• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Violation of Intellectual property rights"?

223 posts in this topic

For the record I recently received an order from Comiclink two days after I sent in payment. I have also bought several thousand dollars worth of books from Doug. The best outcome is for the consumer to have a choice.

If, and I restate "if" Josh has indeed been trying to muscle Doug, there are two conclusions I can easily come to.....

#1: He picked the wrong guy to mess with.

#2: He will end up losing a ton of business over this, including mine.

I hope that what has been posted here is not true. Has Josh filed a patent on his site structure? Has he copyrighted his idea?

I agree.

1) Who ever has the books I want at the price I want, get's my money.

2) I'm sure Doug has enough money (and determination) to win this dispute (if there is one).

I look at both sites, several times a day, and will continue to do so. And anyone else site that sells what I'm interested in. acclaim.gif

What Steve said.....plus the fact that I reserve the right to critique a seller who I think can improve his service, while still using it. I also check both sites daily, and I will always lean towards those sellers that respond promptly to my queries and get the goods into my hands quickly.

Believe it or not, this issue extends far outside the comic book market. The issues of right and wrong don't really have a place here. The legalities of e-commerce in the United States does.

I actually believe that the problems raised in this thread has less to do with the unregulated realm of electronic commerce as they do with the legal, philisophical and poltical cultures surrounding patents. In brief, the belief that patents will actually serve to protect a patent owner from being ripped-off, and the legal machine which drives towards legitmating its imperfect function and process through falsehoods and misdirected opinion, is the real problem at hand. Further compounding the problems associated with a patent system, through its incompetence in dealing with commercial infringement cases before the age of e-commerce (B.E.C), is the element that it has become clearly impossible to regulate the dynamically complex realm of software development, and its technology as it constantly strives towards advancement.

I've discussed some of the pitfalls of patents in another thread. The cynic in me says there is no real "guaranteed" form of protection against someone infringing on your idea. Moreover, as soon as you make a website public, you run the risk that your idea may be lifted by pirates, hacks and thieves -- and as far as I can tell, there is no real way around that problem. While the optimist in me believes that one might be able to slow down or completely deter copycats by: a) bringing down costs of ownership while simulataneously making the technology difficult to obtain or bring to market with any level of expediency; and b) by providing top-notch products and service.

I actually believe that the problems raised in this thread has less to do with the unregulated realm of electronic commerce as they do with the legal, philisophical and poltical culture surrounding patents. In brief, the belief that patents will actually serve to protect a patent owner from being ripped-off, and the legal machine which drives towards legitmating its imperfect function and process through falsehoods and misdirected opinion, is the real problem at hand. Further compounding the problems associated with a patent system, through its incompetence in dealing with commercial infringement cases before the age of e-commerce (B.E.C), is the element that it has become clearly impossible to regulate the dynamically complex realm of software development, and its technology as it constantly strives towards advancement.

...unregulated realm...philisophical and poltical culture...legitmating...imperfect function...Further compounding...dynamically complex realm...

hulkthinking.jpg

Hulk head hurts!! confused.gif

Wake Hulk up when Supreme Court hears Schmell v. Nathanson... sleeping.gif

I actually believe that the problems raised in this thread has less to do with the unregulated realm of electronic commerce as they do with the legal, philisophical and poltical culture surrounding patents. In brief, the belief that patents will actually serve to protect a patent owner from being ripped-off, and the legal machine which drives towards legitmating its imperfect function and process through falsehoods and misdirected opinion, is the real problem at hand. Further compounding the problems associated with a patent system, through its incompetence in dealing with commercial infringement cases before the age of e-commerce (B.E.C), is the element that it has become clearly impossible to regulate the dynamically complex realm of software development, and its technology as it constantly strives towards advancement.

...unregulated realm...philisophical and poltical culture...legitmating...imperfect function...Further compounding...dynamically complex realm...

hulkthinking.jpg

Hulk head hurts!! confused.gif

Wake Hulk up when Supreme Court hears Schmell v. Nathanson... sleeping.gif

Come to think of it, the Hulk is a perfect character for you doc -- it suits your philistine personality on these boards mad.gif

And btw, you can take that dig, shine-up all those comics your selling, and shove them up your [!@#%^&^] sideways, you braindead [!@#%^&^]!

interesting stuff - this!!!!!!!

as someone who has sold his first dozen books on Doug's site - i find this particularly intriguing. i'm scratching my head to figure out what the Intellectual Property in question is.

i have my own idea, but would take Supa's advice and refrain from putting it into print.

here's hoping this just blows over and CL understands that competition is both inevitable and often good. certainly it will benefit the comic collector community if CL uses this as an impetus to improve on it's customer service.........

i wouldn't want anyone to have to spend a bunch of money on lawyers to straighten this out......... devil.gif

Jeez Loweez -

first it's POV vs BOC and now Comicwiz is PO'd at Dr Banner. maybe it's just the end of summer that has folks stirred up............ grin.gif

everyone step back, count to ten, take a deep breath and go buy some outrageously priced SA beauty (BB's) on Doug's site........... devil.gif you'll feel much better 893applaud-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif certainly not a bad idea Brad... but the board gives so much $$$ as it is.

I'd match you also if a fund is started.

However... NEW Consignments would not only help Doug financially, but will improve the quaity and selection of his site.

Maybe a Consignment Drive would be a better idea?

confused-smiley-013.gif I'm sending over about (20) more books by this weekend. Maybe we should start one?

How many quality CGC books could the forum account for if they felt so inclined?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

everyone step back, count to ten, take a deep breath and go buy some outrageously priced SA beauty

What, BB? Is that SA a dig at my recent awareness and enjoyment of BA? Huh? I think it was directed right at me!!! Better watch it now! blush.giftongue.gifstooges.gif

everyone step back, count to ten, take a deep breath and go buy some outrageously priced SA beauty (BB's) on Doug's site........... you'll feel much better

I tried, but you keep turning me down.

boo.gif

But, that ain't stopped me from spending way too much in the past three weeks. acclaim.giftonofbricks.gif

Joseph... I'm quite sure Mike was not mocking you. I'm sure just about everyone here (and the lurkers) appreciate and look forward to your informative posts. In this thread, they've been the most enlightening without doubt.

Sometimes, as Aman mentioned, your understanding and professional experience concerning technical/IP matters are a little beyond some of us. I too was having a little trouble comprehending your last post in particular. My fault, not yours.

Unfortunately, sometimes you may have to "dumb it down" a wee bit for some of us grin.gif

Please keep the quality posts coming. thumbsup2.gif