• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need a little E-Bay help

34 posts in this topic

Anyone selling something has his/her right to do whatever they want, right?

Don't you think the bidders have the right to certain expectations? I know I stopped bidding on the person's other books, whenever someone pulled something like that, it was just wasting my time otherwise.

I'm not saying stuff doesn't happen, and there aren't reasons why someone would want to pull an auction. If you find you made an error in the listing, or you find out the item is not what you thought it was, etc, etc. but as a general rule of thumb, you kind of make the choice when you enter the auction process.

Nah. Ebay is a service. It doesn't control what someone who owns something decides to do with it. This is a free country right? Place an item on Ebay, get a great BIN offer, it's up to the owner of the property to decide if they want to go for it.

Don't you think the bidders have the right to certain expectations? I know I stopped bidding on the person's other books, whenever someone pulled something like that, it was just wasting my time otherwise.

I'm not saying stuff doesn't happen, and there aren't reasons why someone would want to pull an auction. If you find you made an error in the listing, or you find out the item is not what you thought it was, etc, etc. but as a general rule of thumb, you kind of make the choice when you enter the auction process.

Nah. Ebay is a service. It doesn't control what someone who owns something decides to do with it. This is a free country right? Place an item on Ebay, get a great BIN offer, it's up to the owner of the property to decide if they want to go for it.

Actually they DID have an out at one time, where you could say it was listed in two places...and subject to prior sale, but I think they removed that text.

What about if it was listed on Comic Link? Wasn't there some thread where someone bought a book that was listed on Clink and then got around paying the fees...after all, they are just a service as well?

You know, I really hated it when eBay started masking names, blocking email addresses, because I met a lot of friendly collectors there, but unfortunately I can kind of see their point, given your statement.

I should have known...

*facepalm*

Why the facepalm? I think that's a great rule, I didn't know about it until now. Finally Ebay does something that makes sense.

Ebay are greedy pigs, and this just stinks of more greed. Give them a warning, a suspension, or a ban outright - but don't charge someone money because now their profit is gone. I mean, if this was an actual auction house where people worked to make your auction happen, I could understand. But, this an electronic auction site, they did little to make it happen other than host the webspace.

I digress, at least momentarily - if it is a nominal charge (say 25 cents) then really, no harm. But if they charge more than that, I say ridiculous. I honestly don't know what the cancelled bid charge is, so I may be wayyy off base.

-slym

As a person who is only a buyer, I don't think there's any ethical problem with canceling the auction. If that happened to me (as a buyer), I'd just move on, it's not like there's not other auctions for the same stuff. (but I might put the seller on my do not buy from list, because when someone cancels an auction I know something's fishy going on - I'm not saying it's an ethical issue, it's more like do I want to deal with this seller as it might be too much of a hassle)

But, aside from the ethical issue, I think this sounds fishy. It sounds like this person's offer is way over what the current bid is. If you cancel the auction and begin working with this person, you might be getting into a major hassle.

Actually they DID have an out at one time, where you could say it was listed in two places...and subject to prior sale, but I think they removed that text.

What about if it was listed on Comic Link? Wasn't there some thread where someone bought a book that was listed on Clink and then got around paying the fees...after all, they are just a service as well?

You know, I really hated it when eBay started masking names, blocking email addresses, because I met a lot of friendly collectors there, but unfortunately I can kind of see their point, given your statement.

I am in agreement about blocking email as I, too, met hundreds of fantastic people by selling on Ebay. Even got invited to vacation in Germany for free RB from one! As for CL, their policy is that if something's listed, it can't be listed online anywhere else. But some sellers do it anyway.

I am in agreement about blocking email as I, too, met hundreds of fantastic people by selling on Ebay. Even got invited to vacation in Germany for free RB from one! As for CL, their policy is that if something's listed, it can't be listed online anywhere else. But some sellers do it anyway.

We got picked up at the airport in London by someone who was an official with the Singapore Embassy ,,in one of their limos :) It was a lot of fun...he collected Wonder Woman Comics, I need to email him:) it's been a while.

As a person who is only a buyer, I don't think there's any ethical problem with canceling the auction. If that happened to me (as a buyer), I'd just move on, it's not like there's not other auctions for the same stuff. (but I might put the seller on my do not buy from list, because when someone cancels an auction I know something's fishy going on - I'm not saying it's an ethical issue, it's more like do I want to deal with this seller as it might be too much of a hassle)

But, aside from the ethical issue, I think this sounds fishy. It sounds like this person's offer is way over what the current bid is. If you cancel the auction and begin working with this person, you might be getting into a major hassle.

The example I provided was merely that, an example. As I said the item is not at all Comic related and it's not mine. I was just wondering what people thought about that type of practice.

I contacted the owner of the item and they are amenable to selling it but not at the price offered. The item sold once for significantly more than is being offered but it turned out to be a non-paying bidder. Personally, I think the "contact" is hoping to buy it well under market value and immediately resell it...

Once again, thanks to all who lent their thoughts...

We got picked up at the airport in London by someone who was an official with the Singapore Embassy ,,in one of their limos :) It was a lot of fun...he collected Wonder Woman Comics, I need to email him:) it's been a while.

That's cool Sky.

(thumbs u

I don't think that I made it clear that I was talking about the OP's situation: the auction had a bid. To me there's a big difference if the auction doesn't have any bids. If an auction has run a few days, has no bids, and then disappears off the Watch List, that sucks, but hey. I may not like it, but it's really my own fault. I could have bid on the auction at any time before that.

I've been on Ebay for 15 years and I can't tell you how many auctions were pulled with an hour to go, before good sniping software, when you had to snipe it yourself.

Based on the input received, we decided to let the auction run it's course and will continue that policy in the future... :sumo:
That's my policy. You won't ever know what woulda, coulda, shoulda happened if you made decisions to end or not end. Keeping a policy of not ending auctions removes stress and guarantees that you will win some and lose some.