• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do YOU consider to be Silver Age Marvels?

26 posts in this topic

Print runs, high or low, do not make a book profound, content makes a book profound

Forum members don't let other forum members do drugs. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Unless it's Prozac, then I'm all in favor of you trying it! thumbsup2.gif

Print runs, high or low, do not make a book profound, content makes a book profound

Forum members don't let other forum members do drugs. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Unless it's Prozac, then I'm all in favor of you trying it! thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, it looks like you've drained the country's supply.

I agree with 143ksk - having been a Marvel fan in the very late 60s & early 70s, there was a definite sense that the quarter books were the begining of a new era - even more so than such dramatic events as Kirby leaving and the appearance of Conan #1. Perhaps it was just the final confirmation that the Silver Age was truely over, but earlier citations for the begining of a Bronze Age are title specific and only obvious in retrospect.

As to when Marvel's SA began - for super-hero centric fanboys back then, there was a feeling that what came before FF #1 was irrelevant, but even a cursory examination of pre-hero Marvels shows that the roots of the early Marvel hero books are there, and not just with proto-types, many of which require a stretch of the definition, but in the general tone and look of the stories, Kirby and Ditko as primary illustrators, the FF battling monsters and aliens, the Hulk's appearance and relationship with the rest of mankind, The suspicion with which Spider-man is regarded, all indicate an extension of pre-hero ideas rather than a completely new approach. I would argue that Marvel's Silver Age starts in late 1958, when Lee & Kirby chart a new direction with Atlas' remaining fantasy mags after the Atlas Implosion, and add ToS & TTA to their meager line-up.

The first Overstreet that was sold in the bookstore in Barrington, Illinois was Overstreet 6, the one with the Spirit cover, which would be the 1976 issue.

In 1976 and 1977, when I started collecting comics, everybody I knew had a definitive end for the Silver Age - the 25 cent giants that came out in November 1971. The last Silver Age FF story was the arc ending in FF 116. Conversely, the FIRST "Bronze Age" (it wasn't called that then) Avengers story was the Adams arc beginning in Avengers 93.

Just put a poll in the Permanent Comic Collecting & Poll forum. You can choose any or all of the following:

.15 cent cover price begins

Kirby leaves Marvel, 1970

Conan # 1 debut

.25 cent Giant cover price

Kirby's 4th world begins

Overstreet Price Guide # 1, 1970

other factor(s) not listed in poll

Poll will last until Aug. 28th. You must vote to view results. Just FYI. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I am in the group that counts the silver age from FF#1 to #116 (25 cent giants).

However, one other point to make:

"The 25-cent Giants confirmed the Bronze Age for all mags (and as Stan proclaimed in the Bullpen Bulletins) started "the Second Age of Marvel Comics". "

I would note that the Marvel Bullpen (Stan's Soapbox) from April 1968 stated "Now that we have announced the start of the Second Golden age of Marvel, we must also announce the end of an era!" And also states "Know thou this: we are just getting started! This is the beginning of the Second Golden Age of Marvel".

So I guess according to Stan the Man, it goes like this:

First Golden age of Marvel: FF#1-FF#73

Second Golden Age of Marvel: FF#74 (and all of the May '68 #1's) - FF #116

Second Age of Marvel comics: FF#117 forward.

Any other announced ages of marvel comics I may have missed here?

-Rival