday to catch up) they lost two days this week. So again, how is this not cutting into normal business?

An idea.... everyone and I mean everyone should stop submitting books for a minimum of 6 months.

I'd say the back log problem would end... and chances are grading fees might decrease in the short run :)

Well if they didn't decrease, then wait a year to sub anything else... I'd bet good money grading fees would go down by then and a three week turnaround. :)

i dont work fro cgc. i am not trying to defend cgc. hell i wish they had some legit competition out there.

i have heard of a partial second shift working but have heard nothing of saturdays to catch up.

the argument you are trying to make could go as far as cgc at cons altogether. if you cant handle subs that are mailed in why go to cons.

for that matter why allow someone to pay more money and get their books graded faster with fast track.

what i would think and i dont know this for a fact because again i dont work for cgc. even if you take into consideration books that were turned in thursday. by the time they got to graders friday would have had to have been shot for the most part. so still not really holding graders back from grading books that are already sitting there.

I was bummed

That stinks.

Although if they limit the submissions per person you would just have people trying to work around it with friends, etc.

Probably the only solution is to raise the rates to slow demand

No way they limit dealers submissions. That's their bread and butter.

But this is a sign they could increase the onsite fee and still reach their goal for submissions.

No way they limit dealers submissions. That's their bread and butter.

But this is a sign they could increase the onsite fee and still reach their goal for submissions.

"Hose 'em, Dano." :lol:

I know I understand nothing about comic collecting, and even less about running a business, but haven't they ever thought about expanding their business? Seems like they're doing a pretty good job alienating their customer base.

I know I understand nothing about comic collecting, and even less about running a business, but haven't they ever thought about expanding their business? Seems like they're doing a pretty good job alienating their customer base.
Naah - scarcity + high demand = major league $$$

You're probably right but it seems like it opens the door to a competitior, even though none seem to be on the horizon.

stuff it lizzie.

An idea.... everyone and I mean everyone should stop submitting books for a minimum of 6 months.

I'd say the back log problem would end... and chances are grading fees might decrease in the short run :)

Well if they didn't decrease, then wait a year to sub anything else... I'd bet good money grading fees would go down by then and a three week turnaround. :)

:rulez:

You're supposed to complain. Not come up with a way to heavily influence CGC in taking action.

:rulez:

You're supposed to complain. Not come up with a way to heavily influence CGC in taking action.

Rupp's trying to organize a group of people who needed 16 options in the "HOW DO YOU TAPE YOUR BAGS SHUT" poll.