• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time Magazine - WWII and D-Day - June 12, 1944 posted by Buzzetta

11 posts in this topic

Golden Age Time Magazines

When scouring the internet for old comics, occasionally you find something cool that falls into the paper publication category but isn't a funny book. I have acquired a few of these from the time period and I must say, they are pretty cheap and easily affordable. They are time capsules that offer a glimpse into what life was like about 70 years ago, view the world that now refer to as the Greatest Generation.

This is one of the few issues I own and one of the "cooler" issues to have. I picked this up in 2010 after realizing that It was Time's earliest publication reporting on the invasion of Normandy. Inside are articles that would seem out of place by today's standards. There is the standard reporting, war propaganda, features on officers and other areas of interests of the time. The advertisements are quite distinct for the time.

I do not think I would ever get this CGC'd as it is more beneficial, ads and all to page through. The books are relatively cheap to obtain even in 6.0-8.0 condition. If the opportunity arises for you to obtain some of the older copies, I urge you to do so and give it a read. I found them pretty interesting and thought I would share.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/06/d-da...mandy-invasion/

Images to follow...

See more journals by Buzzetta

Wow...that "unions asbestos means progress in insulation" ad is freakin' freaky. One of my best friend's dad (a veteran ex-plumber) is dying of mesothelioma from that poisonous substance. And to see it being advertised as "progress" is ironic to the nth degree. Hubris.

And when I eat Spam, I always make sure to have a nice helping of pretzel sticks. WTF? :)

This is very cool, Buzzetta.

I made the same thing with Italy (starting with comics and getting into period publications of any kind to grasp better the historical moment), and this is also one of the reasons for which I finally "discovered" Golden Age US comic books.

:)

I love history and I love to see old magazines. It is like a time capsule. You get to see what was going on first hand instead of just by a secondary source. Usually today’s perspective of history is tainted with today’s perspective. lol. I have a stack of about 150 New Jersey Bell magazines I purchased last year at an Estate sale for 10.00 and they run from about 1929 to 1960 in mostly VG to VF condition. For the most part they were given to just employees, kind of like an interoffice report, so they are very limited. The thing is the covers are beautiful and many times incorporate what was going on at the time. What I find really interesting is how they would include pop culture and current events but they weren’t a “news” magazine. It was Bell’s perspective on things as well as a way to “spin” events to the company’s needs. What is also interesting is the diversity and specifics of what some people collect. The first week I listed them I had a gentleman buy one of the books for 200.00. It was the issue that came out in 1943 and had an American flag on it. That was the only things he collected. Something with American flags on it from World War II. I wish I still had the picture of it because it was very cool. I will try to post a couple of others that look good.

That is cool - I was paging through a couple of others and may post a couple of pics from the other advertisements. There was a great article on the usefulness of DDT as a pesticide that I found fascinating.

Have you ever seen the old videos on like the History channel that show families playing in their suburban neighborhoods back then and the DDT truck comes around, like the ice cream truck, and blasts everyone in the face with the poison. The whole family, babies and all, are engulfed in billowing clouds of smoke. On a similar note, African governments have petitioned America and the U.N.(it is illegal to use DDT) to be able to use the stuff to kill mosquitos because of their malaria epidemics. They say that the use of the pesticide is far less dangerous and costly than the deaths caused by the disease. If you want to talk about Wolverine first appearance I can do that too. lol.