• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever think about the $$$ you lost enjoying this hobby.

162 posts in this topic

Just notice a great thread over in the sales section that had X-Men # 1 - #30 for $15.

Now when I bought these issues off the stands 20+ years back... cover price before tax was around $41.45 for all thirty of these issues purchased over the course of almost two and a half years.

Figure in the gas involved to get to the shop/store those thirty different times... and add the tax... plus the cost of bag and board (because who didn't b&b those hot X-Men books) and I'm just wondering how much money I have thrown away over the years.

Not just on X-men... but the majority of titles I can pick up now at 50 cents or less.

If I had all that money now, I'm sure I could purchase a AF #15's in low/midgrade at least hm

Some simple quick Rupp math shows this...

Did I purchase over 1000 comics in between '91 - '94? Hell yes I did.

If cover price averaged $1.00 - $1.50 and we take the average of $1.25 for each of those 1000 books then I'd have spent $1250.

If I'd have waited 20 years and bought them at 50 cents, they would have only cost me $500... or a savings of $750.

Now lets just say that we purchased 1000 books from '94 - '97, and 1000 from '97 - '00, and 1000 from '00 - '03, and 1000 from '03 - '06, and 1000 from '06 - '09, and 1000 from '09 - '12...

And for clarity, lets just keep that cover price average at a incredibly low $1.25 even though cover prices have steadily increased to around the average $3.50 today.

That's only 7000 books and at $1.25 average, that's $8750 (before tax, gas, b&b).

At 50 cents each those 7000 books now (probably already b&b) would cost $3500... thus saving you $5250. :o

Current 90 day GPA on a 3.0 Amazing Fantasy # 15 is $5950... which is pretty close to the savings listed above.

Yes I know the value is in the entertainment value... but still, it hurts to think in hindsight. :facepalm:

How many movies have you seen in the same time period? What do you have to show for them?

How many movies have you seen in the same time period? What do you have to show for them?

Plenty of scars due to the faceslaps I received from the girls I was trying to cop a feel from in the darkened theater.

What kills me to think about more is that at the current average of $3.50 per new comic... 7000 books would cost $24500 (before tax, gas & b&b.).

In 10 - 15 years, if those books only cost you 50 cents, then you could have saved $21,000 !

That's a slightly used, new Toyota Camry.... Arrrrgh!

I do think it’s not just an entertainment value. As long as you buy what’s meaningful for you at some point, sooner or later it will coincide with what truly has artistic value, not just commercial value, or "hype" value.

And then you won’t care much about what you have spent in previous times, assuming it’s reasonable. :)

I could have saved a lot of money not buying beer and liquor during the past 20 years but then I wouldn't have those experiences to remember. When I bought those books that go for $.50 (if I am lucky) back in the day I enjoyed buying them and had I instead saved that money, I would have missed an important part of my life.

Ever think about the $$$ you lost enjoying this hobby.

Sure. All the time. Then I think about all the $$$$ I wasted on my person_without_enough_empathyeyes Ex and all of a sudden I don't feel so bad any more. Really.

I'm way ahead on gold and silver I've bought and sold, but have probably spent around 15K on new stuff over the last 30 years. Even now I only buy a couple comics a week on average, and maybe one trade or hardback a month, but even with LCS and Amazon discounts it adds up over time.

When I've sold copper/modern stuff, I probably haven't averaged more than a buck or so a book on comics, and trades and hardbacks probably take a good 50% drop from what I paid as well, so yeah, without even factoring in gas and effort to sell, I lose at least a buck for every two I spend, but that's usually worth the entertainment value - especially when compared to the resale value of paperbacks and other reading material.