• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #500 Director's Cut - Good luck...

103 posts in this topic

Why would you go to that much trouble? You really think this might be worth something in NM condition? confused-smiley-013.gif

Doesn't sound like much trouble. If they are all sitting there in front of you why not get the pick of the litter?

why bother, just take the middle one.

For many people (myself included), the point of wanting the nicest copy you can find of a modern is not the potential monetary value, but is simply the desire to have an excellent respresentation of that issue in your collection. There's nothing wrong with that.

I guess it goes back to getting what you pay for.

Do you settle for a new car with warn tires or a few paint dings?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Not quite the same comparision, although the sarcasm is noted. thumbsup2.gif

I guess it goes back to getting what you pay for.

Do you settle for a new car with warn tires or a few paint dings?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Not quite the same comparision, although the sarcasm is noted. thumbsup2.gif

Well, you're talking to a guy who was ready to walk out on a decent deal on a new car due to a $0.11 error on the dealer's part that he wanted to rectify and I didn't.

crazy.gif

Without looking at the numbers I would think that the Spider-man 509 DC issues were less printed than the Avengers #500 DC issues.

The Avengers issues were more promoted than the Spider-man ones.

deathlok,

I can certainly understand how you might see this as an exercise in futility. It probably is, but it's kinda fun in an obsessive/compulsive way to cherrypick through a stack to find the best copy. I've mentioned it before, but moderns are not very good bang for your buck when you consider how much they cost vs. the time it takes to read them (and often how slow the story moves along). So if I can add another layer of enjoyment to my purchase, it makes the money spent all that much more satisfying.

Look at it from this angle - When you buy a back issue, is monetary value your ONLY consideration when deciding what grade to purchase it in? I would hope that in the instances where you choose a higher grade copy, it's because it looks better and not just because it's worth or costs more $$$. It's really no different than picking out best modern you can. Well, except that those comics might actually be worth something someday. insane.gif

Look I am all for wasting time searching for a cherry looking modern book. I just think that anyone who actually participates in this inane ritual is fooling themselves into thinking that they are actually accomplishing anything.

As for the back issue market, anything prior to 1992, condition is a key element regardless of price. I would much rather have a great looking Astonishing Tales #20 than a okay looking copy. However, I wouldn't waste my time searching for a great looking copy of Squadron Supreme LS #7, trying to find the best copy.

Modern books, especially non-key issues will not hold their value. So digging through the bin finding that Mint book is a serious waste of time. Don't get me wrong, there are things I do with my books that are a waste of time, I still do them.

I just find statements like the one that started this thread as extremely amusing.

Look I am all for wasting time searching for a cherry looking modern book. I just think that anyone who actually participates in this inane ritual is fooling themselves into thinking that they are actually accomplishing anything.

As for the back issue market, anything prior to 1992, condition is a key element regardless of price. I would much rather have a great looking Astonishing Tales #20 than a okay looking copy. However, I wouldn't waste my time searching for a great looking copy of Squadron Supreme LS #7, trying to find the best copy.

Modern books, especially non-key issues will not hold their value. So digging through the bin finding that Mint book is a serious waste of time. Don't get me wrong, there are things I do with my books that are a waste of time, I still do them.

I just find statements like the one that started this thread as extremely amusing.

lol, Deathlock! It is easy to say that the Modern market won't hold its value: who here is going to remind you of your prognostication 20-30 years from now when it proves out?

Anyway, to clarify: I am an Avengers completist, I buy the best copies I can, but I don't spend an excess amount of time weeding through new copies for the best one. However, if you actually SEE a stack of these books, you will find that it is very easy to pick out the best copy - most of the copies at my store were dinged, bent or stressed which was noticable due to the type of cover Marvel used.

thumbsup2.gif

lol, Deathlock! It is easy to say that the Modern market won't hold its value: who here is going to remind you of your prognostication 20-30 years from now when it proves out?

Anyway, to clarify: I am an Avengers completist, I buy the best copies I can, but I don't spend an excess amount of time weeding through new copies for the best one. However, if you actually SEE a stack of these books, you will find that it is very easy to pick out the best copy - most of the copies at my store were dinged, bent or stressed which was noticable due to the type of cover Marvel used.

thumbsup2.gif

You don't have to be a prognosticator to tell the Modern back issues value, just go back 10 years and take your pick of an issue.

Those of you that do hand pick the racks are just fooling yourself. You can debate it all you want. Obviously you guys feel you need to justisfy your actions. I already told you if you want to waste your life searching for your mint copies, then have at it. Spend all day in the comic shop with the magnifying glass. In 10-20 years, your copy will be equal to mine.

thumbsup2.gif

You don't have to be a prognosticator to tell the Modern back issues value, just go back 10 years and take your pick of an issue.

Those of you that do hand pick the racks are just fooling yourself. You can debate it all you want. Obviously you guys feel you need to justisfy your actions. I already told you if you want to waste your life searching for your mint copies, then have at it. Spend all day in the comic shop with the magnifying glass. In 10-20 years, your copy will be equal to mine.

Or you could waste your time debating the pros and cons of whether you should do it or not. tongue.gifstooges.gif I sure wish I kept my ASM#238 in 9.9 condition. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey chrisco,

I got pretty lucky on my USM 64. My Avengers 500 Dir. Cut is ok but not great.

In general, I think that DC's being printed today have have fewer production flaws than the Marvels I'm seeing at my LCS. Has this been your experience as well?

Cheers,

Jim