• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superhero book with the best covers

34 posts in this topic

Was walking the Dayton/Gem City con floor on Saturday and booth after booth found myself showing Silver and Bronze era Flash covers to my wife, always saying something to the effect of "what a great cover."

Which leads to my question, which superhero title from the Silver/Bronze era do you consider to consistently have presented the best covers?

For me, obviously, Flash. There was a humanness, a quirkiness and sometimes a very dark sense of humor to them, especially in the late 60s/early 70s when I was buying. The O'Neil/Adams era of GL is a close second.

So what about the rest of you? Green Lantern? Spidey? Batman? What title in Silver/Bronze do you consider to have offered the best covers?

Nick Cardy titles - later Aquaman, Teen Titans, Spectre, Bat Lash - come to mind, though Bat Lash isn't technically a superhero title.

I was surprised the OP didn't point this out, being a BA Flash fan.

Cardy did many great covers on many DC super-hero titles from late SA to early BA, thereabouts. Whether they were patchy in quality or consistently excellent as runs is down to personal taste, though. As I've said before, at the time his covers certainly enticed me to buy lots of DCs with crappy interiors.

This thread needs pictures. Just saying... :sumo:

Though not a "Superhero," he was a "Super Character," if that would suffice for the OP. :wishluck:

There are a couple other really cool ones in the series,

but here some I own that I have in Ghettobucket.

Love me some painted covers :cloud9:

photo1-2_zpse0f66b98.jpg

SKMBT_C45212081313392.jpg

SKMBT_C45212081313411.jpg

SKMBT_C45212081313412.jpg

Nick Cardy titles - later Aquaman, Teen Titans, Spectre, Bat Lash - come to mind, though Bat Lash isn't technically a superhero title.

I was surprised the OP didn't point this out, being a BA Flash fan.

Cardy did many great covers on many DC super-hero titles from late SA to early BA, thereabouts. Whether they were patchy in quality or consistently excellent as runs is down to personal taste, though. As I've said before, at the time his covers certainly enticed me to buy lots of DCs with crappy interiors.

I'm realizing that I'm talking more SA than BA. For me, I'm thinking more the Infantino up to the Adams covers. Some of the Andru covers. As for Cardy, his work was okay...not great...sorry but to me he didn't have a distinct style. I never liked Gil Kane...something about how he drew those noses. All just personal opinion. Fun to read what everyone has to offer.