• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onsite grading cut off yesterday?

327 posts in this topic

I know I understand nothing about comic collecting, and even less about running a business, but haven't they ever thought about expanding their business? Seems like they're doing a pretty good job alienating their customer base.
Naah - scarcity + high demand = major league $$$
stuff it lizzie.
Where do you want it first? banana052.gif

:idea:

We need a CGC submitters union! I'll get it going, once I have $100 union dues from 1000 submitters. Fight the power!

There will always be someone throwing off your rally. Better to have the right spokesperson that can capture the hearts!

Or at least chase them all down.

Did they limit submissions per person or just take 1,000 or 2,000 from a dealer and call it good?

Excellent question and the answer is no limit per person.

That is the problem and I personally think it's a poor decision. Customers like myself traveled to get there on Fri to sub books and they were shut less than 3 hours into the show.

I was bummed

That stinks.

Although if they limit the submissions per person you would just have people trying to work around it with friends, etc.

Probably the only solution is to raise the rates to slow demand

You trying to tell me my toddler and my two year old are not allowed to sub 50 books each? Hey they both love HG modern drek. :insane:

I don't have any kids yet but I could so see someone trying to do this.

they are being graded this weekend. if not for onsite no books would be graded so they are really not cutting into normal business.

Which means that the books waiting at CGC to be graded or encapsulated sit there and take up space for 4 days rather than moving forward in the process. I'm not clear on how this situation does not cut into normal business, at least as far as we customers are concerned. I guess it wouldn't cut into CGC's business because obviously they are still doing some.

As usual, new business is more important than old business. The books in Sarasota are already paid for, so they can sit while they grade someone else's books for new revenue without any improvement in TATs.

what i was saying is that it doesnt cut into old business because if not for onsite grading being done this weekend nothing would have been done. i know the response will be " well they could work weekends and catch up." they dont. so for that reason these books cause no issue with the stuff that has been there.

i have some ss books that i sent through without fast track. been there since november. i know how it sucks to wait. but again if these were not done then nothing would have been done this weekend

This explanation doesn't wash because at the very least they weren't working on Thursday or Friday because of on site grading. I am guessing that Thursday and Friday would have been spent on regular subs otherwise. So even without weekend grading (and word is that they have been working on Saturday to catch up) they lost two days this week. So again, how is this not cutting into normal business?

They were still working on Moderns on Thursday and Friday. (shrug)

i have heard of a partial second shift working but have heard nothing of saturdays to catch up.

"First – it is embarrassing for us to be this far behind for over a year. Everyone here at CGC wants to get turn around times under control. We (the Grading Team) are working until 7pm and on Saturdays to get as many books graded as possible." Paul Litch

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=265516&Number=5857595#Post5857595

I know I understand nothing about comic collecting, and even less about running a business, but haven't they ever thought about expanding their business? Seems like they're doing a pretty good job alienating their customer base.
stuff it lizzie.
ear sex. remember? you threw pebbles at my window.

We need a CGC submitters union! I'll get it going, once I have $100 union dues from 1000 submitters. Fight the power!

There will always be someone throwing off your rally. Better to have the right spokesperson that can capture the hearts!

:roflmao:

stuff it lizzie.
:blush: I was a little drunk at the time.....,

stuff it lizzie.
:blush: I was a little drunk at the time.....,
Oh, now you tell me.

You're probably right but it seems like it opens the door to a competitior, even though none seem to be on the horizon.

It is only a matter of time.

How many legitimate coin grading companies are there?

:roflmao:
After the classic quote fail, that is a classic vid :thumbsup:

You're probably right but it seems like it opens the door to a competitior, even though none seem to be on the horizon.

:eek: Are there some?

:eek: Are there some?
Legitimacy of grading. :o

I assume it's because they were swamped with submissions rather than from having less than the expected staff available. But does anyone know?

They took the books from Orlando and drove them back to Sarasota to grade and encapsulate. I'm sure they had a total # in mind of what they could get done in 2 days and they hit that number very quickly.

This is exactly the case. This is not a true on-site grading. Books are driven up at the end of the show and not brought down in batches as they would be in Philly or Chicago.

I assume it's because they were swamped with submissions rather than from having less than the expected staff available. But does anyone know?

They took the books from Orlando and drove them back to Sarasota to grade and encapsulate. I'm sure they had a total # in mind of what they could get done in 2 days and they hit that number very quickly.

This is exactly the case. This is not a true on-site grading. Books are driven up at the end of the show and not brought down in batches as they would be in Philly or Chicago.

One of the main reasons I flew down to Orlando was to be able to submit some books for on site.

What really surprised me was that they were able to grade many more books in Chicago and Philly than they were in Orlando.

The limiting factor seems to be the driver, making one trip every day to the show mid afternoon and taking the next load back.

I find it odd that they can accept more books on the other side of the country, where they have to pay airfare, hotels and ship the encapsulation machines to another state than they can in their own backyard.

With such a minimum of expenses, you'd think they could grade many more books at home than in Chicago or Philly. I guess not.

Legitimate and respected?

Two. NGC and PCGS. At least coins slabbed by these two companies sell on a (relative) par with each other, even on sight unseen bid networks... ultra high grade moderns aside.

Just legitimate?

At least two others, ANACS and ICG. Very little doubt that they are legit, but periods of inconsistency have rendered their grading a bit more suspect. Their variety verification and authenticity certification is at the level of NGC and PCGS. But higher grade pieces in their slabs (frequently, not always) trade at a pretty substantial discount.

Many know my booth was directly beside CGC. This entire afternoon, there were about 6 people in the booth doing absolutely nothing. Are you telling me that they couldn't have had a couple of those people driving an extra trip back and forth to Sarasota????? Its 122 miles. Lets see 50 dollars or so in gas, against taking another 1700 books or so at on site grading prices? Really?

Glad they don't make business decisions for me

One of the main reasons I flew down to Orlando was to be able to submit some books for on site.

What really surprised me was that they were able to grade many more books in Chicago and Philly than they were in Orlando.

The limiting factor seems to be the driver, making one trip every day to the show mid afternoon and taking the next load back.

I find it odd that they can accept more books on the other side of the country, where they have to pay airfare, hotels and ship the encapsulation machines to another state than they can in their own backyard.

With such a minimum of expenses, you'd think they could grade many more books at home than in Chicago or Philly. I guess not.

Shouldn't you be out drinking by now?