• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wolverine full trailer!

167 posts in this topic

He says he agrees with the Shaven One. So say we all.

Hope you don't mind if I wait for his answer :whatev:

lFpZ4z4.gif

:baiting:

Honestly, I really do like Hugh Jackman in the movie only because he transformed himself into something bestial and full of rage. And especially the way Jackman pushed himself physically to convey strength, endurance and an aggressive nature that I would expect of Wolverine.

But I haven't given up on the comic book character image of Wolverine. I just think the Marvel creators that have worked on Wolverine have not been consistent over the years. If Wolverine was always 5'3" tall, some of the stories we have seen him in would be much different because many times he is drawn as a much taller character - but maybe not by much. An example:

karate-kid-sony-pictures-1984-martin-kove-pat-42717.jpg

Pat Morita was 5'3" to Martin Kove's 6'1" size, and you can see the tremendous difference. But that photo also shows you a 5'3" Wolverine would not be up to someone's knees, or so small he would appear powerless to defeat a bigger opponent.

Now let's look at some examples of Wolverine in comics.

wolverine_10.jpg

Sabertooth is supposed to be 6'6" tall, and 275 pounds. An extremely large individual to go up against. Yet in that famous cover, Wolverine would appear to be between 5'7" to 5'8" tall if I was to guesstimate the size difference. If he was 5'3" tall, the difference would be even larger than what is conveyed on that cover, and in the book itself. Dolph Lundgren is 6'5" to 6'6" tall and was weighing around 250 pounds when he filmed Rocky IV. When you see him next to Sylvester Stallone's 5'10" height, it is like having your kid brother standing next to you. And from an interview with Stallone about his Rocky movies, he shares his weight throughout the different films.

"For my next film, Rocky IV, I went up to 173. I like this weight, because it is a fuller, rounder look, more in keeping with the old Roman athletes.”

WNAuKjb.jpg

Now if we look at another great cover from that series, Wolverine 8, we find Logan standing next to The Hulk. Looking at the Marvel Database, Hulk is between 7' to 8' tall, 1,040-1,400 pounds (1,040 pounds?). But they commonly go for as large as possible, so I would assume more the 8' range. Think of the size difference between a 5'3" tall, 195 pound person compared to 8' tall, 1,000 (+) pound person. We are talking about a small car next to a kid. Yet on that cover, Logan appears to be a guesstimated height of 5'7" to 5'9" tall, even when leaning into The Hulk.

detail.jpg

An example of the difference would be Sultan Kosen's 8'1" tall height compared to Al Roker 5'8" height.

tallest_man.jpg

So height differences have been common with Wolverine in comics. As long as they captured the right characteristics making up Logan/Wolverine/James Howlett is what matters most for me with one of my favorite Marvel characters.

In researching the height and weight differences of different actors, I found this to be interesting.

Sylvester Stallone said in an interview: "During [the filming of] Rocky IV, Dolph had hit me so hard I had swelling around the heart and had to stay in intensive care at St. John's Hospital for four days."

Why 'Rocky IV' is the best fight -- Ever!

It turns out Stallone got what he asked for, and then realized he took on too much.

So, how can Marvel retcon Logan into being 6'2"-6'4" so all the people that like Jackman as Wolverine be right? They already changed the shape of his claws & where they come out of his hands...

(:

-slym

I'm amazed he went through all that trouble just to show that some take a little artistic license when drawing the character (shrug)

So, how can Marvel retcon Logan into being 6'2"-6'4" so all the people that like Jackman as Wolverine be right? They already changed the shape of his claws & where they come out of his hands...

(:

-slym

I'm amazed he went through all that trouble just to show that some take a little artistic license when drawing the character (shrug)

lol

Just to show some of us put a little more effort into critiquing something other than "He's too tall for that role. So I don't like him."

(:

(:

-slym

lol

Just to show some of us put a little more effort into critiquing something other than "He's too tall for that role. So I don't like him."

(:

Please don't "quote" me and then type something I've never said.

It isn't just the height. But, I will stop there, I know where this is and isn't going.

:D

-slym

Oh, I know. There is more than this. Just some of us move past the differences, and others it is a hard creative line. I do understand.

Hey, but doing some research on Wolverine turned up a forum dedicated to nothing more than Wolverine discussions.

Someone edited a Hugh Jackman photo to make it look like the comic version of Wolverine. Now that I would call spot-on!

rrsXSPB.jpg

Notice how they shrunk him down slightly, added hair throughout, beefer arms, etc. It made a huge difference for me.

GY496Vi.jpg

(:

-slym

lol

(:

Who said I was directly quoting you? But that is the biggest issue you have is the height from most of what you have said. So relax. Heck - we are talking about a darn comic book movie loosely based on a comic book character.

Seriously. It's not like we are debating about how to keep someone alive or keeping people from starving.

You know you're a fanboy if you say....

"They should have made it like it is in the comic"

Sorry if I want a comic book movie to look and feel like the comic it's based on :sorry:

(:

-slym

lol

(:

Who said I was directly quoting you? But that is the biggest issue you have is the height from most of what you have said. So relax. Heck - we are talking about a darn comic book movie loosely based on a comic book character.

Seriously. It's not like we are debating about how to keep someone alive or keeping people from starving.

If you say so (shrug)