• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do Entertainment Guests at Conventions Charge for Autographs?

125 posts in this topic

I think it's far less interesting to go, "Wow, this is the millionth comic Stan Lee has written on at XYZ convention in 2013."

You've got a fair point, but I think for myself I would view it as "Wow. This is the only comic I've got that's signed by Stan Lee."

Not pointing out you Roy, but I dont understand why people have an issue with celebs/ball players/whomever charging for an autograph.

:shrug:

It's because autographs are boring compared to other collectibles. :sumo:

A person squiggled some lines with a pen.

Unless it's a historical document (say President correspondence), where's the intrigue and excitement?

I can understand how it's exciting to go, "Wow, this is the gun Stonewall Jackson carried at XYZ battle in 1862."

I think it's far less interesting to go, "Wow, this is the millionth comic Stan Lee has written on at XYZ convention in 2013."

Depends on the sig. If it's a baseball from the 1941 all-star game with 5 hof'ers on it, that's pretty darn cool. Or Frank Frazetta signing a book he worked on, or Bob Kane signing an old tec comic. So basically passed on legends' sigs are really cool to me. The convention stuff just doesn't really excite me, either.

Not pointing out you Roy, but I dont understand why people have an issue with celebs/ball players/whomever charging for an autograph.

:shrug:

It's because autographs are boring compared to other collectibles. :sumo:

A person squiggled some lines with a pen.

Unless it's a historical document (say President correspondence), where's the intrigue and excitement?

I can understand how it's exciting to go, "Wow, this is the gun Stonewall Jackson carried at XYZ battle in 1862."

Depends on the sig. If it's a baseball from the 1941 all-star game with 5 hof'ers on it, that's pretty darn cool. Or Frank Frazetta signing a book he worked on, or Bob Kane signing an old tec comic. So basically passed on legends' sigs are really cool to me. The convention stuff just doesn't really excite me, either.

Some people actually like to meet the people they get signatures from. That entails them still being alive when they sign it. (shrug)