• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Disney 1-30 pre Barks

69 posts in this topic

I like the posting of runs that have been going on, especially those that aren't seen too too often. Pretty sweet gags. I'll post 3 at a time of the first 30 issues and see how village photo handles the load.

#1 is a classic number 1 issue cover. Great colors and perspective gag. Not sure about the red speaking lines that, all but one, are hidden by the red background

#2 has a more modern Donald for its age relative to some others like #7 or #14. Good gag, great image of Donald as we know and love him.

#3 continues the similar Mickey Mouse Magazine type covers that end around issue 9 or so. Kind of boring cover but rarely seen for sale.

wdcs1.jpg

wdcs2.jpg

wdcs3.jpg

I just picked up a copy of #20 & 22 (Both 3/4 covers sadly, but were about $14 each, so...)

and i was really happy with them. They were my 1st 2 pre barks & i plan to get more. The big shock to me was how much i liked the other strips back then, even Mickey Mouse was good!

Thanks for posting some of my favorite books - these are really

hard to find in nice shape. As always, I will pay extremely well

(forget about guide) if anyone has pre-Barks copies in VF+ or

better. Also interested in nice copies with minor restoration.

The complement of my want list is shown below.

wdcs.jpg

Are you friggin kidding me, that lot is ridiculous. I assume the want list is for books you don't have as opposed to the ones (gulp) shown.

To a previous reply, yes these are mine, I bought a collection issue 1-87 and have sold the G-VG copies 1-30 as well as the VG-F from 31-87, but I kept the scans. I did keep about half the 1-30 issues , you'll be able to tell the keepers from the non. BTW, these 3 are keepers.

I have to admit that the interior reprint newspaper gags are entertaining but not nearly as compelling as the covers. Though, it is cool to see the Donald "grow up" during the 30's and early 40's strips.

Great books!!!! I love 'em, keep posting! Regarding your comment on #3 having a boring cover, I couldn't disagree more! I think those covers are 'classic', not boring. Much like Superman 14, etc... not a lot of action on the cover, but that's the beauty of it - much more of an iconic image cool.gif

Maybe not Superman 14 which has a lot going on both artistically and symbolically, but Superman 6 (Standing pose with circle background) or #9 (jump through the cover), Some think those are classics, I personally find them a little stale. Issue 14 is probably one of the best covers of all time.

Don't get me wrong I get a kick out of all the covers, simple and detailed. Just by being a Donald cover and a #3 issue from 1940 makes it a classic. Of the first 3, it is the least best IMO.

much more of an iconic image

I was thinking the same thing, Bronty. Sure you can have your characters in all sorts of amusing, frightening etc. situations but sometimes a good sized, spot-on, simple rendering is the image we remember. It really IS an iconic image! thumbsup2.gif

Why? Because, well, in this image, Donald simply stands alone. The imagination is free to run anyway it wishes! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

> well said pov, you old codger!

I was just about to say the same. #3 is my favorite cover in the entire run. I once saw a photo of a near mint copy with incredible colors - it was instantly burned into my retina and has remained there ever since.

> well said pov, you old codger!

I was just about to say the same. #3 is my favorite cover in the entire run. I once saw a photo of a near mint copy with incredible colors - it was instantly burned into my retina and has remained there ever since.

Yes - it immediately impressed me as well. First tie I saw it but form the three posted that one really hit home. It simply is a work of art. thumbsup2.gif

I believe it! ..and I take it the book must not have been for sale! wink.gif

The thing I love about the cover of #3 is that it works on two levels. First off, it's a beautiful, classic, iconic image as mentioned above. And secondly, I take one look at that cover and I know some sort of disaster is going to unfold with Donald in a position of responsibility like that. I'm kind of giggling before I even open the book... smile.gif

I love the cover of #69 for the same reason. Some of you old-time forumites might remember it as it was my avatar for a long while. hkp/ft88, any chance you could post a scan of your #69? 893crossfingers-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

I know some sort of disaster is going to unfold with Donald in a position of responsibility like that. I'm kind of giggling before I even open the book...

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Let's see. His chest seems a bit puffed. His eyes are looking "off camera". His whole demeanor is one of pride. Yeah! I think disaster is just SO close!

Good call! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifgrin.gif

oh yeah, 69 is great! gonna pop himself in the beak he is!

Its not my favorite, but i have not been able to grab a copy of #38. I specifically go after halloween covers, so thats high on my list, but i never seem to find one for sale confused-smiley-013.gif My fave may be #14 because it looks so odd, but i am really partial to the Clarabelle cover on #8 too since its the only one. I of course have neither... frown.gif

oh yeah, 69 is great! gonna pop himself in the beak he is!

(

..not just about to pop himself in the beak, but about to blow off his entire face 27_laughing.gif That cover kills me smile.gif

The clarabelle covers... hmm.. can't think of them offhand, but I look forward to checking them out when they're posted thumbsup2.gif