• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fugliest Key Book You Own Appreciation Thread

74 posts in this topic

Had to scan my Brave and Bold #1, just for this thread:

Front:

BraveBold1fs.jpg

Back:

BraveBold1bs.jpg

It's not very pretty, but it was one of roughly 50 comics that I bought off a homeless guy in Berkeley, CA.

i LOVE the early B&B's cloud9.gif

that back cover is pretty gruesome, but the front covers displays quite decently thumbsup2.gif

Here's one of my lowest graders, and if it weren't for the fact that Subby's head is missing, the book would probably grade out in the Fair/Good range as there are pieces missing out of the interior too!! cloud9.gif

allselect1.jpg

OOPS - looking quite OK until you reach subby. looks like someone cut him out for some other purpose. devil.gif

Shoot, I had the fugliest of fugly key books...but I sold it! It was about half a Captain America Comics # 1, coverless, missing first four wraps and two centerfolds. Had about 32 pages left, only one story was complete.

I bought it from a guy in the Phillipines, and the way he described how he came across this and some other Golden Age treasures, it was pretty clear that these books had all been moldering in the Phillipines since the second world war! 893whatthe.gif

I miss it and want it back.

ps, someone paid about $230 for the privilege of owning it on ebay last year!

Oh, and I also had a Daredevil #1 that I sold about two years ago on ebay. This one was torn almost completely in half horizontally, from the right edge to about 1 1/2" from the spine, the covers and all interior pages. Then, someone taped each page together with scotch tape at least a decade ago judging from the condition of the tape. Man was that issue fugly.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have scans of either of these monstrosities!

This is the lowest grade book in my collection

That's really not a bad looking book at all. And that particular issue always goes for big bucks whenever it pops up on eBay. I've bid on one a few times, and I always get sniped at the end.

I used to have an old Wow Comics(forget the number) where Mr. Scarlet's head was completely missing; just a perfect hole in the cover remained. What are people thinking when they do that [!@#%^&^]? confused-smiley-013.gif

Great thread! Here is my contribution. That BSD who paid $8K for their 9.4 copy ain't got nuthin' on me - I'm gonna READ my copy tonight! (And would you believe: my other copy is at CGC...)

Sounds like one of those bumper stickers......"My other car is a Rolls Royce!" 27_laughing.gif

Great thread! Here is my contribution. That BSD who paid $8K for their 9.4 copy ain't got nuthin' on me - I'm gonna READ my copy tonight! (And would you believe: my other copy is at CGC...)

Sounds like one of those bumper stickers......"My other car is a Rolls Royce!" 27_laughing.gif

That's right, Red:

"MY OTHER SLAB IS A 9.4"

Gentlemen, read it (uh, view it?) and weep... smile.gif

Not exactly a key, unless you count the "Big Change in Goliath!" . smile.gif And I agree - tape isn't restoration! Sometimes it's downright necessary! smile.gif This is actually an extra copy, if anyone is dying to own a scrub copy.

I've got some other scrub Avengers issues that I can post, but I'm fixin' (as we say here in the South) to go to work...

580547-Avengers35Front.jpg

580547-Avengers35Front.jpg.ee77a089b1108c424dc7658a854aa35a.jpg

That FF Annual is actually a pretty decent looking book. I used to have a copy that was structurally nice, but it had one major flaw. It looked like the original owner left it under a sun lamp for about thirty years! confused-smiley-013.gif