• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

Love those Northlands. They actually might be my favorite SA pedigree. acclaim.gif

I sure wish I owned more of the early Northlands, Steve. My only gripe with the pedigree (besides the FF13 turning up with a partially detached centerfold, according to CGC frown.gif ) is that the quality of books from around '67 on is not as high, ironically, as the older books. Recognizing this, Michael Goldman downgraded many of the later '60s Marvels to VF/NM or NM- grades. Below is just one example of a later NL book that has great structure and gloss, but also yellowing on the front and back covers, especially along the spine:

664073-Thor155NL.jpg

664073-Thor155NL.jpg.1fc90abad4b5c8d0186e0c32b6af830e.jpg

Very Interesting.

It might be similar with the Pacific Coast which in general has lesser page quality as the books get newer.

That said, because there are NO IDENTIFYING marks on most SA pedigrees, I'm sure that there are books floating around (and maybe even CGC'd) with a Pedigree Certificate that are NOT truly from the pedigree collection. I'm not implying that your book isn't a Northland, especially if you see a consistent pattern of aging on books from that period.

While this isn't something anyone really wants to here, and since most SA pedigrees has some DOUBLES (or more), there is nothing to stop someone from CGC'ing a book uses the pedigree certificate (a la the Northland certificates), and then trying to sell a raw book in the approximate same grade as the pedigree copy (with the certificate).

That said, because there are NO IDENTIFYING marks on most SA pedigrees, I'm sure that there are books floating around (and maybe even CGC'd) with a Pedigree Certificate that are NOT truly from the pedigree collection. I'm not implying that your book isn't a Northland, especially if you see a consistent pattern of aging on books from that period.

While this isn't something anyone really wants to here, and since most SA pedigrees has some DOUBLES (or more), there is nothing to stop someone from CGC'ing a book uses the pedigree certificate (a la the Northland certificates), and then trying to sell a raw book in the approximate same grade as the pedigree copy (with the certificate).

While there may be a few exceptions, Steve, I don't recall there being any NL duplicates in Motor City's original listings. You raise an excellent point that the pedigree "system" has the potential for abuse, but the CGC census should be helpful (if not definitive) in this regard.

As for my NL books, I bought them directly from Motor City, and so have complete confidence in the authenticity of their ped status. On the other hand, I've seen lots of books at shows that are alleged Mile High II books that I've wondered about, and with the many replicates of certain books that MH II contains, keeping legitimate track of the pedigree is not straightforward at all.

thumbsup2.gif

Good price and because it's a white cover the crease at the top right really doesn't look bad at all. Probably can press it out (oh, sorry).

893applaud-thumb.gif

I have the book now and can comment.

It looks MUCH worse in the scan. From arm's length I can't even see a hint of it. I'm psyched.

My DD run now has Green River, White Mountain, Bethlehem, Pacific Coast, Western Penn, Northland and Curator. thumbsup2.gif

My DD run now has Green River, White Mountain, Bethlehem, Pacific Coast, Western Penn, Northland and Curator. thumbsup2.gif

So why haven't you sent me a nice scan of your Green River yet? sumo.gifsumo.gif