• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch opp question

3 posts in this topic

Im new to the sketch cover stuff and was just wondering is it better to just tell the artist the character you want and let them be creative and do what they want or to tell them exactly how you want the characters positioned and such?

Depends on you really, or at least that's what I think. If you want Professor X jumping his chair through a ring of fire then you better be really specific. If you just want Professor X then ask for that and leave it up to the artist.

I personally ask for a character and specify which version (by sending a reference pic or two) and things I'd like. For example Zatanna with her top hat or Batman having a battle damaged suit. Other than that it's totally up to the artist. I have had great success with it. Of all the sketches I have had done by this method, one was pretty good and the others were far and away above what I expected.

I also love the surprise of not knowing what will come. I have a Deadpool vs. Wolverine in the works and have very little parameters for it and cannot wait to see what it looks like.

Im new to the sketch cover stuff and was just wondering is it better to just tell the artist the character you want and let them be creative and do what they want or to tell them exactly how you want the characters positioned and such?

It depends on what your wanting. I would come prepared have an image of the character and costume you want the character in ready. Other than that you can have an image of the position ready and stuff, but ask the artist if he has any ideas if he does and if it sounds better let him go with it. The costume is the biggest thing because they may be unaware of the character or he may draw the character in a costume you don't like. For instance the first time I had Daredevil done for me I ended up getting the Black Armour Costume because I didn't specify what costume the artist drew which costume he prefered.So imagine asking for SpiderMan and because you didn't specify you got armoured Spidey when you wanted him in his classic costume or black costume.