• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perils of Media Mail

56 posts in this topic

Well, in all fairness, they are in transit. Due to the bizarroness of usps, a media mail package sent from brooklyn to queens must first go in the opposite direction and be processed in jersey city and perhaps maryland. Go figure.

Blob, I do feel for you. Media mail does take longer when the package is heavy. I had a stack of first class envelopes I forgot to put stamps on and the post office took about 3 weeks to return those. It is very low priority for them. I believe that ebay/paypal will refund you once the package is delivered. It is frustrating to wait though.

As for the scanning, my post office now states that DC is called tracking. So when I questioned the manager, he mentioned that they should be scanned at certain points during the destination. I told him that does happen and in fact I now wait in line for all my packages to get scanned in even though they are prepaid.

Good luck.

If you do not ask them to scan they do not necessarily scan, even when you hand them a ppackage at the window. Happened to me on some priority mail shipments, no tracking info for a week.

For someone who doesn't use eBay or Paypal, it just seems like there would have to be somebody somewhere, or a bunch of somebodies somewhere who could come up with a better system. From my research and reading, both are pretty rogue. And eBay owns Paypal, correct? That's a rogue monopoly. Mix in the USPS and their rogue methods of delivery and investigation and wow, i'm even more glad I don't use the evil eBay :whee:

Well, in all fairness, they are in transit. Due to the bizarroness of usps, a media mail package sent from brooklyn to queens must first go in the opposite direction and be processed in jersey city and perhaps maryland. Go figure.

I get the same deal sometimes shipping from NJ to NJ. Packages go to Philly, then back to NJ.

By the way.... Jersey City sort facility is one of the worst in the country. You can read about sellers complaining about the Jersey City sort facility on the Ebay forums all the time. I actually have to call USPS 50% of the time for Media Mail shipments that get stuck there. A phone call usually "shakes the package loose.".

For someone who doesn't use eBay or Paypal, it just seems like there would have to be somebody somewhere, or a bunch of somebodies somewhere who could come up with a better system. From my research and reading, both are pretty rogue. And eBay owns Paypal, correct? That's a rogue monopoly. Mix in the USPS and their rogue methods of delivery and investigation and wow, i'm even more glad I don't use the evil eBay :whee:

I have been doing this for 14 years on ebay, around 2000 sales between my 2 accounts and this was the first. Had to happen eventually.

Well he has the books and says he will pay for them once ebay gets the money back on his cc.

I guess the neg will stand as that was about slow shipping not crappy product

Meanwhile my wife is getting ready to divorce me for getting a neg on her ebay acct

Blob, I do feel for you. Media mail does take longer when the package is heavy. I had a stack of first class envelopes I forgot to put stamps on and the post office took about 3 weeks to return those. It is very low priority for them. I believe that ebay/paypal will refund you once the package is delivered. It is frustrating to wait though.

As for the scanning, my post office now states that DC is called tracking. So when I questioned the manager, he mentioned that they should be scanned at certain points during the destination. I told him that does happen and in fact I now wait in line for all my packages to get scanned in even though they are prepaid.

Good luck.

If you do not ask them to scan they do not necessarily scan, even when you hand them a ppackage at the window. Happened to me on some priority mail shipments, no tracking info for a week.

I specifically ask for a receipt. I sent a MM package last year with DVDs to the Chicago area. Three weeks later, the buyer still didn't receive it nor did anyone at the post office scan the package along the way. My post office could do nothing as the package was never initially scanned in. Surprisingly, after I called the 1800 number the package was scanned in and delivered within 2 days.

Basically, everyone at the PO told me that they could not do anything for me as I had no proof of even mailing the package. Now I wait inline and get a receipt. I was lucky and my ebay buyer was very patient. I was just about to refund her the full amount when the package got scanned into the system.

update, the buyer shorted me $100 on the $375 price, telling me that's what he was willing to pay and that he could just keep the books and the refund, so he's being all nice and stuff. and then left another nasty (and objectively false) feedback... he even complained that I included non-BA books in the lot (it was a BA/SA lot)..sure, those CA books were the EXTRAs I included when I re-packed and felt bad because I screwed up the initial shipment...so basically the guy complains, in feedback, because I included a nice stack of mcfarlane hulks as extras that weren't part of what he paid for!! sonofaperson_without_enough_empathy. and he descrbed the lot as a bunch of $1 books...the lots included dozens of 9.2 - 9.6 1970's (and some early 80's) ASMs from the 140s on up...the lot is based on Overstreet prices, not hypothetical ebay or bargain basement box at a con value, and he complained that I calculated the value of the lots based on...yes, Overstreet, just like I said I would!

what really irritates me is that he gets 2 lines to write nasty things about me and i only get one line to respond.

mind you, ebay's estimated time of delivery for this package (which consisted of two lots I combined under one shipping lable, which he was fine with) was 3/15 and it was delivered on 3/18. so, in the land of ebay, if you miss the estimated delivery time by a few days you are out your stuff AND your money? i have e-mailed them 10 times about this with no response.

i understand, this was not my finest hour and if I had sucked it up and gotten things done sooner after getting home from work at midnight most nights, i probably wouldn't have gotten it to him late even with the shipping debacle, but criminey, i loose my frigging power seller status, $100, etc etc all because of some likely mentally ill guy.

i e-mailed ebay and asked them when i fill out my plice report, whose name at ebay should i include as an accessory to the crime?

All of that stinks.

Have you tried Junkdrawer's tactic?

I had a similar experience with media mail and ebay. The item in the end took 5 weeks to get delivered. I understood the buyers reason for opening up a case. He paid for something and got tired of waiting for it. ebay despite the tracking notations of in transit still sided with the buyer and I was understanding as well. I made connections with tracking to email me when package got delivered. the same day it arrived I called ebay and they paid me that same day. Done deal.

EBay should be responsible for retrieving your money since they opened and closed the case prior to the estimated delivery window passing.

Also approach it from a Seller Protection point of view since you should have delivery confirmation.

Unfortunately the amount of time fighting it might not be worth $100

Also, ask to have the feedback removed since he ultimately was a non-paying bidder.

dopebay denied the appeal because i did not have signature confirmation and he item was over $250, so I'm SOL because the guy said he didn't get it. nevermind that he isn't claiming it now as opposed to last week when he had not, in fact, gotten it! you get coverage at $249, but not $251? that's b.s. i had always assumed this meant they only covered you UP TO $250 with no S.S., which is a more logical reading and more than i need here as I was only shorted $100.

i have written them back to advise them that i have e-mails showing how he hassled me to not use signture confirmation after an earlier order i sent to him where I had used it, but they'll probably so that isn't enough.

i also have e-mails indicating he did receive the items.

i swear, ebay is a bunch of automatons. over the years I guestimate I have paid them $8-$9,000 in fees and this is how i am treated.

Ugh, sorry to read all this, Blob.

It may be of little comfort, but IMO it's a credit to you that you're just now getting your first neg, given that you've sold a bunch of these grab bag lots. Knowing you, I have no doubt the value is there, but it seems to rely on buyer perceptions re whether what they got was a fair deal and whether they like the titles, etc... not to mention mail delays and so forth. There is quite a bit of potential for bumps in the road.

yes, it's hard to make everyone happy with every comic without losing money when you're sending 200+ comics. a NM or maybe better ASM 158 ought to balance out a Kamandi, no? but some people only see the kamandi.