• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 7 CGC 9.4 WOW!

74 posts in this topic

Looks like a bargin. I'm surprised that an issue like that didn't end up on Pedigree's site. He could have listed it for $10,000 and someone would have paid for it in no time flat.

That WPA DD 7 was discussed here when it was on Ebay. The thing that stood out was that it was a very generous grade. I doubt anyone looking at the book would shell out 10K for it. Anyone got a scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No scan, but I remember it had about a half dozen color breaking spine stresses 893whatthe.gif

Looks like a bargin. I'm surprised that an issue like that didn't end up on Pedigree's site. He could have listed it for $10,000 and someone would have paid for it in no time flat.

That WPA DD 7 was discussed here when it was on Ebay. The thing that stood out was that it was a very generous grade. I doubt anyone looking at the book would shell out 10K for it. Anyone got a scan? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

No scan, but I remember it had about a half dozen color breaking spine stresses 893whatthe.gif

I remember the same thing too. I thought it was a CGC 9.2? Was it a 9.4? confused.gif

I really wish someone had a scan of it (FF?). The 9.4 that went for 8K really puts it to shame. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Westernpacomics was the seller on eBay. Perhaps someone could ask them if they still have a scan.

I'm also with Osborne-France as even if I could sell my copy for double what I paid, I couldn't do it (since there would be a hole in my DD collection).

True, but if you were patient there may be an opportunity in the future to pick up a much cheaper copy when the census numbers rise. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On books like this, I hate to say it, but it doesn't matter what it looks like. The only thing that matters is the big number on the left hand side of the label. You can have the fugliest 9.4 in the world and it sell for 3 times what a beautiful 9.2 goes for. Before CGC, I wonder how many wealthy, Daredevil fanatics would of passed up the Western Penn copy because they wanted a "nicer" copy.

There's a very simple reason why. Suppose you have a super sharp 9.2 that looks better than this alleged POS Western Penn 9.4 DD #7, and it comes time to sell the book. So you take it to your friendly neighborhood BSD dealer or post it up on eBay or whatever. Now, provide a very detailed explanation as to why this book is better than the 9.4, and ask for a 9.4 price.

Good luck!!!

Anytime anyone discusses PRE-CGC days, my only comment would be:

Even a True NM book in general would have only sold for 10-30% more than a True NM-, not 100-150% more as is today's CGC premium (between 9.2 and 9.4).

well, here's my question on the DD #7;

while we all realize that OS prices for spwcific grades of books are far from the reality of the market, i always thought that the relative value among issues was fairly accurate. he has DD #4 and #7 at the same guide price and #3 higher. however the top price listed in the GPA for a 3 is only about $2500 and this #7 just went for $8k+.

what is it about a new costume that makes this issue so pricey?? or is it truly that rare in grade?? OK, so i looked it up myself and was astonished to see 18 copies of the #3 at or above 9.4 and only 4 copies of #7 at 9.4 with none higher.

now here's my problem, unlike my (used to be) FF#11 for which it will be difficult to find many more 9.4's or higher given the non-key nature of the book and the year of 1962, the DD was almost a Key and came out well into the collecting craze a couple years later. . where the hell are the HG's????

where the hell are the HG's????

While I know that DD #7 is a minor key, the market value clearly reflects the scarcity in high grade.

This brings up a point:

I can see the day where a key issue is not worth as much as a non-key if the census shows extremely low numbers on the non-key issue.

Or as I stated many months ago, two consecutive issues with the same guide value. Highest graded copy of one is a solo 9.2, and the other issue has multiple copies in 9.4. It's possible that the 9.2 sells for more than the 9.4's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And I really believe this to be true if the title is one that can be COMPLETED in high (or uber-high) grade (a la Silver-Age Marvels).

while we all realize that OS prices for spwcific grades of books are far from the reality of the market, i always thought that the relative value among issues was fairly accurate. he has DD #4 and #7 at the same guide price and #3 higher. however the top price listed in the GPA for a 3 is only about $2500 and this #7 just went for $8k+.

what is it about a new costume that makes this issue so pricey?? or is it truly that rare in grade?? OK, so i looked it up myself and was astonished to see 18 copies of the #3 at or above 9.4 and only 4 copies of #7 at 9.4 with none higher.

now here's my problem, unlike my (used to be) FF#11 for which it will be difficult to find many more 9.4's or higher given the non-key nature of the book and the year of 1962, the DD was almost a Key and came out well into the collecting craze a couple years later. . where the hell are the HG's????

Yes, it is THAT rare in high grades. But why?

Well, several reasons:

1) Could it be that this was just one of those books that everybody read, read, and read again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif The story is CLASSIC, one of the great Marvel battle issues of all time, and imho one of the all time best Silver Age issues. Maybe there aren't that many in high grade because everybody read them.

2) The story is also another reason for this book's popularity and subsequent high price; not just the new costume.

3) The dark inks on the cover make any wear/flaws even that much more noticeable. It's like the DD version of Spidey 28.... not as extreme but still the spine and edges are dark. Finding copies with no discernible wear is nearly impossible, as the census shows.

There's a very simple reason why. Suppose you have a super sharp 9.2 that looks better than this alleged POS Western Penn 9.4 DD #7, and it comes time to sell the book. So you take it to your friendly neighborhood BSD dealer or post it up on eBay or whatever. Now, provide a very detailed explanation as to why this book is better than the 9.4, and ask for a 9.4 price.

Good luck!!!

That's exactly my point. On Silver Age keys, buy the label and not the book if you want it as an investment. As a collector, buy the book that appeals to you. A good looking 9.2 will never equal an ugly 9.4 when it comes to monetary value. Aesthetics doesn't always translate into a higher price. This is really evident in moderns. A CGC 10 will go for multiples of a CGC 9.8 even if the naked eye can't tell the difference.

In an open auction, it is almost impossible to overbid for a CGC silver age key. In a couple of years this Daredevil will have been a good buy, because it will be worth more than what it was just purchased for.

Ironically, I remember the auction of the Western Penn Daredevil a couple of years ago and thought the book looked darn nice thumbsup2.gif (Just remember looking at the scans.)

Ironically, I remember the auction of the Western Penn Daredevil a couple of years ago and thought the book looked darn nice thumbsup2.gif (Just remember looking at the scans.)

It was a nice looking book. It just wasn't a 9.4.

This is one of the weaknesses of OS. It breaks out prices for events (key occurrence, new artist, etc.) but rarely if ever because the book is just hard to find in HG. The higher price is definitely driven by scarcity as opposed to the events that take place within the issue (although the kick-[!@#%^&^] cover and great story definitely don't hurt). There is simply no comparison between DD 7 and the rest of the run, it is much much harder to find in HG.

It DOES seem to defy logic that a book that came out this late is so hard to find in HG. But it's always been one of the HG Marvel collector's grails. I was offered the raw Western Penn DD 7 several years ago, pre-CGC, at an astounding 8X multiple. I thanked the seller kindly and told them they needed to get off the crack. 893frustrated.gif Woulda shoulda coulda.

Been on vacation for the last week and a half, but I do have a scan of the Western PA 9.4 from my saved auctions archive-- click here to see it. I can really only see two spine nicks in the scan, but it's really dark...I might be able to see more if I took it into Photoshop and lightened it up a bit. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not at all convinced this auction tells us much. The high bidder is questionable as to whether he'll pay with low feedback kept private, and the underbidder is a major Silver Age Marvel BSD who often pays incredible prices for books he needs. Usually, he wins the auctions he bids on, and this is one of the highest prices I've seen someone beat him at on ebay. The next high bid behind the top 2 was almost $3K less than the top two, so I don't find this sale to be terribly representative of the market for this issue in this grade.