• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever think about the $$$ you lost enjoying this hobby.

162 posts in this topic

What kills me to think about more is that at the current average of $3.50 per new comic... 7000 books would cost $24500 (before tax, gas & b&b.).

In 10 - 15 years, if those books only cost you 50 cents, then you could have saved $21,000 !

That's a slightly used, new Toyota Camry.... Arrrrgh!

I think your point is valid. This is one reason I quit buying modern comics altogether. I saved an extra $10,000 last year and dropping comics from my budget was a big contributing factor.

DG

... but still, it hurts to think in hindsight. :facepalm:

This will help soothe the pain...

You have over 15,400 posts. If each post takes about 5 minutes to create and post, that is 77,000 minutes, or 1283.33 hours.

If you worked those hours at just the current minimum wage of 7.25 per hour, you could have earned over $9,300...

...which you could have spent on comics. (thumbs u

I like it! The value of time... :sumo:

What do you pay for Cable TV? I bet you have absolutely nothing to show for that...
Sports. That's why I have cable. Nothing like living and dying with your team each game, each season.

All I know is that any comic I sell I end up ahead because I bought all my 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's comics off the stand. No way I will take a loss. I never got caught up in paying high prices for comics or anything for that matter. Say what you will, but I have one of the finest comic collections around and I only had to buy them all off the shelf for cover price. I never could understand why someone would brag about paying some ridiculously high price for anything. I think more highly of the guy that gets something for near nothing. To me he saved himself money instead of throwing it away. Thats just how I feel about collecting. And I just recently quit buying comics because I just don't see these new books as making any kind of profit because they make too many. Plus the superheroes of today are not the superheroes I remember. They have changed them too much for me to enjoy. And I'm winding down on the collecting because of my age. So I'll say I never think about the money spent on my comics. Its just not a loss for me.
So...unless you have a time machine or are, what, eighty, don't buy comics? Actually, that's a good plan. Don't think it'll work for me personally, but a good plan nonetheless.

I don't see much point to remorseful thinking. You change and what used to be the right focus for you suddenly isn't. I never thought I'd move on from buying new comics each week at the LCS - but 3 years ago I did, or find that I didn't miss going to comic marts. Silly to punish yourself for decisions made at a completely different time and in different circumstances that, more than likely, were the right combination for you back then.

I only consider it a loss if I buy from the wrong place and overpay, or if price fluctuates very quickly and I miss out on the deal. Long term, like if something I buy for cover is worth 50 cents a year later, doesn't bother me. If I buy a back issue for $40 and then a decade later it's worth four dollars it doesn't really bother me.

I overpaid by about $50 on a comic just recently, and missed out on two preorder discounts on comics I plan on buying but haven't yet. So those I consider losses. But for a comic you really want it can be overlooked. I have plenty of good deals too.

... but still, it hurts to think in hindsight. :facepalm:

This will help soothe the pain...

You have over 15,400 posts. If each post takes about 5 minutes to create and post, that is 77,000 minutes, or 1283.33 hours.

If you worked those hours at just the current minimum wage of 7.25 per hour, you could have earned over $9,300...

...which you could have spent on comics. (thumbs u

I have factored that. Usually, I post when I'm too exhausted to work. I am in a mode of posting AND resting right now.

DG

I had a hiatus from collecting for about 6-7 years. When I got back into collecting, I looked at all the money I spent on magazines, price guides, and publications about comics and I was frustrated that I'd not bought comics instead. I don't buy price guides anymore and I only rarely buy comic magazines now.

DG

I am supposed to lose money doing this? That was not in my written detailed plan when I started. Thus far I am up much more than I paid for these items according to the aggregate average based on the full value of the collection.

Now would I possibly lose on a few books right now here and there? Sure, but there are books I have that have doubled in value and will make up easily and then some, for any loss on those few books I bought because I like them and had to have them.

To those that say you 'can't take it with you', I say you can pass it on and make a true difference that way. Either through the sale or enjoyment of my high grade collections, those that survive me will be able to do great good with the proceeds, should they choose to sell.

Respectfully,

'mint'

To those that say you 'can't take it with you', I say you can pass it on and make a true difference that way. Either through the sale or enjoyment of my high grade collections, those that survive me will be able to do great good with the proceeds, should they choose to sell.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Chances are, your heirs won't want to deal physically with the dozens of boxes and piles of accessories you'll leave behind. Or deal with the considerable time and effort involved in monetizing your collection. On top of that, they'll be grieving and will have other things on their minds.

Cashing out most or even some of your collection before you leave this earth would likely be greatly appreciated. It's a much better way to make a difference with your heirs, who don't share your personal attachment to your stuff accumulated through your life.

As far as leaving your heirs keepsakes, there are probably far more personal items that would carry more meaning than your boxes of comics, backing boards, mylars, price guides, auction catalogs, etc. A couple of comics? Sure. Thousands of them? Not so much.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Chances are, your heirs won't want to deal physically with the dozens of boxes and piles of accessories you'll leave behind. Or deal with monetizing your collection. On top of that, they'll be grieving and will have other things on their minds.

Cashing out most or even some of your collection before you leave this earth would likely be greatly appreciated. It's a much better way to make a difference with your heirs, who don't share your personal attachment to your stuff accumulated through your life.

You are correct. However, just in case I die with no warning, there are written instructions that should be followed within my will as to the disposal of the collection. This is all planned upfront.

My comment was more geared towards individuals who have the 'live for today, can't take it with you' attitude. You can plan for almost anything and that includes having a plan as to how to properly sell, donate, or even curate a collection.

Respectfully,

'mint'

My wife knows how much my collection means to me, and she knows how important is to me that it goes to our 7 yr old grandson when he turns 18 or

smiley-angelic011.gifsmiley-angelic011.gifsmiley-angelic011.gif once he's completed college (and receives the kind of education that will make him rich :wishluck: )

So I need to stick around long enough to teach him how much my collection means to me.

What do you pay for Cable TV? I bet you have absolutely nothing to show for that...

Just pulled out my most recent cable bill. I have all the premium channels, all the reg/HD channels, 3 HDDVRs in my home and 20 mbps Internet service.

My bill is $23 total out the door. :)

Damn bastards be charging me for the 2nd and 3rd HDDVR. Those should be free like everything else. Just one of the perks of working for the evil cable company.

lol

A few different views from a variety of boardies concerning my quandary of monetary loss... hm

As stated in my original post, I realize that one really can't put a "price" on enjoyment... which is why the majority of us buy these damn things.

When I first started collecting waaaaay back when, my dad asked me why I wanted to collect comic books. I told him that I enjoyed reading them... and after seeing those old Mile High two page ads in my new comics... that they had value.

"Value?" Pop said. "Son if you're worried about "value" then you should collect money".

Hmmm. Money..... :idea: