• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery Box Auction Pt 2 A Reverse Auction.

31 posts in this topic

First and only hint

One book is a Secret Wars 8 in 9.0 or better;

Its not the best book in the lot.

However-once the price drops books will start migrating back out of the box.

Not trying to bash the seller as I may just be ignorant on how these mystery boxes work. I thought the whole point of the mystery box was that the contents were already set & that they remained set no matter what it sold for. As the price goes down, do the quality of the books go down?

First and only hint

Not trying to bash the seller as I may just be ignorant on how these mystery boxes work. I thought the whole point of the mystery box was that the contents were already set & that they remained set no matter what it sold for. As the price goes down, do the quality of the books go down?

Yes, but the reverse is also true. the higher the bidding goes, the more stuff you get.

In most cases, i contact the buyer and try and get a feel of what he collects. A Legion HC archive might be great for a DC collector but could end up as a place mat for a guy who collects only Marvel or Image.

My goal with these boxes is two fold. First to make room for new inventory, and second -to please the buyer. I could flip that order as both are equally important to me. I generally don't make much off of these, that's not really my goal.

In any event, I believe this will be my last reverse auction. It took far too long to finish.

My last regular auction took about 48 hours from start to finish and I'll be sticking to that format.

First and only hint

Yes, but the reverse is also true. the higher the bidding goes, the more stuff you get.

In most cases, i contact the buyer and try and get a feel of what he collects. A Legion HC archive might be great for a DC collector but could end up as a place mat for a guy who collects only Marvel or Image.

My goal with these boxes is two fold. First to make room for new inventory, and second -to please the buyer. I could flip that order as both are equally important to me. I generally don't make much off of these, that's not really my goal.

In any event, I believe this will be my last reverse auction. It took far too long to finish.

My last regular auction took about 48 hours from start to finish and I'll be sticking to that format.

I think the format is fine but move it at a faster pace and I bet you will end with the same bid. Hard to check back over 3 days or so.

Agreed...do the whole auction over an advertised period of 3 hours or so. That would be fun. :)

Trouble with that is that limits the members getting a chance to see it too much.

Agreed...do the whole auction over an advertised period of 3 hours or so. That would be fun. :)

Trouble with that is that limits the members getting a chance to see it too much.

Agreed. 8-12 hours would be better. Long enough for lots to see it and short enough to still be exciting.

Mystery box arrived and it was a fun time opening it.

(3) CGC Books

(5) Trade Paper Backs (

(1) Graphic Novel

(13) Raw books ( Highlights = Secret Wars 8, ASM 169, reader copy of Challengers of the Unknown #15)

Handful of extra mylars

Overall experience = great! I'm looking forward to reading all the TPBs

Thanks Shadroch!

-Steve