• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Miss Michael (Zeck, that is)

83 posts in this topic

The original art to the Punisher Limited Series covers were painted relatively large - 20" x 30". Zeck did a slightly smaller set of pencils for each cover and then transferred them to the larger board. Then Phil Zimelman painted them. I remember Mike telling me that it took Zimelman between one week and one month to paint each cover.

The original art to the first poster was even larger. But, after it such a bear to do, Mike decided he wasn't going to work that large ever again. As the years went by, the Zeck/Zimelman collabrations got a little smaller, but the colors on all of them are incredible to see in person!

Here's his early work checklist. I think one of these is his 1st cover, though the Savage Sword was an inside cover art contribution.

October 1974:

The Savage Sword Of Conan (1974) #2

February 1975:

Rocket's Blast Comicollector / RBCC (1962) #116

October 1975:

Creepy Things (1975) #2

Scary Tales (1975) #2

Although Rocket's Blast Comicollector / RBCC (1962) #116 has this shown for creator contributions.

Writer(s): Gary Brown, J.B. Clifford Jr., John Ellis, Raymond Miller, Bill Parente, Keno Don Hugo Rosa - 'Don Rosa', Howard Siegel, James Van Hise.

Penciller(s): Mike Zeck

Inker(s): Mike Zeck

Editor(s): James Van Hise

Cover Artist(s): Keno Don Hugo Rosa - 'Don Rosa', Mike Zeck

885649.jpg

DON ROSA provides a Valentine's Day-themed cover starring The Spirit and Ebony. The Spirit is also featured on MIKE ZECK's back cover.

Here's his early work checklist. I think one of these is his 1st cover, though the Savage Sword was an inside cover art contribution.

October 1974:

The Savage Sword Of Conan (1974) #2

February 1975:

Rocket's Blast Comicollector / RBCC (1962) #116

October 1975:

Creepy Things (1975) #2

Scary Tales (1975) #2

Although Rocket's Blast Comicollector / RBCC (1962) #116 has this shown for creator contributions.

Writer(s): Gary Brown, J.B. Clifford Jr., John Ellis, Raymond Miller, Bill Parente, Keno Don Hugo Rosa - 'Don Rosa', Howard Siegel, James Van Hise.

885649.jpg

DON ROSA provides a Valentine's Day-themed cover starring The Spirit and Ebony. The Spirit is also featured on MIKE ZECK's back cover.

Very, VERY cool info!

Thanks Bosco!!!

885649.jpg

And here is the Mike Zeck back cover art. One of the sellers on Ebay was kind enough to take this photo.

n9JJtCP.jpg

Looks like Zeck noted it was his by inserting his name on the paper in the trash.

and here is the front ;)

Conan2_zps763c5a87.jpg

I stupidly forgot Zeck did the inside cover too... and to make it even more annoying, he was actually at the show where this book got signed!! doh!

Here is the inside cover of Savage Sword of Conan #2.

lkvmdkdl.jpg

It's been so many years since I opened this book, I totally forgot this art was inside.

Captain_America_Vol_1_286.jpg

one of my all time favorites. that and the orange cover with deathlok. the third cover in the deathlok group is kind of ho hum.

is he just not doing comics anymore? really an underappreciated guy..although i think there was sometimes a bit of a drop-off between the awesome covers and the interiors, which, of course, happens with a lot of artists