• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katy Keene 1 Incomplete BUMMED OUT!

65 posts in this topic

My guess is that's the case. As we discussed earlier in the thread... this was disassembly and reassembly, which is not considered resto according to those within cgc since there is nothing touched, pressed, repaired, cleaned or colored. The glasses are secured by one staple on the spine and come no where near the edge of the book - unlike marrying a cover to a comic book where the holes in the cover might not line up with two staples in the spine. I cannot imagine how anyone would be able to tell they were not always there, and as they are both original and in great shape I'm thrilled to forever commit it to my collection as a universal copy.

I'm bumping and renaming this thread, because I really have not found any others dedicated to Katy, and because I have a question that's not relevant to my original topic.

I was doing my regular browse through eBay, CC, CL, HA, etc. last night, when something occurred to me that for whatever reason never had before. Of the remaining holes in my Archie collection there was a noticeable gap in my run of Katy Keene Fashion Book. It hit me that I probably overlooked the fact that they skipped some issues (i.e. Archie's Joke Book 4-14, and two sizable gaps in Archie's Giant Series). I popped open Overstreet and at the top it does say (nn 3-10). This of course makes me happy cause it just shaved 7 books off my countdown to a complete Archie collection, but it also made me wonder why I'd never noticed it before and sparked some paranoia. So, since you guys have already given me some great tips for collecting Katy Keene, I figured I'd turn to the boards for more sage advice. Can you confirm my findings?

Not trying to waste time, as I have never seen in all my collecting years issues 3-10, and the guide does clearly say nn 3-10, but I am double/triple checking because I'm not used to seeing skipped books referenced that way. In my experience 'nn' means 'no number' and has always been used for one-shots that were not assigned a number on the cover. I can provide 1000 examples, but nobody here needs them. Thing is, if you look under Archie's Giant Series it states #36-135 and 252-451 DO NOT EXIST. Why say do not exist in one place and nn in another?

I'm bumping and renaming this thread, because I really have not found any others dedicated to Katy, and because I have a question that's not relevant to my original topic.

I was doing my regular browse through eBay, CC, CL, HA, etc. last night, when something occurred to me that for whatever reason never had before. Of the remaining holes in my Archie collection there was a noticeable gap in my run of Katy Keene Fashion Book. It hit me that I probably overlooked the fact that they skipped some issues (i.e. Archie's Joke Book 4-14, and two sizable gaps in Archie's Giant Series). I popped open Overstreet and at the top it does say (nn 3-10). This of course makes me happy cause it just shaved 7 books off my countdown to a complete Archie collection, but it also made me wonder why I'd never noticed it before and sparked some paranoia. So, since you guys have already given me some great tips for collecting Katy Keene, I figured I'd turn to the boards for more sage advice. Can you confirm my findings?

Not trying to waste time, as I have never seen in all my collecting years issues 3-10, and the guide does clearly say nn 3-10, but I am double/triple checking because I'm not used to seeing skipped books referenced that way. In my experience 'nn' means 'no number' and has always been used for one-shots that were not assigned a number on the cover. I can provide 1000 examples, but nobody here needs them. Thing is, if you look under Archie's Giant Series it states #36-135 and 252-451 DO NOT EXIST. Why say do not exist in one place and nn in another?

No issues from 3-10 is actually incorrect. That should be no issue from 3-12. The numbering is 1,2, then 13 through 23.

As for page counts, this is a quirky series. There are several issues that have only 24 internal pages instead of 32 and this is normal. They essentially just dropped two inner wraps.

I've seen info from the 1980's Katy fan club confirming that #19 is a 24 page issue but one or two issues before and after are 24 pages as well. These books didn't have 3rd party advertising so maybe Archie just reduced page count. I actually had a copy of 19 relegated to my comic junk pile for a number of years because I thought it was incomplete. I've since found a second copy that's the same. I eventually found fan club info from Craig Leavitt who became probably the leading Katy Keene expert and published the newsletters in the 1980's.

Feel free to pm me if you want to talk Katy. I've grown very fond of the 1940's/1950's series over the years and I am 2 Pin-Up Parade issues short of having all of the original Katy books.