• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Disney 1-30 pre Barks

69 posts in this topic

Here are 4 5 and 6

#4 Great Christmas gag, one of the better ones. Old school HD&L which is always fun to see. Great detail work. I've rarely if ever seen one for sale.

#5 Striking colors, I like the patch on his knee and the pillow. Plus, check out the peep hole in the fence even though there's already a huge heart cut out.

#6 Another classic Donald as we like him - frustrated with events and ready to throw a temper. Great earth tones and backgroud coloring, something you don't see in todays computer generated funny books.

wdcs4.jpg

wdcs5.jpg

wdcs6.jpg

7 8 and 9.

#7 is really pretty interesting with lots going on and a different kind of artist (or an older image used for the comic). The gags not all that funny but I like the cover.

#8 you either love it or hate it. Once again the knot shows up in the fence, was that common in the 40's?

#9 Classic gag that takes a second or two to catch. Great coloring as usual.

wdcs7.jpg

wdcs8.jpg

wdcs9.jpg

10 11 12

#10 has a classic Donald cover with devilish grin. Can someone explain the gag?

#11 is a great classic image, almost posterlike. Is it Walt Kelly? Perfect coloring and framing with a sweet gag.

#12 Another classic exasperated Donald cover. It looks like he is signalling a right turn. Love the underwater colors.

These three covers look like a shift in style from the covers on the Mickey Mouse Magazine.

wdcs10.jpg

wdcs11.jpg

wdcs12.jpg

Issues 13 14 and 15

#13 A classic cover never to be reprinted or redone. Great gag, great imagery, and a classic Donald cheapskate move.

#14 Total old school Huey Duey and Louie, love the expressions, it must have been an old cover or image brought forward. Not the greatest gag or artwork and I'm not sure about the pink background. Notice that every aspect of the bike is bent, from the spokes to the seat to the metal. BTW, what is that little cloud to the left of the handle bars? Also, what is the brown patch supposed to be ground or a pile? How about some artistic perspective please.

#15 Funny Donald situation but once again I don't quite get the gag. Is he trying to re-kill the turkey or is he trying to carve it up? Maybe its a reference to issue #2, wouldn't that be a little macabre.

wdcs13.jpg

wdcs14.jpg

wdcs15.jpg

Awesome!! laugh.gif This is a great thread thumbsup2.gif

as for #15, I think maybe a "funny situation" is all there really is to the gag? I think it's just showcasing donald's violent side grin.gif

The more I look at #14, the more I think the kids piled a stack of leaves around the concrete sundial - hiding it - and then told donald to ride through the leaves ending up in a big... SPLAT!!

I think you're right on #15.

The more I look at #14, the more I think the kids piled a stack of leaves around the concrete sundial - hiding it - and then told donald to ride through the leaves ending up in a big... SPLAT!!

I think that's exactly what happened.

BTW, what is that little cloud to the left of the handle bars?

I think it's an air cloud from burst front tire 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BTW, what is that little cloud to the left of the handle bars?

I think it's an air cloud from burst front tire 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it is the bicycle "giving up the ghost" so to speak. Either that or the smoke from the "smoking ruin" that is the bike.

The nice thing about these early covers is that they are a kind of Rorschach test for us. "What do YOU see in this image...?" 27_laughing.gif

Plus the demented looking nephews are just...freeky...

And if you DID run into the sundial in the direction the bike is laying (not through the leaves) why is he skewered on the pointy thing instead laying on the other end confused-smiley-013.gif

I've GOT to stop looking at that cover, it is messing with my mind...

OK, 16 17 and 18

#16 is a classic Christmas gag advanced from #4. Its easy to miss that the dog actually got part of Donalds bottom Santa costume. Groovy Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. Love the stare from Donald straight at the viewer. The more you stare the more disturbing it gets. Always great to see backwards letters on the note, this won't be the last time that effect is used

#17. One of the first among many "runaway" covers, especially snow-sport type. Great gag, love HD&L expressions (1. I'm confused. 2. I'm pissed 3. Holy !!!) With Donalds eyes closed, one can only wonder whats in front.

#18. Fantastic coloring, the shading behind Donald and the book and the table is great. Classic candy stripe inside the pillow case, I always liked that, where can I get a pillow like that today. Not sure of the gag. Did HD&L beat him up? Or was it Donald who used the slingshot and just got his butt kicked, literally. He is injured in three ways, eye, head and butt. It kind of makes sense but while the image is great, I don't know exactly what happened.

wdcs16.jpg

wdcs17.jpg

wdcs18.jpg