• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

L.B. Cole cover recreations

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone have insight on how many cover recreations L.B. Cole did? I read (in the Original Art Price Guide) that Cole did a number of them in the early 80s. If anyone has any information about which covers were recreated, when they were done, and where they were originally sold, I would appreciate it.

Does anyone have insight on how many cover recreations L.B. Cole did? I read (in the Original Art Price Guide) that Cole did a number of them in the early 80s. If anyone has any information about which covers were recreated, when they were done, and where they were originally sold, I would appreciate it.

Don't know how many he did, you which ones (boy I'm a big help).

There was an Ad in the 1980 Overstreet Price Guide, where it states how much he charged (cover size and 1 1/2 times size). Also, says you might have to provide the actual comic cover you wanted done, and you could decide if you wanted the Title Logo or not.

Did you win the one in Heritage's last auction?

I really was considering it (as I am a huge L.B. Cole), but it sold for a lot more than I thought it would.

They were originally solicited via Ostreet Pr Guide. Some (including Alex Schombourg) were later resold via illustration-house in USA. U can try an archive search for L.B. Cole prices realized.

There are multiple painting re-creations of Mask #2 in circulation.

Thanks for the replies... the fact that there are more than one recreation per cover image was news to me. I didn't bid on the Blue Bolt cover in the last Heritage Auction, but I wouldn't have had the cash for that anyway... it topped out at $8050. It's a beautiful, large painting...

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=812&Lot_No=4080&src=pr

I've seen the large sized Mask #2 recreation for sale (Nick Kronfeld auction from over five years ago) and the small sized Suspense #8. Any others that you've seen out there? Were all of these done prior to 1985?

While I don't have my copy here to check, didn't the L. B. Cole issue of the Overstreet Price Guide picture a number of the recreations that he had done at the time?

Good call! In addition to the painting pictured below, OS 11 also shows reproductions (finished, or in progress) of:

Mask 1

Terrors of the Jungle 21

Thrilling Crime 49

Terrifying Tales 13

cole_painting.jpg

Thanks for the info about OPG #11... I knew that there was some Cole info in there, but I've never had a copy to check out. I'll be sure to get one to read about the paintings.

I'm a huge fan of the Mask #1 and Thrilling Crime #49 covers... I'd love to see those up close!

Most of the Leonard Cole covers were re-created btwn 1980-85. Mask 1 & Mask 2 twice up? (about 15 x 24 inches) paintings sold at Sotheby's 1996 for around $1,800 & $1,595 respectively. Mask 1 cover was re-created at least 3 times which may lend to softer resale prices compared to Blue Bolt 105, arguably Cole's best cover. sumo.gif

At $1,800 & $1,595, those are steals of epic proportions. I would imagine that the twice-up Mask 1 or 2 would go for at least 9K today.

It might be best that I don't see that Mask 1 cover for sale... I would be very interested. It's possibly my favorite cover ever.

Most of the Leonard Cole covers were re-created btwn 1980-85. Mask 1 & Mask 2 twice up? (about 15 x 24 inches) paintings sold at Sotheby's 1996 for around $1,800 & $1,595 respectively. Mask 1 cover was re-created at least 3 times which may lend to softer resale prices compared to Blue Bolt 105, arguably Cole's best cover. sumo.gif

I agree that Blue Bolt #105 is probably one of Cole's best covers. It seems that this book nevr gets very much hype in comparison to some of Cole's other classic covers. I guess this is one of the reasons why it is still priced so low in the OS guide.

Does anybody here have a high grade copy for sale or even seen a high grade copy of this book around? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Nobody drew better devils and skulls!

Thanks for the post... That Blue Bolt cover is not seen as frequently as some of the later ones in the run. I like the 105 cover, but consider it in the next tier of Cole covers behind Mask 1 and 2, Blue Bolt 111 and 115, Suspense 8, Contact Comics 12, Captain Flight 11, etc.

Regarding the Mask 2 recreation... that's $1800 in 1996, not 1986. 4-5 times increase in value in 8 years is pretty damn good!