• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your newest Pedigrees!!!
7 7

3,123 posts in this topic

Newest Western Penn Arrival
hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Deathlok;

Totally hilarious as after 20,000+ posts, you get all excited over a 9.2 Iron Man #1, and yet don't know what a high grade All-American #16 or an Adventure #40 is. screwy.gif

Makes as much sense as a newbie collector rushing in and trampling over 9.6 copies of Fantastic Four #1 or Journey into Mystery #83 so they can get their hands on the 9.2 copy of Spawn #1 or Ultimate Spidey #1. 27_laughing.gif

If I were to find a nice copy of said All-American #16, I'd quickly flip it and buy stuff I actually wanted. gossip.gif

There's a difference between being a newbie, and just not caring all that much.

Deathlok;

Totally hilarious as after 20,000+ posts, you get all excited over a 9.2 Iron Man #1, and yet don't know what a high grade All-American #16 or an Adventure #40 is. screwy.gif

Makes as much sense as a newbie collector rushing in and trampling over 9.6 copies of Fantastic Four #1 or Journey into Mystery #83 so they can get their hands on the 9.2 copy of Spawn #1 or Ultimate Spidey #1. 27_laughing.gif

For me, the Iron Man #1 has much more sentiment to me than an Adventure #40. I own 2 midgrade copies of Iron Man #1, so I can appreciate a high grade copy. I do not own, nor do I have interest in a All-American comic. Besides the book is a pedigree copy, not just an everyday Iron Man #1.

I have less tolerance for Spawn collectors or even 9.8 copper age X-men collectors, because those books are plentiful in high grade.

Deathlok;

For me, the Iron Man #1 has much more sentiment to me than an Adventure #40. I own 2 midgrade copies of Iron Man #1, so I can appreciate a high grade copy. I do not own, nor do I have interest in a All-American comic. Besides the book is a pedigree copy, not just an everyday Iron Man #1.

I have less tolerance for Spawn collectors or even 9.8 copper age X-men collectors, because those books are plentiful in high grade.

not that I collect Spawn at all, but what's wrong with Spawn collectors?

Deathlok;

Hi Deathlok; hi.gif

In total agreement with your comment that collectors should focus on what they are interested in as the Iron Man #1 has much more sentimental value to you. thumbsup2.gif

Disagree with your comment, however, that you don't have any tolerance for Spawn collectors or CA X-Men collectors on the basis that those books are plentiful in high grade. Census numbers shouldn't have any major imapct here since it should really be about what you as a collector are interested in.

Just went in and took a look at the CGC numbers. Agree that Spawn has more copies graded with a total of 1,885 copies with virtually all of them in 9.4 or above. Iron Man #1, though, isn't that far behind with 1,124 copies graded and over 250 of them in 9.2 condition or better. So, even though the IM #1 is a pedigree copy, it still seems pretty common in that grade.

To take your point of view further, the All-American #16 has a total population census of only 9 copies graded with the highest being a mere 5.5 Fine- copy. The Adventure #40 has a total population census of only 8 copies graded with the highest being a 7.0 F/VF copy. Probably would not be surprised if Bangzoom's copies would blow both of these away from a condition point of view. Although I grew up with the IM #1's, I certainly appreciate the HTF books a lot more, especailly when they are in conditions that comes around only once or twice in a lifetime.

Does this mean that collectors should be less tolerant of the Spawn #1 and even Iron Man #1 because they are just so plentiful in grade? Not necesarily so as everybody has their own interests and to each their own, I guess. After all, a lot of the MA collectors apparently couldn't care less about a Fantastic Four #1 or a Brave & Bold #28, and I certainly don't have a problem with that.

Doesn't mean I necessarily agree with their point of view, but I certainly do understand it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seems to be the first thread that a lot of board members now check on a daily basis as he slowly reveals them one photo at a time.

I love this thread because it showcases some of the finest books out there in all types of genres. I can count on it to expand my collecting horizons if I ever decided to dabble in collectiong outside Bronze/Modern, which I'm familiar with. when members show top stuff from these genres, it has more sentimental value for me but from spending time on these boards, I can appreciate what others have to offer. I blame greggy for my growing penchant for DC romance books foreheadslap.gif

Mass copy just in:

tos65m.jpg

Nice book Rich...I must have looked at that book 20 times over the last few months and was just not able to pull the trigger...(need to keep my focus...)

Congrats!!!

Thanks Bill!!! I've had my eye on it for months too. TOS is usually my 4th or 5th option collecting wise, behind TTA(of course), ST, ASM and sometimes JIM. This book however was high on my list for sentimental reasons( see my post in "this week in your collection). After many offers he finally knocked $50 off so I jumped on it insane.gif It's just a much nicer book than other 9.4's I've seen of the same issue. thumbsup2.gif

Mass copy just in:

tos65m.jpg

Nice book Rich...I must have looked at that book 20 times over the last few months and was just not able to pull the trigger...(need to keep my focus...)

Congrats!!!

I had my eye on it as well. I have the 64 Boston and 66 Northland, so this copy would have fit well into my collection. I made a healthy offer for it, but was hesitant to pull the trigger because my threshhold is usually off white to white. Let me know if you ever decide to sell.

Btw, beautiful book. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. This is my first slabbed pre-hero pedigree comic, probably the first of many. I'm starting to understand why collectors prize pedigrees so much. Man, this can become addicting!

Angelo