• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Numbers

10 posts in this topic

I plan on writing some journals spotlighting some really interesting comic series that people may be unaware exist. Today I start with Big Numbers.

To those who have never heard of Big Numbers this was a self published series by Alan Moore that was poised to be his "magnum opus". What, you've never heard of Alan Moore's greatest comic ever? There's a reason why.

Published in 1990 the series teamed up comic's greatest writer with one of comic's greatest artists, Bill Sienkiewicz. I haven't loved everything Sienkiewicz has produced but when he's on his A game there are very few better and despite being in black and white this is the best work I've ever seen from him. The comic is absolutely stunning. The story is about the effects of a US-backed shopping mall on an English town (much of what I'm writing here is cribbed from Wikipedia). Moore would analyze the effects through fractal geometry, chaos theory and the mathematical ideas of Benoit Mandelbrot. Sounds cool? It is.

So what happened? Apparently the strain of producing the magnificent photo realistic art was too much for Sienkiewicz and he bailed out of the project after just two published issues. Years later ten pages of art for issue #3 were published in the magazine Submedia. The task of finishing the series was passed to Sienkiewicz's 19 year old assistant, Al Columbia. For those unfamiliar with Columbia let me just say he may be the most enigmatic comic artist of all time and I will speak of him more in future journals. Columbia also bailed out and supposedly destroyed or absconded with all the art he produced. A complete lettered art for issue #3 was found and posted online.

It's a shame because if you read the first two issues it's clear this series had monster potential but alas maybe it was more than the world could handle.

13423.JPG

See more journals by David Swan

Dear David,

Awesome journal!

To be frank, I was getting tired of the same old sh&t I keep reading on the journals... BORING!

But your post has restored some faith and now I will be on the lookout for your next journal post.

One of my favorite collaborations between Alan Moore and Bill S. is a little known book called Brought to Light, a graphic novel published by Eclipse in 1988. That was some real heavy sh&t exposing the dirty dealings of the CIA. Look it up on Wiki.

I bought a copy last year on eBay for about $50 in NM condition.

Sadly, due to its size, like Taboo (From Hell) and Warrior Magazine, CGC can't encapsulate them. Oh well, such is life.

I wrote a journal which I titled "Conspiracy Theories Comic Book Style" but I am too chicken to post. It's all about several intriguing CT's that are very controversial and quite frankly I don't want to push the envelope.

Keep up the interesting journals! You can see by the reactions we dig it!

SW3D

Excellent post David. I read this series years ago so I need to re-read it again to be able to contribute more. However, I was totally impressed by the mathematical ideas within the story. I would sure like to be able to track down a copy of the book: “Life is a fractal in Hilbert space” by Rudy Rucker too.

Of interest, Bill Sienkiewicz signed my copies of 1 & 2 at the NYCC 2012. We didn't get the chance to talk much about the comics themselves - but of interest, he posted a fractal type image on his facebook page a few days later. Maybe it was just a coincidence though.

Thanks for the great post.

BTW - for SW3D - I have also read Brought to Light. I'll try to post some more info about it when I get the chance. However, I actually managed to get a copy of the paperback version graded by CGC a few years ago. I.E., I am the owner of the single 9.2 copy on the census.

Dear KK,

You're the owner! HOLY mess!

Last summer, probably late August or early September, i called the CGC to get pricing on grading Brought to Light... and also costs for Bill S's signature since he was at NYComicCon.

They had no clue and I mentioned to the them that there was one BTL in census population... and they told me they couldn't grade any further copies.

There is also one Warrior Magazine Number 1 in population... Are you also said owner?

Could you post a pic of your lone copy of BTL? I am so envious of you!!!

And if you want to part with it... perhaps i could make a reasonable offer?

SW3D

Hi SW3D,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I had to find a charger for my digital camera.

It’s really too bad that the option doesn’t exist to submit more copies of Brought to Light. Have you tried talking to CGC again?

It’s interesting that there is a single copy of Warrior Magazine #1 in the census. I am not the owner though. For Warrior Magazine, I have only read V for Vendetta (as a DC reprint). I have never had the chance to own any original copies of this series. I would be interested in reading issues that include Jim Baikie artwork.

As requested I have posted my copy of Brought to Light in CGC 9.2. I’ll have to spend some time meditating as to whether or not I should part with this great book though. If you can help me track down one of the books I am looking for – I’ll definitely consider parting with it though.

Also included is a picture of the issues of Big Numbers that were signed by Bill Sienkiewicz during the NYCC.

137371.jpg.b0837790ff2a06d1c31b384983c77ab4.jpg

137372.jpg.122e57999607bae814d2762f0ee73ba5.jpg